PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Lion Battery life.

ethan028
Mar 9, 2012, 07:49 AM
I really thought this developer preview would atleast show us a few fixes to the battery life. But yet on my macbook pro 2011 i have only safari open and screen at half brightness and the battery says i get 3:32 when i should be getting 7 hours.

Opinions?

ECUpirate44
Mar 9, 2012, 07:52 AM
Opinions?

The goal of a beta is to test new features, not optimize battery life. Assuming you are a developer, that should be common knowledge.

ethan028
Mar 9, 2012, 08:02 AM
The goal of a beta is to test new features, not optimize battery life. Assuming you are a developer, that should be common knowledge.

I know this, but is there anyway in new updates that they will fix them.

chrono1081
Mar 9, 2012, 08:03 AM
I really thought this developer preview would atleast show us a few fixes to the battery life. But yet on my macbook pro 2011 i have only safari open and screen at half brightness and the battery says i get 3:32 when i should be getting 7 hours.

Opinions?

No offense but its obvious you're not a developer.

A developer preview is just that, for developers to get their products ready to work with a new operating system. Its not a public beta (or even a beta) by any means and little to nothing will be final or optimized yet.

EDIT: (ninjad). There is no way to know if updates will add functionality, but if the past is any indicator there will be several developer previews before a GM seed.

ECUpirate44
Mar 9, 2012, 08:04 AM
I know this, but is there anyway in new updates that they will fix them.

Sure, as Apple improves the OS with new betas over time, the battery life will improve.

ethan028
Mar 9, 2012, 08:04 AM
No offense but its obvious you're not a developer.

A developer preview is just that, for developers to get their products ready to work with a new operating system. Its not a public beta (or even a beta) by any means and little to nothing will be final or optimized yet.

Im not a developer? What a great accusation. I know its for that but just wondering if there will be any battery fixes in the near future.

chrono1081
Mar 9, 2012, 08:07 AM
Im not a developer? What a great accusation. I know its for that but just wondering if there will be any battery fixes in the near future.

Your right, I shouldn't have sounded so snotty.

The thing is many people ask about the developer preview as if its a public beta, not realizing that a developer preview is rarely an indication of the final product. Its under NDA so no one can even talk about it outside the developer site.

You'll see many threads like this all through Macrumors any time a new OS is released. Unfortunately no one has any way of knowing whether certain features will be added, removed, etc. The only indication is the developer notes on apples site after the newest build has been released.

ethan028
Mar 9, 2012, 08:08 AM
Your right, I shouldn't have sounded so snotty.

The thing is many people ask about the developer preview as if its a public beta, not realizing that a developer preview is rarely an indication of the final product. Its under NDA so no one can even talk about it outside the developer site.

You'll see many threads like this all through Macrumors any time a new OS is released. Unfortunately no one has any way of knowing whether certain features will be added, removed, etc. The only indication is the developer notes on apples site after the newest build has been released.

Okay thank you, I was just seeing if there were any like hidden changes in like the powermanagement kexts that fixes anything related to battery

chrono1081
Mar 9, 2012, 08:12 AM
Okay thank you, I was just seeing if there were any like hidden changes in like the powermanagement kexts that fixes anything related to battery

Oops one more thing, there is a "known issues" list that accompanies each new build, but generally these deal with issues regarding API's not things like battery life. (I've never seen hardware mentioned on the iOS known issues lists but maybe its different for Mac developers).

old-wiz
Mar 9, 2012, 10:22 AM

From what we see, the "developers" who post here don't pay attention to NDA.

Cougarcat
Mar 9, 2012, 11:20 AM

I've always found it ironic that Tonymac, a hackintosh site dedicated to violating the EULA, you are not allowed to discuss anything that would violate the NDA, but here, nobody cares.

Mr. Retrofire
Mar 9, 2012, 03:08 PM
Really?
http://www.google.com/search?num=30&hl=en&safe=off&q=mountain+lion+dp+discussion

----------

Why should they? Apple published already enough details about ML. For example:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/mountain-lion/features.html

chrono1081
Mar 9, 2012, 03:20 PM
Really?
http://www.google.com/search?num=30&hl=en&safe=off&q=mountain+lion+dp+discussion

I'm not saying people don't discuss it, but they can lose their account for doing so and since some MR members have links to their apps in their signatures it wouldn't be a good idea for them to talk.

Not to mention some people still honor agreements.

ethan028
Mar 9, 2012, 03:31 PM
Guys, Any ideas on how to increase battery?

Mr. Retrofire
Mar 9, 2012, 04:03 PM
Guys, Any ideas on how to increase battery?
Shutdown the computer or use a different OS!

limo79
Mar 10, 2012, 07:52 AM
You changed important question about battery life into pointless discussion.
Everyone knows that this is a developer preview, but I do not care about new features, icons and other stuff if the new OS release has poor performance and battery time. Why? Because all these slight visual changes that Apple presents is just added value. The most important is the CORE and mobility.

I do not buy a laptop or new OS to admire visual aspects and new notifications system in Mountain Lion. I can overview all these changes reading The Verge or AnandTech. We live in times where there is no absolutely any need to discuss about performance, boot time, temperatures etc. Who cares about it ;-)

And it is quite funny - Apple fans discuss mostly on the visual side of OS X totally forgot about everything else. This is really weak. Now I am not surprised that Apple make a new products addressed just to young people focused on buying a music, video and applications (generate cash $$$). You deserve to have iOS interface in new OS X releases. Specially for developers and kids :D There will be a great topic for the future discussions on MacRumors. You will spend a whole life to complaint all small changes ;-)

old-wiz
Mar 10, 2012, 10:10 AM
It is a developer preview, not even a beta. Performance and battery life are not big goals at this time. Often the previews have debugging code present and running, which slows things down. Battery life isn't a prime thing in a preview. The important thing is to get things running under the new OS.

limo79
Mar 10, 2012, 02:57 PM
"Developers, developers, developers!" ;-)

Everyone knows that this is not a final release, but Mountain Lion DP is quite stable release and definitely this is not a first build generated in Cuppertino. Final release of Mountain Lion is planned on July this year. Very fast schedule for a buggy and even not beta product ;)

Now compare it with Windows 8 Consumer Preview which was presented few weeks ago. Final release of Windows 8 is planned at the end of 2012 (4th quarter). This will be long time after Mountain Lion final release.

To conclude OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion DP seems to be in more advanced stadium than Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Do not say that we unofficialy can not observe a progress in development looking at other parameters than visual things. I think that this is not a big deal to say few words about battery life especially if Apple do not offer an official consumer preview like Microsoft. I believe that results can be quite optimistic.

Cougarcat
Mar 10, 2012, 03:13 PM
"Developers, developers, developers!" ;-)

Everyone knows that this is not a final release, but Mountain Lion DP is quite stable release and definitely this is not a first build generated in Cuppertino.

No, but it's the first build given to developers, of which there will be several, so it's silly to complain about its performance or battery life.

Final release of Mountain Lion is planned on July this year. Very fast schedule for a buggy and even not beta product ;)

No, it's coming "late summer," i.e September. Almost 6 months away.

ethan028
Mar 11, 2012, 02:10 PM
I was just wondering if they did anything with battery life...Because developer previews Apple also presents fix things to test to see if they are fixed by developers... Why do you think they were testing 5.1 for iPhone...to fix the battery on it. Because there where so many reports on it and theres so many reports on lion battery life so just seeing if it was fixed.

Skeletron
May 10, 2012, 02:22 AM
I can confirm that the latest Mountain Lion release has battery life improvements. My early 2011 macbook pro now lasts for 7-9 hours in low-very low usage mode (screen dimmed, wifi on, browsing). On lion it lasted for 4-5 hours maximum. This is the best improvement of the new OS as to me :)

kristoffer4
May 10, 2012, 06:26 AM
I can confirm that the latest Mountain Lion release has battery life improvements. My early 2011 macbook pro now lasts for 7-9 hours in low-very low usage mode (screen dimmed, wifi on, browsing). On lion it lasted for 4-5 hours maximum. This is the best improvement of the new OS as to me :)

Great news! :)

kissmo
May 10, 2012, 09:43 AM
Great news! :)

I can confirm that the battery life is improved with 2-3 hours for me too.

Cougarcat
May 10, 2012, 02:13 PM

I can confirm that the battery life is improved with 2-3 hours for me too.

Have you verified this experimentally? i.e actually timed how long it takes for your battery to die, under normal usage, rather than relying on the battery indicator.

If not, I would really appreciate it if you (or someone else) would. The battery indicator isn't the most reliable thing.

But if it is true, I will upgrade my MBP in a second, beta be damned. I can't stand Lion's battery life.

neilford
May 10, 2012, 04:26 PM
Don't count on it! We're at Lion 10.7.4 and still no battery fix. They haven't even acknowledged the issue. I doubt Apple will improve ML, if it is showing the same symptoms in preview.

Sure, as Apple improves the OS with new betas over time, the battery life will improve.

kristoffer4
Jun 14, 2012, 06:51 PM
Is this still the case with newest build? :)

dacreativeguy
Jun 14, 2012, 11:56 PM

If you aren't a developer, then you shouldn't even have this preview software.

If you are a developer, then you are violating Apple's dev program license by discussing the preview software in a public forum.

So just watch your 'tude, dude. ;)

kissmo
Jul 3, 2012, 06:15 AM
Have you verified this experimentally? i.e actually timed how long it takes for your battery to die, under normal usage, rather than relying on the battery indicator.

If not, I would really appreciate it if you (or someone else) would. The battery indicator isn't the most reliable thing.

But if it is true, I will upgrade my MBP in a second, beta be damned. I can't stand Lion's battery life.

I have used it several times now on battery.

I can say it improved at least 25% the battery life.
I don't know if it replicates for everybody. For me at least.
I am running MBP 2011 with 1 SSD and 1 HDD (Optical drive removed) and 8 GB of RAM.

I get at least 1 hour extra of battery life compared to Lion when browsing the internet with dimmed light or watching mkv movies.

This is my experience. I have really tried it in many circumstances. For me - it does get longer life.

trustme
Jul 5, 2012, 01:41 PM
Let me get this straight. A developer has to pay $100 a year in order to be able to test the operating system and report bugs and functionality, which is supposed to be Apple's job? Essentially, you're paying Apple and using your time for something they should be paying YOU for?

brutusvimes
Jul 5, 2012, 01:46 PM
Let me get this straight. A developer has to pay $100 a year in order to be able to test the operating system and report bugs and functionality, which is supposed to be Apple's job? Essentially, you're paying Apple and using your time for something they should be paying YOU for?

A developer receives access to beta builds to test out new functionality and gain access to new APIs. This way, they can have their software ready when a new OS hits the market.