Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

123drb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
I've been holding off upgrading from my 4 because I live in an area with no 3G signal at all and if I forget to toggle 3G off (in Settings/ General/ Network) when I come home, I often lose the signal completely. I only get a usable phone signal back when I toggle 3G off. I'm in the UK on O2 BTW.

There are lots of threads about this issue but I haven't seen one which simply asks for the info (as opposed to endless & pointless debate about "why would you want to do that?"/ "I can do it on my 4" etc :rolleyes:)

So, just for clarity, if you have a 4S and you've now updated to 5.1, please could you post a very quick reply with your country, your network and Yes or No to the question, "can you toggle 3G on/off in Settings/ General/ Network?"

Cheers!

rbgatti

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2011
USA
No toggle for me...I have a 4S, on 5.1 and ATT in the US. Always says 4G now when not on WIFI.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I can't, I'm on AT&T. I heard it was an AT&T specific issue though and that other carriers with this option can do it.

Bigmacduck

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
4S with Swisscom carrier and iOS 5.1: toggle switch works
Saves battery in areas with weak 3G signal.

entwife

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
I have had the toggle on my 4s since iOS 5.0. I'm on O2 uk.

I'm under the impression it's a carrier choice as it appears to be mostly American carriers that dont give you the option.

DocGo

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2008
Toronto
Yes, I can toggle on/off 3G on my iPhone 4S. I am using it with Rogers (Canada) although my phone is a factory-unlocked unit I bought directly from Apple.ca

floobie

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
Canada
I think this is carrier dependent to some extent... I'm on Telus in Canada, and my 4S does have the toggle. It really shouldn't, though, IMO. Telus doesn't have a 2G network. So, if I turn 3G off, I'm completely without service.

But, yes, the toggle is there on my 4S, to explicitly answer your question.

And the post above mine answers it perfectly. Looks like the OP should retain his 3G toggle.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.