Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Copied directly from a post from BlueScreenOfDeath on http://www.tech-critic.com

From the various sources I received numerous confirmations about the release date of the Pentium 4 3.06GHz. Apparently, Intel will unveil its new processor on the 14th of November 2002, just a couple of days before Comdex Fall 2002 starts.

Intel’s Pentium 4 3.06GHz is the first Intel’s processor for desktops that supports the HyperThreading technology. I should once again remind you that the newcomer will only work on the new mainboards that can provide enough power for it. These mainboards meet the latest guidelines from Intel and are mostly based on the i845GE, i845GV, i845PE and Granite Bay core-logic devices. In order to take advantage of the HyperThreading technology, your mainboard should be powered by either one of the mentioned chipsets or utilise the latest North Bridges from VIA or SiS.

What is pretty interesting, as I understood from MyHard Chinese web-site, Intel already has provided a number of samples of the novelty to the affliates in Asia. The guys over the mentioned Internet resource have even published a couple of screenshots, as a proof for their quite interesting fact. For instance, according to this picture, the Windows XP OS recognises the Pentium 4 3.06GHz with the HyperThreading support as two separate processors.

If Intel has sent the samples of the new Pentium 4 3.06GHz to their partners by now, they probably will be able to deliver the sufficient quantity of such CPUs when they are announced on the 14th of November.

peter2002

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2002
Dallas, TX
Wait.

If you want to go the PC route, never buy the latest processor since you will pay a heavy premium. You are better off getting a 2.5-2.8GHZ P4. You will get about the same performance and save at least $500.

If you really want performance, wait until Oct. 2003 when the 4GHZ P5 debuts.

The same logic could be applied when buying a Mac or any other system. Never buy the system with the fastest processor, unless you like to pay the Ferrari price. If you are rich like Gates or Jobs, it doesn't really matter.

Unless your job or hobby requires the fastest processor, don't buy that way. In fact most people could just get by for internet access and word processing by just buying an $199 X-Box or PS2.

Peter

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
I would have to agree with you... I thought that article was interesting, though.

As they say, keep your friends close but your enemies closer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.