PDA

View Full Version : Read Only Attribute in Program Folder Files?

Huntn
Mar 8, 2012, 05:49 PM
I'm using Windows 7 for some work related programs and gaming. I've noticed that when I check properties on my Program Files Folder and Program Files Folder (x86) everything in there seems to have the "read only" attribute associated with it. Recently when I installed Steam in there, it was read only and it did not work. Consequently I had to move it outside of the Program File Folder to the top level of the C File to get it working.

Now I have another work related program that seems to be unhappy with the "read only" status of this folder. To clarify the "read only" attribute is highlighted blue. It does not have a check mark.

The kicker is when I try to change these folders and all of their files to "read", ie remove the "read only" attribute, it first tells me I need to be an administrator (which I am), I go through the steps, Windows seems to cycle through the files and the "read only attribute" goes away only as long as I keep the window open. If I close it and reopen it, the "read only" status is still there.

Should these folders be full of "read only" files? I'm thinking no because then how would programs be able to update anything in them?
Any help appreciated. Thanks! :)
-Dave