Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kk405

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
NYC
No need to be harsh to a newbie, but I would like to know what are the steps that I need to take to be able to develop a rudimentary app for the iPad. I have registered as a developer, downloaded and installed Xcode and know a bit about programming, but the skills are very rusty and belong to a very long time ago. I am building a magazine, so I could technically farm it out to Texterity of MagAppZine, but I want to see if I can do this by learning to code and or using some GUI-based tools to develop the app. I do have Adobe CS 5.5, but the only thing I have been able to do is port the designed magazine to the iPad, without any actual functions, i.e.; everything is static.

Very much appreciate anyone's help...

FPCat

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
My advice is to watch the Standford iOS class on iTunes U. Its free and very well done

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
There are a few ways to develops apps without knowing how to program. You can hire someone with iOS experience. There are web site and tools that will build certain limited types of iOS apps from templates and menu selections.

There are at least 3 choices if you want to do your own development. You can learn to do HTML5 web apps. You can use a game development SDK, such Unity3D. Or you can learn to develop native Objective C Cocoa Touch apps.

Learning how to develop apps on your own is a multistep process. The first step, learning how to program and solve problems in code is not easy. I would guess anywhere between 2 months and 2 years, depending on your native talent and how much you've done already. After that, learn some OOP design and Objective C from books or online tutorials. After that, start reading books, tutorials, and documentation on iOS development.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.