Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
won't it just scale to fit the screen regardless of dpi, so ultimately isn't it the pixel dimensions alone that are the critical number? i.e. 2048 x 1536?

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Correct, only the pixel dimensions matter

Arguably, the iPad3 resolution is so high that 1:1 pixel matching is not necessary, because your eyes cannot distinguish individual pixels on the ipad screen. That is the whole point behind "retina" level resolution.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Keep in mind that your dimensions will be slightly off if you are talking about a web page. Safari is going to use up some of that screen real estate.

motorazr

macrumors 6502
For photos themselves, I've experienced that the iPad 2 does a great job of scaling full-resolution 18MP photos to fit in a crisp manor; I can't imagine the new iPad would do anything less except allow an even more exceptional view to begin with.

Although as noted, web-pages are special.. I deal with these some and the original iPad has already been a challenge for clients who don't want to make new iPad / iPhone sites but expect images to magically double or triple normal resolution seamlessly...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.