PDA

View Full Version : Anyone buying the iPad?

docgerrard
Mar 9, 2012, 12:58 AM
I feel like with the ultraportable MBA (and an iPhone) i really don't have a need for the iPad.

I really want it though lol. Anyone else buying it?

mellofello
Mar 9, 2012, 01:10 AM
yup.

GF steals my MBA, and my imac is doing TV duty most of the time. Leaves me with just my work PC(blech), or my iphone. I'm buying the ipad more to get my MBA from the clutches of my GF.

AlexH
Mar 9, 2012, 01:12 AM
I already have an iPad 2. Bit the bullet and decided to go ahead and get a MBA 13". The iPad is great for basic tasks, checking email, surfing, etc. But when you get right down to it, the MBA is a full blown Mac capable of just about anything I throw at it from photo editing, video, word processing (which I personally can't do on an iPad. The form factor and keyboard is just weird when I'm typing a 15 page paper), etc. It can handle so much more. It's a full mac (and compared to even my 2008 MacBook Pro, quite a powerful Mac too).

So moral of the story is, iPad is fun, MBA is fun and useful for me. Some of you may be able to do what I do on an MBA on your iPads, but I can't do certain things.

onthecouchagain
Mar 9, 2012, 01:13 AM
One might think this thread is out of place, but I appreciate that the OP created it. I'm actually really torn on the new iPad mainly because I don't want it "cannibalizing" my Air. I fear I won't be able to look at my Air screen the same way after using the iPad, or I may just not use the Air as much.

I just can't justify the purchase of the iPad, as much as I'd like one. All it'd do is make my life slightly more convenient. Not sure 500+ is worth that ticket...

jojoba
Mar 9, 2012, 02:11 AM
I have an iPad2 and a MBA 13". They complement each other very well. For daily portability, I prefer the iPad due to touch screen/ long battery life/ 3G/ ability to use a stylus. It functions as my note book and carries my entire research library, I do all my pdf reading and annotation and note taking on it.

I use my MBA for more content creation and 'heavier' work, and bring it with me if I travel for more than a night or two. I got a 13" rather than a 11" due to increased screen size.

KylePowers
Mar 9, 2012, 02:19 AM
I feel like with the ultraportable MBA (and an iPhone) i really don't have a need for the iPad.

I feel the exact same way! I think I'm just on an Apple event high :p

But I'm hoping it'll pass haha. With my 11in and an iPhone, definitely no need for an iPad. But maybe if I move up to a 13in MBA, I could squeeze in some use :D

yup.

GF steals my MBA, and my imac is doing TV duty most of the time. Leaves me with just my work PC(blech), or my iphone. I'm buying the ipad more to get my MBA from the clutches of my GF.
Hahaha this! My gf always uses my MBA, which leaves me stuck at my desk on my iMac. If I want to move around, compute on the bed, etc, all I have is my iPhone. First world problems, amiright?

Roman2K~
Mar 9, 2012, 04:49 AM

I really want it though lol.

I'm in the exact same boat :rolleyes:. I absolutely don't need it. Completely redundant with my MBA. But with the Retina display, I just can't not buy it :D.

Or should I say, "rent" it. I'm sure the novelty will have worn off within a week or two of use (or lack thereof), and then I will sell it. At least that's what happened with the iPad 2, but it didn't have the major game changer that is the Retina display.

scarred
Mar 9, 2012, 05:52 AM
I am also torn. I have a pre-order out for the iPad, but I'm waffling and thinking of cancelling. The iPad is certainly the more portable device, but this Air (even at 13) is surprisingly portable as well. I'd bring the iPad with me to more places I guess...

If I get the iPad now, I probably won't get the 2012 Air (was going to get the 11"). The kicker is the screen on the iPad murders the air display. The battery and FaceTime camera are also much better. I don't see the Air achieving a 10 hour battery life anytime soon.

Fleet would mac
Mar 9, 2012, 05:55 AM
The trouble with that is that if your GF also starts stealing your sexy new iPad, she'll (by virtue of it being a single-user operating system :() have full access to your facebook account, e-mails, calendar, and so on. Are you sure you want that?! ;)

I have similar problems and for me it's the showstopper preventing me from going out and buying any iPad. I don't mind this restriction on my iPhone because I am the only one who uses it, but I want an iPad that friends and family can share from time to time without having to compromise my privacy. Will it ever happen? I hope so, otherwise I'll probably be doomed to Windows 8... :mad:

BillG53
Mar 9, 2012, 07:21 AM
I was given an MBA 11" for Christmas instead of an iPad 1 and I liked it so much that about a year ago I replaced my Bill Gates Virus Magnet PC with an iMac. I've been using an iPhone 3G for a few years now. I'm glad I got the MBA instead of the iPad because it allowed the further development in the iPad line of the Retina display. I have not found that the MBA replaces my desire for an iPad. I am hoping that the iPad's touchscreen and the apps that are created for the iPad will give me the useability I feel I don't have with the MBA. With the addition of the iWork apps to the iPad, I am wondering if the iPad will not replace the MBA more than the MBA obviate the need for an iPad. In some cases I can see that having the MBA keyboard would be desired over the iPad. I am looking forward to combining all 4 products with the iCloud and Apple TV.

Boyd01
Mar 9, 2012, 07:49 AM

That sums up my own feelings. The iPad is cool - I got the original one for my daughter's family when it came out. But it still just doesn't appeal to me for some reason and the retina display doesn't change that.

iOS is brilliant on the iPhone - it lets me do all kinds of things away from home and fits in my pocket. But if I'm going to carry around a big device, I want a real computer. I'm a fast touch typist and will never be happy with a virtual keyboard.

I find it odd that I don't want one actually, but I'm pretty happy about that because I have way too many electronic gadgets already. :)

Roman2K~
Mar 9, 2012, 08:15 AM
@Boyd01

I'm a touch typist too. I hate typing on phones or on the iPad. For my use (mostly web browsing), an iPad is not needed. But it's a bonus: though I can obviously browse the web on my MBA, the iPad offers a more enjoyable experience.

I prefer touch based web browsing. I had an iPad 2 at some point, and that preference has developped unexpectedly. However, while I did enjoy that a lot, I couldn't stand the low resolution so I sold it.

What I'm hinting at is that the iPad is redundant with an MBA for a lot of tasks while being better at some, like web browsing IMO. Perhaps not enough to justify keeping it, but it's worth a try.

To me, the Retina display might very well be this justification.

KPOM
Mar 9, 2012, 08:19 AM
I have been a MacBook Air user since the first model (I have the 11" i7 now) and did not purchase the first two iPads but did pull the trigger with this version (Verizon LTE). There is enough iPad-specific content out there so that it makes sense to have both if possible. It will create an interesting decision point when I travel, though. Up to now, I have taken the MacBook Air. I may take the iPad on short trips now. I doubt I'll bring both, though.

ChristianJapan
Mar 9, 2012, 08:20 AM
you have a creative user name ... :)

BigMcGuire
Mar 9, 2012, 08:38 AM
After using a PC since I was a kid in the late 90s, I decided to get a Macbook Air 3 weeks ago to see what it was like - badly needed a laptop too. My excuse for getting the Air was that I wasn't going to get the iPad 3. <cough>

Well, the wife's laptop is 3 years old and work buddies are doing ipad development... Needless to say, 2 iPad 3s are pre-ordered. I do a ton of reading online and via the Kindle app. I figure it can only compliment the Macbook Air.

I'm pretty OCD about keeping my stuff clean and in new condition so the iPad 3 should help me keep my Macbook Air even cleaner, right? <cough cough>.

Definitely an Apple convert (iPhone 4s, Macbook Air, iPad 3 now). Tho, PC gaming system for now.

thelookingglass
Mar 9, 2012, 09:12 AM
I had an 11" MBA, which I just passed down to my dad as his first Mac in almost 20 years. He loves it.

Meanwhile, I've got my iPad as my portable device and my iMac as a workhorse. I will never go without an iPad in this lifetime again, so long as Apple continues to manufacture it. Just way too convenient and enjoyable for web browsing, archiving/accessing all of my key personal and business files, reading via the Kindle app, reading/marking up PDFs using Goodreader, watching video, staying connected on the go (particularly wit 3G and its 10-hr battery life). I am believer in the tablet form factor.

That said, I'm still going to have to pick up some sort of a laptop soon. The iPad still has a few limitations that can't be solved by any existing apps. What I need is either filesystem access or a central storage folder that all apps can share. Tired of having multiple copies of the same file on my iPad just so I can send those files by email, etc. I also need a full-fledged Office-compatible suite. Pages and Numbers are beautiful, well-designed and easy to use, but the business world is stuck on Office for the foreseeable future.

gentlefury
Mar 9, 2012, 09:23 AM
I thought the keynote was hilarious when Phil Schiller, after Namco showed off some ****** looking flight sim game (seriously looked like something from the 90s!) says, "Gaming of this calibre has never before been available on a device this portable!"

A little while later, I booted my MBA into windows and launched Mass Effect 3 for an hour. Come on Phil....are you forgetting apples real compact computer?????

orfeas0
Mar 9, 2012, 09:48 AM
One might think this thread is out of place, but I appreciate that the OP created it. I'm actually really torn on the new iPad mainly because I don't want it "cannibalizing" my Air. I fear I won't be able to look at my Air screen the same way after using the iPad, or I may just not use the Air as much.

I just can't justify the purchase of the iPad, as much as I'd like one. All it'd do is make my life slightly more convenient. Not sure 500+ is worth that ticket...

If you use a smartphone and want but not entirely need a tablet, you can buy an Asus Padfone, which is basically a phone which you convert into a tablet ;).
I know, it's not Apple, but it seems pretty nifty. And you can even connect it to a keyboard and convert it to a laptop.

So basically, 1 device, 3 functions.
Oh and it has a capacitive stylus for taking notes which is also a headset :P

nomanstool
Mar 9, 2012, 10:09 AM
buying an iPad 3 as soon as it is available. It will be a good transition tablet before I see some good win8 tablets ;)

ZBoater
Mar 9, 2012, 10:26 AM
Yup, I did. A different tool for a different purpose. As thin as the MBA is, the iPad is a lot more mobile, and it works great for email and web browsing.

I still need to come back to my MBA to run Quicken for Business, Rapidweaver, and other apps....

billp1
Mar 9, 2012, 10:40 AM
I just sold my IPad 2 and purchased the 11 inch Mac Air with the Thunderbolt Monitor. This gives me a docking station with a small powerful computer.

A big investment but now my replacement for my IPad is a real computer.I have a pay as you go Virgin Mobile MI Fi so that keeps me mobile with the Air if need be.

I have spent my first week without an IPad and so far so good. See how it goes.

thelookingglass
Mar 9, 2012, 10:42 AM
I just sold my IPad 2 and purchased the 11 inch Mac Air with the Thunderbolt Monitor. This gives me a docking station with a small powerful computer.

A big investment but now my replacement for my IPad is a real computer.I have a pay as you go Virgin Mobile MI Fi so that keeps me mobile with the Air if need be.

I have spent my first week without an IPad and so far so good. See how it goes.

This is essentially what I did when the 2010 MBA came out. Passed my iPad 1 down to a family member, then tried to get along with the MBA. What I discovered was that there truly are certain tasks, say reading a book, browsing the web in a comfortable position on the couch or in bed, watching videos on a plane, for which the experience on an iPad is unparalleled. I tried to use my MBA in the same way, but just couldn't. Form factor doesn't allow for it, battery life is too short and the heat/fans were annoying.

importluva
Mar 9, 2012, 03:34 PM
MBA has been relegated to work computer. iPad for casual browsing and video on the go.

They both have their uses and can coexist i think.

Kissaragi
Mar 9, 2012, 04:00 PM
Im doing the opposite, will be selling my ipad 2 and getting a 2012 macbook air. The ipad is great, but i just keep finding small things i can only do on a full computer. Dont really have the funds to justify having both.

Beau10
Mar 9, 2012, 05:44 PM
I came close to pulling the trigger... but I'm eagerly anticipating the Ivy Bridge MBA update (have a 2010 11" base that I'm pushing the limits of) and know I'll probably get the next iPhone as I desperately want to switch from AT&T to Verizon :D

I have the original iPad, used it a ton the first 6 mos, now just pretty much use it as an eReader, just a bit too slow. And I told myself whenever they upped the res I would do it, but 3 Apple products per year just seems a bit too much.

TraceyS/FL
Mar 9, 2012, 06:23 PM
I still think i need an MBA for school stuff (i bought a mini for my immediate must buy NOW to do my online classes), but I so WANT the iPad3. I have a 1 that is used daily and well loved.

It would be easy if I wasn't facing 9-18 more months of school, but after my first 5 weeks of school (mini-quarter), i'm still finding myself wishing for the 11" MBA.

I guess i'll just wait and see - I need the shipping delays to go out further so i can't be tempted! :D

rillrill
Mar 9, 2012, 06:31 PM
i had an aging 15" macbook pro (2007) until last year when i bought an iPad 2. i thought i could use it at work because of it's awesome battery life and portability. unfortunately the iPad is just too limited in it's software for the kind of work i do, so i bought an 11" macbook air and love it.

i think 2 years down the line when iCloud is working correctly and i can have access to all of my documents, the iPad will work for me, but not yet. plus it's still too heavy to hold like that for extended periods of time.

anirudh
Mar 9, 2012, 10:27 PM
I thought the keynote was hilarious when Phil Schiller, after Namco showed off some ****** looking flight sim game (seriously looked like something from the 90s!) says, "Gaming of this calibre has never before been available on a device this portable!"

A little while later, I booted my MBA into windows and launched Mass Effect 3 for an hour. Come on Phil....are you forgetting apples real compact computer?????

All I got from this was "booted my MBA into windows and launched Mass Effect 3 for an hour"!!!! So ME3 works well on the MBA? I have the base 13" 2011 model

stickybuns
Mar 9, 2012, 11:55 PM
I had been planning to buy an iPad and was saving my money for one, but my 2007 MacBook was in need of a replacement, so I bought a 2011 MacBook Air instead. My back was killing me having to carry around the old MacBook; despite being 13", the MBA is light enough that it really fits the ultra portable niche that I had been anticipating from the iPad.

Of course, I wouldn't mind having an iPad; after all, shiny new toys are shiny and new.

rosemary1
Mar 10, 2012, 12:10 AM
I have one on the way. My first iPad, and I have completely different uses in mind for it than what I use my MBA for.

wthomas86
Mar 10, 2012, 01:08 AM
I am really really tempted to buy one but can't convince myself that I will use it because my 13" air is so portable. The only justification I have is that I pay $20 a month for mobile hotspot on my iPhone, which would be close to the same price as LTE hotspot on a Verizon iPad.

gentlefury
Mar 10, 2012, 01:05 PM
All I got from this was "booted my MBA into windows and launched Mass Effect 3 for an hour"!!!! So ME3 works well on the MBA? I have the base 13" 2011 model

Yes, it runs incredibly well. Very very smooth, only stutters a little when you first load a level and its still bringing in assets....otherwise....pretty amazing!

And with Origin cloud saves it is really nice to be able to play on my lunch break then come home and continue on my desktop!

intervenient
Mar 10, 2012, 01:27 PM
As a student, I just still can't justify it. Holding out to trade in my 11 MBA for an updated 13 MBA.

Can't wait :)

MiamiC70
Mar 10, 2012, 01:58 PM
yep, pre-ordered a 64GB LTE model

Coltaine
Mar 10, 2012, 02:28 PM
I quit trying to justify it.

I got a 21.5" iMac for productive work at home.
I got a 13" MBA for productive work at work (indeed, at work, the computers there are mostly crap) and when I am traveling.

And I gave an iPad 2 to my girlfriend as a present for our engagement (along with a ring, of course). And I am using this for browsing the internet on the couch, watching videos, checking mails, reading the news, reading the newspaper, checking one or the other iBook, even reading scientific papers for work.
So hell yeah, I am gonna get the new iPad as soon as my bank account allows.

Point is: if you don't know, what you need it for, go get it, then you'll know. ;)

Roman2K~
Mar 10, 2012, 02:35 PM
Point is: if you don't know, what you need it for, go get it, then you'll know. ;)

Well said :D.

Success100
Mar 10, 2012, 02:58 PM
i don't think ill be buying one. I sold my iPad2 and bought a 13in 2011 Pro and honestly love it. This thing is plenty portable. I think I'm going to just hold off and get the 2012 model Pro. The only reason I want the new iPad is because of the increased resolution.

jeffg819
Mar 10, 2012, 05:29 PM
I use my iPad for reading stuff, a lot of stuff, and just can't wait to see the retina display in person. Could I live without it? Eh, maybe. But the phone is too small for serious reading and my MBA is too akward (compared to the iPad) in certain situations...actually in most situations.

Thankfully, I can afford to have all three without changing my life style.

kulimer
Mar 10, 2012, 05:58 PM

Like you, I really want it. But I can't find myself a reason when I already have a very portable MBA, it does what the iPad does AND MORE.

TraceyS/FL
Mar 10, 2012, 06:04 PM
I use my iPad for reading stuff, a lot of stuff, and just can't wait to see the retina display in person. Could I live without it? Eh, maybe. But the phone is too small for serious reading and my MBA is too akward (compared to the iPad) in certain situations...actually in most situations.

Thankfully, I can afford to have all three without changing my life style.

I'd probably jump on it in a heartbeat if I could get ebooks for school... alas, my tuition includes dead tree texts, and they are mega expensive to buy again (i did review next quarters samples).

The retina display will rock for reading.

I'm still leaning toward trying to skip this version, getting the air, then passing the air on to my daughter and buying the iPad 4.

HA. like that will work....

Unfortunately, i CAN'T afford to have them all right now! :D

IngerMan
Mar 10, 2012, 06:09 PM
Sure I want one. But I have a 6 month old MBA 11" for taking to work and I just got a 15" MBP a few weeks ago for I said the 11" was too small for hours on end at home. Not to mention my 4 year old iMac hardly gets used.

If I get one, I would trade in my MBA 11" to PowerMax for a 64GB 4G, about even up. I can't justify 3 great computers and an iPad for one person. I can only use 1 at a time.

I think I would miss using my 11" on workdays for Aperture, full blown Office, edrawing viewer, keyboard, clean screen, and an extra 60GB of storage, did I mention a clean screen:)

I think I would like the iPad in comparison to the MBA for Great battery life, Awesome Screen, Great Reader, better app game player

Darkbandit
Mar 10, 2012, 09:30 PM
I just picked up an open box MBA and returned my iPad that I had purchased yesterday. To me, I feel like that I am getting more value for my money with that MBA than I would get with another iPad.

eric/
Mar 10, 2012, 10:11 PM
I think I'm going to, and it's going to end up saving me some money in paper supplies.

Basically, I have a macbook air, and an iPhone. But i don't like taking notes on my MBA. I think getting an iPad, along with a functional stylus and appropriate app will help me with note taking, and stuff. I have iTunes match and use iCloud extensively.

Thoughts?

Surely
Mar 10, 2012, 10:12 PM
I sold my iPad 2 once I got my MBA. It just sat there. Doing nothing.

I have no intention of buying another iPad for home use. However, I may eventually buy one for work once I get around to adapting the forms that I use into a touchscreen compatible format.

appleguy123
Mar 10, 2012, 10:13 PM
I carry an iPad, MBA, and iPhone around with me every day. I didn't buy the iPad because its more portable. I bought it because it's more fun and intuitive to do some things on the iPAd. Like read my news, and simple web browsing.

anirudh
Mar 11, 2012, 08:50 AM
Yes, it runs incredibly well. Very very smooth, only stutters a little when you first load a level and its still bringing in assets....otherwise....pretty amazing!

And with Origin cloud saves it is really nice to be able to play on my lunch break then come home and continue on my desktop!

Thanks!! Just sold my XBOX360 and was kinda bummed coz I thought I couldnt play ME3 on my laptop. I am in love with my MBA.. Again :rolleyes:

Sorry for going OT guys. Gonna go now :o

jterp7
Mar 11, 2012, 09:53 AM
I sold my iPad 2 once I got my MBA. It just sat there. Doing nothing.

I have no intention of buying another iPad for home use. However, I may eventually buy one for work once I get around to adapting the forms that I use into a touchscreen compatible format.

With a TBD and magic trackpad, reading news and browsing is certainly fine on both but with the higher res it certainly changes things as compared to the previous gen ipad's. I've already voiced it enough, but without a 128gb model to mirror my base air in capacity I can wait a bit. That will probably change next friday or whenever they have them in store to fool around with.

Woodcrest64
Mar 11, 2012, 11:09 AM
I have the original iPad and I used it so much for quite sometime mainly because my iPhone 3G was terribly slow after upgrading to 4.0. So I would bring my iPad everywhere. However now with upgrading my iPhone 3G to a Galaxy S2 LTE I have no need to use the iPad as much on the road. At home I use my notebook or Hackintosh desktop.

My next purchase will probably be a 11" or 13" Macbook Air. My wife uses the iPad now when she is holding our 3 month old son. Its much easier to use the iPad when holding a child then a notebook. There are even times too when she just wants to use her iPhone 3GS instead of the iPad.

gentlefury
Mar 11, 2012, 02:32 PM
I have the original iPad and I used it so much for quite sometime mainly because my iPhone 3G was terribly slow after upgrading to 4.0. So I would bring my iPad everywhere. However now with upgrading my iPhone 3G to a Galaxy S2 LTE I have no need to use the iPad as much on the road. At home I use my notebook or Hackintosh desktop.

My next purchase will probably be a 11" or 13" Macbook Air. My wife uses the iPad now when she is holding our 3 month old son. Its much easier to use the iPad when holding a child then a notebook. There are even times too when she just wants to use her iPhone 3GS instead of the iPad.

I used the hell out of my iPad for over a year until I got my MacBook Air...now the iPad is much more casual use. The last iOS update seems to have solved the crashing every 5 mins problem tho...so thats good!!

onthecouchagain
Mar 14, 2012, 12:24 AM
Will the retina display of the new iPad make our Airs look "blurrier" and harder to look at the display?

I don't doubt an iPad will decrease Air usage, but when an Air is needed, I fear it'll be harder to look at the screen. Thoughts?

TraceyS/FL
Mar 14, 2012, 06:18 AM
Will the retina display of the new iPad make our Airs look "blurrier" and harder to look at the display?

I don't doubt an iPad will decrease Air usage, but when an Air is needed, I fear it'll be harder to look at the screen. Thoughts?

It shouldn't be much different going from the iP4 to the iP1-2 screen. For me, some days it is hard on my eyes, some days it isn't. I can read my iP4 screen without my reading glasses - and i'm starting to struggle with my iPad1 in that regard. However, over the last 6 weeks i've also had to resort to wearing my reading glasses full time on any screens to get thru the day (I went back to school).

I don't think it will be "bad" though... and will end up being a personal decision (i know with the iP4 retina a lot of people then couldn't stand their iPads).

KohPhiPhi
Mar 14, 2012, 09:19 AM
I'm in the same boat as many others here: I like to mess around with the iPad in the Apple Store and stuff, but I dont see what could I use it for really. I mean, I already couch-surf with my MBA, or check my emails on the go with my iPhone, so... I'm not sure what gap would the iPad fill.

thelookingglass
Mar 14, 2012, 10:04 AM
I'm in the same boat as many others here: I like to mess around with the iPad in the Apple Store and stuff, but I dont see what could I use it for really. I mean, I already couch-surf with my MBA, or check my emails on the go with my iPhone, so... I'm not sure what gap would the iPad fill.

If you want to save a little money, continue with this train of thought. Once you give in, there's no going back. ;) It truly is THAT awesome for certain things.

KohPhiPhi
Mar 14, 2012, 10:06 AM
If you want to save a little money, continue with this train of thought. Once you give in, there's no going back. ;) It truly is THAT awesome for certain things.

Be more specific: what actual USE can you make out of an iPad that you can't do from your MBA+iPhone? I mean, is that to read PDFs from the couch? is that to check your emails from bed?

iDutchman
Mar 14, 2012, 10:45 AM
Of course!

Having an MacBook Air 11' and an TB Display doesn't kill the need of having an iPad. Those are total different devices with a different purpose, need and above all way of interacting with it.

I don't get this thing with people wanting to use their iPad as their main computer. It's just not made for such a purpose.

So, yes. I will buy it. The 64GB with 4G (3G..).

I still want to play those fun games and have a simple device that I can easily carry with one hand

besides, although I love my iPad 64GB (original) it must be gettin' around 60 years old in 'tech' years. They do look the nicest though!

Roman2K~
Mar 14, 2012, 03:59 PM
besides, although I love my iPad 64GB (original) it must be gettin' around 60 years old in 'tech' years. They do look the nicest though!
Agreed. IMO, the first iPad is the best looking of all three.

Liquinn
Mar 14, 2012, 04:02 PM
Agreed. IMO, the first iPad is the best looking of all three.
Why do you say that? I agree :P

Roman2K~
Mar 14, 2012, 04:08 PM
Why do you say that? I agree :P

http://i.imgur.com/XOUuRs.jpg (http://imgur.com/XOUuR) http://i.imgur.com/Nmfzds.jpg (http://imgur.com/Nmfzd)

I like the added aliminum meat :D. Thick, flat edges remind me of the iPhone 4 design (which is a good thing).

Liquinn
Mar 14, 2012, 04:16 PM
Image (http://imgur.com/XOUuR) Image (http://imgur.com/Nmfzd)

I like the added aliminum meat :D. Thick, flat edges remind me of the iPhone 4 design (which is a good thing).
I'm like that with my iPod touch, I guess.

bbapps
Mar 14, 2012, 10:35 PM
Great thread!!! In a similar situation. Both my iMac and macbook are in need of replacement. Got to have my iMac, so a new iMac is in my future. The portable device is in question; new IPad or a 2012 MacBook Pro/Air (e.g. sounds like the lines might begin to merge; anything SSD based). IPad would probably be better on my budget, but worried I'm going to kick myself when the 2012 MacBooks come out. Wish Apple would hurry up with the 2012 macbooks.

OSXjamel
Mar 15, 2012, 02:07 AM
I'm stuck between keeping my iPad 2 32 gig and Mac mini 2010 intel core duo 2 base model or trading/selling them for a 2012 MacBook air.i would at most have to add $200.

Newtrockne
Mar 15, 2012, 02:01 PM
I am having a hard time deiciding. My plan was to get an MBA 13", but the new iPad just looks so tempting (and is less $). My uses will be just basic stuff... e-mail, surfing, social media, occassional movies, etc. My quandry is that I just got an essentially free 6th Gen iPod Nano through the Apple replacement program. I'm using it mostly for the Nike+ function for working out. If I got the iPad, there's no way to sync the iPod to it, is there?

OSXjamel
Mar 15, 2012, 04:46 PM
Tomorrow I will know. A base 2011 MacBook air for my 2010 Mac mini & iPad 2 32 gig is starting to sound better and better.i might just thug it with my raggedy compaq mini and iPhone 4 to hold me over until the new MacBook airs drop in June/July.

KylePowers
Mar 16, 2012, 12:42 PM
Ugh, launch day. Anyone fighting the urge to go out and buy one right now? I know I am :p

'Resistance is futile' is the only things going through my head right now haha

TraceyS/FL
Mar 16, 2012, 01:10 PM
Ugh, launch day. Anyone fighting the urge to go out and buy one right now? I know I am :p

'Resistance is futile' is the only things going through my head right now haha

I want. My bank account says no, but I want a treat for just finishing my first quarter going back to school in 25 years with two A's! :cool:

Maybe dinner out would be cheaper?

OSXjamel
Mar 16, 2012, 07:12 PM
I want. My bank account says no, but I want a treat for just finishing my first quarter going back to school in 25 years with two A's! :cool:

Maybe dinner out would be cheaper?

McDonald's is better

TraceyS/FL
Mar 16, 2012, 07:14 PM
McDonald's is better

I cooked. I'd rather cook than eat McD's - my kids know better than to suggest that! :D

MattZani
Mar 16, 2012, 07:26 PM
I now own a MBA and iPad (sig)

Don't really see the point of the MBA now, if the MBP gets the rumoured update I might sell up and make the jump, the air spends most of its time docked anyway.

OSXjamel
Mar 16, 2012, 09:12 PM
I now own a MBA and iPad (sig)

Don't really see the point of the MBA now, if the MBP gets the rumoured update I might sell up and make the jump, the air spends most of its time docked anyway.

That how I feel. I just need my compaq notebook to download porn and bootleg movies and CDs. Everything else can be done on my iPad .

roofz
Mar 17, 2012, 03:40 AM
Nope passed it up. Maybe the ipad 4 will be more remarkable..

Roman2K~
Mar 17, 2012, 05:22 AM
Nope passed it up. Maybe the ipad 4 will be more remarkable..

With the iPad 2, it was easy to see what could be improved: the display's obviously low resolution. They fixed this (and then some) in the 3rd gen.

After having used the new iPad all day yesterday, I think it's the ultimate tablet. I couldn't find a single flaw. Apple have come closer to perfection than ever with this product.

As of now, I don't see what significant improvement they could make in the next iPad (except the usual CPU-, GPU- and RAM-spec bumps). What did you have in mind?

KylePowers
Mar 17, 2012, 11:27 AM
As of now, I don't see what significant improvement they could make in the next iPad (except the usual CPU-, GPU- and RAM-spec bumps). What did you have in mind?
HD (or at least improved) FaceTime camera, make it lighter (doesn't have to be necessarily thinner, just lighter), have some first party solution for stylus input (for replacing notebooks/binders/papers/pens/etc for students), and yup, that's all I can think of.

I think the Specs (CPU/GPU/RAM) are fantastic already, and will only get better, so I'm not worried about that. Just a few other things until it's perfect.

I'd love to see it combined into an MBA, but I doubt we'd ever see that. And people probably would argue against that.

Gaelic2
Mar 17, 2012, 12:31 PM
I just purchased the new iPad, plus a case with a keyboard. I intend selling my MBA since i only use it for vacations & limited traveling. I think the iPad is a good replacement. I have an iMac desktop to do all the heavy lifting such as amateur photography and occasional movies made on my Canon cameras. The iPad is wonderful for face time, reading books, eMail etc at home or away.
I am retired so I haven't the need of you college students or workers and this option suits me very well.
PS: this is my favorite forum!:D:

roofz
Mar 17, 2012, 04:42 PM

I haven't put much thought as to how I would improve on it. I guess if it had better integration with my MBP I would be more likely to buy it? It's apple's job to think of innovative ways to improve it not ours :)

Lara F
Mar 17, 2012, 07:28 PM
I loved my MBA's display. Absolutely no complaints.

But I do see the difference now after the iPad. :( It gets better though after the first few minutes.

If Apple can come out with retina for the MBA it's going to be a key reason to upgrade from 2011...ugh! :p :rolleyes:

KPOM
Mar 17, 2012, 08:40 PM

Improved battery technology and more efficient LTE chipsets could help them make the next generation thinner and lighter. I think the screen will stay the same for the foreseeable future.

pesos
Mar 17, 2012, 08:41 PM
I got a "new" ipad due to the resolution. RDP will now be usable - 1024x768 was a joke. My hope is that if the upcoming 15" slimmer macbook whatever is slim/light enough but still has sufficient screen resolution, I can sell my 17" pro and 13" air and make do with a new 15" machine and the new ipad.

Jasmynsway
Mar 17, 2012, 08:50 PM
I upgraded from the iPad 2. I wanted the 4G speed. I'm very happy with it.

jterp7
Mar 17, 2012, 09:28 PM
I haven't put much thought as to how I would improve on it. I guess if it had better integration with my MBP I would be more likely to buy it? It's apple's job to think of innovative ways to improve it not ours :)

it'll probably be more like the ipad-->ipad2

qcore, 8mp camera with flash (i.e. 4S), Siri, and finally the switch to 32/64/128

Fast Shadow
Mar 18, 2012, 01:05 AM
I bought the new iPad. I also have an 11" MBA, a 17" MBP and a 2008 Mac Pro. The Pro stays, it is my workhorse. But I don't know if I should part with the MB Pro or Air. It seems silly to keep all of them as well as the iPad. But I really like all of them for different reasons. The Air is the most redundant but I love how portable it is yet its still a fully featured computer.

The quality of the display on the new iPad is nuts. Jaw dropping when viewing photos I've taken and re-exported at 2048 width.

andrewlgm
Mar 18, 2012, 01:22 AM

Short answer: No. Long Answer: had iPad 1 when it first came out and was soon unhappy with performance and usability, and ended up carrying macbook everywhere instead of lighter iPad, so had to sell it. If they added a micro SD slot to the thing, and added some more processing power, then it would be a definite buy for me. I just can't justify the $500+ for a 14GB consumption device that is limited in every way imaginable. Adding 6 of my science textbooks cuts 14GB to 8GB, and having over 50GB of music and 150GB of video and pictures, it gets complicated.

So I'm skipping them for now. Rather put the cash in the new air or pro which will hopefully carry the retina display. Can't wait.

polee
Mar 18, 2012, 12:55 PM

The macbook air just looks pixellated compared to the beautiful display of the ipad. Other than that, after a while, you will get used to the display of your macbook air again.

IngerMan
Mar 18, 2012, 01:14 PM
It can't replace my MBA for work but I love the battery life and the 4G. I guess I will be traveling with both.

KylePowers
Mar 18, 2012, 02:23 PM
I'm weak. I got one :(

Screen is friggin amazing though! Ended up going with a 64GB Wi-Fi.

Haven't touched my MBA since :p

gentlefury
Mar 18, 2012, 02:25 PM

If its your first iPad, that will wear off. As you realize more and more that its just a toy and not a real computer you will start going back to the mac more and more. I found myself using splash top to my Mac Pro 90% of the time I would use my iPad after a while....which meant I really wanted a Macbook. Since I got my MBA I barely touch my iPad.

KylePowers
Mar 18, 2012, 02:29 PM
If its your first iPad, that will wear off. As you realize more and more that its just a toy and not a real computer you will start going back to the mac more and more. I found myself using splash top to my Mac Pro 90% of the time I would use my iPad after a while....which meant I really wanted a Macbook. Since I got my MBA I barely touch my iPad.
Nah, had an iPad 2. Then sold it after 4 months and put the money toward an MBA. You're right, it does wear off. But I have set uses for it this time. Perusing the interwebz and playing silly games. Real work will be done on my MBA. Just an expensive toy mainly.

gentlefury
Mar 18, 2012, 02:45 PM
Nah, had an iPad 2. Then sold it after 4 months and put the money toward an MBA. You're right, it does wear off. But I have set uses for it this time. Perusing the interwebz and playing silly games. Real work will be done on my MBA. Just an expensive toy mainly.

yeah its great for that.

TraceyS/FL
Mar 18, 2012, 02:50 PM

It really depends on the person... I could happily never have bought another laptop and kept on using my iPad. It was used multiple hours a day - reading, surfing, everything. I can even type 80wpm on it!

Alas, my school isn't compatible with the iPad, so i'm thinking I need the Air. But i'm also thinking long and hard about that too. I would pass it on to my daughter when I finished school - and still end up with the iPad. So the question becomes, how much do I need the Air for? My written work I can do in Pages and move to Word to submit.

I don't know, I need to make another trip to the Apple store "soon" :D

gentlefury
Mar 18, 2012, 02:56 PM
It really depends on the person... I could happily never have bought another laptop and kept on using my iPad. It was used multiple hours a day - reading, surfing, everything. I can even type 80wpm on it!

Alas, my school isn't compatible with the iPad, so i'm thinking I need the Air. But i'm also thinking long and hard about that too. I would pass it on to my daughter when I finished school - and still end up with the iPad. So the question becomes, how much do I need the Air for? My written work I can do in Pages and move to Word to submit.

I don't know, I need to make another trip to the Apple store "soon" :D

I do too much for the iPad to be effective. Basically everything I wanted to do on it was either blocked (hulu, and lots of other videos) or a pain in the ass to set up work arounds. I also tend to have several webpages open, and many chats, while watching a movie...and when you switch from a video to anything else it stops playing and is SO annoying!!

jojoba
Mar 18, 2012, 02:56 PM

While I agree it's not a "real computer", I completely disagree that it's just a toy. I'm sure it can be a toy for lots of people, but I use it primarily for work purposes and there are tasks that I prefer to do on my iPad instead of my MBA. They complement each other very well for my purposes. It all depends on your usage.

TraceyS/FL
Mar 18, 2012, 03:05 PM
I do too much for the iPad to be effective. Basically everything I wanted to do on it was either blocked (hulu, and lots of other videos) or a pain in the ass to set up work arounds. I also tend to have several webpages open, and many chats, while watching a movie...and when you switch from a video to anything else it stops playing and is SO annoying!!

See, i don't chat on my iPad OR anywhere very often, and I just today got my iTunes library where I could watch a movie on here (my mini). Which won't happen often - i'd rather read a book :D (which I prefer to do on my iPad over anything else)

KPOM
Mar 18, 2012, 03:32 PM

I had planned for a while to get the 3rd iPad, having skipped the first two. The Retina Display and Verizon LTE are nice, and I think I'll be using the MacBook Air more at home, and will be traveling with the iPad rather than the Air (I usually travel with my Windows notebook that I use at the office).

That said, the MacBook Air is still a lot more powerful, and if I had to choose one, I'd stick with the Air.

gentlefury
Mar 18, 2012, 09:50 PM
See, i don't chat on my iPad OR anywhere very often, and I just today got my iTunes library where I could watch a movie on here (my mini). Which won't happen often - i'd rather read a book :D (which I prefer to do on my iPad over anything else)

I watch movies and tv shows all day while I work. I unfortunately don't have time to read books (I used to!)

avr146300
Mar 18, 2012, 11:43 PM
Lets say the next version of the MBA comes with a Retina display and they slap on a 4G LTE antenna on the top then what would you rather have an iPad 3rd gen or a 2012 MBA?? What are the odds of the new MBA having these dreamed up options?

harleymhs
Mar 20, 2012, 11:55 AM
Bought 3 of them! Ipad 2 ( att) Ipad 3 ( att & Verizon) ALL 3 are going back today! Dont hate guys.. I bought one for me, my kid and wife! ALL of us aggreed that they are CRAP! Glorified IPOD Touch! I have a MBA 11" and it blows them away! The New ipads take forever to charge and get HOT.. Retina scrren is not much better than Ipad2 .. Just my opinion! LOVE MY AIR! I rather wait to spenD my $$ on the NEW AIR Upgrade!

jojoba
Mar 20, 2012, 12:08 PM
Lets say the next version of the MBA comes with a Retina display and they slap on a 4G LTE antenna on the top then what would you rather have an iPad 3rd gen or a 2012 MBA?? What are the odds of the new MBA having these dreamed up options?

Given my usage (which I described upthread) I'd still keep an iPad. But if I could only afford one item (i.e. iPad OR MBA), then it would be an MBA.

Buildbright
Mar 20, 2012, 12:15 PM
Got the new ipad its amazing. It was well worth the money.

calvol
Mar 20, 2012, 01:11 PM
Nope, going to pass on the iPad3 due to its heating problems. When are Apple "engineers" going to get their product designs within TDP limits right?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/46786775

Roman2K~
Mar 20, 2012, 03:09 PM
Got the new ipad its amazing. It was well worth the money.
Second that! :cool:

Nope, going to pass on the iPad3 due to its heating problems. When are Apple "engineers" going to get their product designs within TDP limits right?

Mine doesn't overheat. It's never been so much as warm. Not even after ~8 hours of continuous use (several of which being intense 3D gaming). So this issue certainly isn't global.

KPOM
Mar 20, 2012, 03:18 PM

I think this is overblown. The new iPad runs warm, but not uncomfortably hot. My MacBook Air gets a lot hotter.

By now it should be clear that Apple makes designs that stretch engineering to its limits. It's a bit like Frank Lloyd Wright architecture. It is visually stunning, but not without its engineering drawbacks.

bcaslis
Mar 20, 2012, 08:21 PM

I have both the Air and the new iPad. The Air gets much warmer than the iPad. Anyone calling the iPad "hot" based on it's temperature needs to have their head examined.