Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
I am a new convert to this whole MAC thing.

My mini is showing up up tomorrow and I had a couple questions. I am going to do some video editing for reviews of products. Basically I will need to watermark the videos and maybe splice in and out video if there is a mess up or something along those lines. Also, possibly a stop motion zoom in on something real fast with some text popping up.

Nothing at the pro level for sure, but some basic editing.

What app should I use? Is iMovie good for this? I think that comes free with the OS?

Thoughts?:confused:

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
iMovie will be capable of everything you mentioned. Its interface is quite okay, depending on what you are used to. What did you edit with on Windows?

If you need some fancier titles and text, you can think about adding "Apple Motion" from the App Store, which is 50$. But that might already be over the top for you.

With iMovie's interface, you can also easily upgrade to Final Cut Pro X later, if you want to do more advanced projects. It is pretty different from most other professional non-linear editors though.

Give iMovie a try, it comes free with your Mac.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
I used just the free movie maker on windows, so nothing fancy at all. I just was not happy with the quality I was getting though and did not wantto shell out hundred of dollars to get something decent.

I will look into apple motion as well, $50 doesnt seem all that bad if iMovie doesnt work out.

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
If you used Windows Movie Maker, iMovie is perfect for you. It has a very similar concept, but is better in many ways (in my opinion).

I will look into apple motion as well, $50 doesnt seem all that bad if iMovie doesnt work out.

Motion is meant for something different, not for editing. You can do animations and visual effects, but also nice titles and fonts in 2D and 3D. It would be an addition to iMovie that might be interesting in the future, seeing how you talked about adding titles to your videos. (simple titles can be done in iMovie too...)

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Motion is meant for something different, not for editing. You can do animations and visual effects, but also nice titles and fonts in 2D and 3D. It would be an addition to iMovie that might be interesting in the future, seeing how you talked about adding titles to your videos. (simple titles can be done in iMovie too...)

oooooh ok, so I could edit the movies in iMovie then take Motion and add in text and cool looking animations? That sounds pretty interesting ... Definitely more attractive now.

cr2

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Add memory if you can..

Consider upgrading the memory to 8GB or 16GB -- third party. Mac handles and utilizes memory far better than windows. Congratulations on your new Mini.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Consider upgrading the memory to 8GB or 16GB -- third party. Mac handles and utilizes memory far better than windows. Congratulations on your new Mini.

thanks! So I know with PC's 4gb was plenty for the average user. Is this not true for macs? The more the better or is 8gb the sweet spot of macs to run smooth?

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
thanks! So I know with PC's 4gb was plenty for the average user. Is this not true for macs? The more the better or is 8gb the sweet spot of macs to run smooth?

The Mac and all "normal" applications will run very smooth, even at 4GB! However, if you are editing movies, especially if you are using "pro" applications like Motion, it doesn't hurt to upgrade... You will feel the difference instantly. That and the fact that 8GB memory are really cheap right now are two good reasons. :)

The poster meant that many Windows-programs, and also the operating system, can't use more than 4GB (well actually 3GB) reasonably, but MacOS is pretty good at managing its memory.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
hmm ok, I will definitely look into upgrading the ram ... any brands or sites in particular I should look at?

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
http://www.macsales.com/

----------

And don't forget that there is a learning curve attached to the 50 dollar. Motion is not really plug'n'play.

thanks for the link ...

I figured there would be a learning curve. There always is with this type of software ... but I am assuming there are plenty of tutorials I can learn quickly from.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
Oh, yeah. There's a mother load of free tutorials on Youtube. The Holy Cow has some good stuff and Rippletraining.

The basics of Motion are pretty easy to learn. It is the depth of the program that is overwhelming.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
that is good though :) must mean there is a lot of options I can play with haha

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
Yes, there are. However, be aware that if you don't use the fancier options on a daily base, you forget most of the stuff again (at least an old fart like me).

cr2

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Sorry, I was not clear. 4 works great but with prices so cheap 8gb makes sense. I am stuck on 4 on my latest MBP as I am just waiting for 16gb to drop....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.