PDA

View Full Version : You think Apple laptops should come with interchangeable parts?

SRLMJ23
Mar 10, 2012, 02:44 PM
I had asked in another question in this forum if i could upgrade my processor but got the answer that its soldered down. I think it would really be a selling point that yes you can upgrade a processor if you want to, I do it on my Windows machines all the time and you can really get some substantial upgraded power. Like in my instance, going from a Core 2 Duo at 1.4ghz to a Core 2 Quad at 2.6ghz, but oh well...my Air flies for the specs it has, the SSD really helps out a lot. Just throwing out an idea, any thoughts??

Intell
Mar 10, 2012, 02:46 PM
Most HP/Dell/Acer/[insert other here] laptops have soldered CPUs as well.

eric/
Mar 10, 2012, 02:48 PM
The problem is that in order to get the form factor the components have to be integrated in a manner that isn't interchangeable.

KylePowers
Mar 10, 2012, 03:03 PM
Most HP/Dell/Acer/[insert other here] laptops have soldered CPUs as well.
This. Please enlighten us OP to any laptops that have socketed CPUs (aside from maybe huge gaming ones and gigantic desktop replacements)

I mean, yeah, it wouldn't be a bad idea from a consumer standpoint... but from a business standpoint, horrible idea. 2 main reasons that come to the top of my head: 1) Apple loses out on the premium that they charge for when people upgrade to better processors during a BTO, and 2) The large demographic that Apple is geared toward has very little to no experience with building computers, let alone completely dismantling a laptop. There'd be a lot of mistakes, errors, etc and the blame would be put on Apple naturally, causing them to replace laptops for free or below cost, or at the very least, worsening their image. It just wouldn't be a smart move economically.

Intell
Mar 10, 2012, 03:06 PM
I've worked on a Dell Inspirion 1501 and a Latitude D800. Both of which have a socketed CPU. The 1501 is a budget computer from 2007 and the D800 is a higher end from 2005.

SRLMJ23
Mar 10, 2012, 03:12 PM
KylePowers, I'm not saying that there wouldn't be problems, especially noobs trying to do a very serious upgrade(s), however it would be nice to be able to change your CPU if you wanted to. My Current Dell Inspiron is a socketed CPU and my AlienWare CPU is socketed as well, also my Dell Desktop is socketed (but I think most desktops are socketed anyway.) I just think it would be a nice option for people who know HOW to do it, that's all.

simsaladimbamba
Mar 10, 2012, 03:14 PM
My Current Dell Inspiron is a socketed CPU and my AlienWare CPU is socketed as wellHow thick are those laptops with socketed CPUs?

Intell
Mar 10, 2012, 03:17 PM
I'm seeing somethings in here that don't match... Let me try something.

KylePowers, I'm not saying that there wouldn't be problems, especially noobs trying to do a very serious upgrade(s), however it would be nice to be able to change your CPU if you wanted to. My Current Dell Inspiron is a socketed CPU and my AlienWare CPU is socketed as well, also my Dell Desktop is socketed (but I think most desktops are socketed anyway.) I just think it would be a nice option for people who know HOW to do it, that's all.

What in the bolded doesn't fit? I'll give you hint, it doesn't start with A or D.

AlexH
Mar 10, 2012, 03:48 PM
I've never expected the processor to be interchangeable on any laptop that I've owned. Desktops, sure. For other parts like RAM, disk drives, battery, etc, it depends on the laptop. If it's a MacBook Pro, made to be more of a powerhouse, I would expect more interchangeable parts. I don't expect the Air to be like that. It's a space issue, design issue, and I get that.

interrobang
Mar 10, 2012, 03:49 PM
2) The large demographic that Apple is geared toward has very little to no experience with building computers, let alone completely dismantling a laptop. There'd be a lot of mistakes, errors, etc and the blame would be put on Apple naturally, causing them to replace laptops for free or below cost, or at the very least, worsening their image. It just wouldn't be a smart move economically.That's pretty unlikely. Apple still sells the Mac Pro, which is highly upgradable and serviceable, and these issues are uncommon, for three main reasons:
1. n00bs generally choose the consumer-grade iMac instead of the Mac Pro, and replace them instead of upgrading
2. n00bs generally don't try to mess with the hardware, even for something as simple as upgrading memory.
3. Warranties never cover unauthorized repairs or customer-installed parts. Apple has no problem telling people, "You broke it, you have to pay us to fix it." If they don't cover an iPhone dropped in the toilet, why would they cover botched upgrades?

SRLMJ23
Mar 10, 2012, 04:40 PM
I just started this thread as a discussion and it seems some people are acting childish by being sarcastic.

simsaladimbamba
Mar 10, 2012, 04:57 PM
I just started this thread as a discussion and it seems some people are acting childish by being sarcastic.

And some people are asking you, how it should be possible.
And I asked you, how thick those two laptops of yours were, and you didn't even bother to answer.
I browsed the Alienware website, and those are thick monsters, double as thick as the MBPs, even the small 11" "power brick" they have is thick like three MBAs, probably due to replaceable CPUs (they don't state that, they don't even state the CPU model and speed until checkout, if one ever comes to that, with all the confusing configurations).

And since Apple is selling millions of those laptops, it seems, there is no need for such upgrades. Even if some want such upgrades, they are in the minority.

PS: And if you just compare Apple's Online Store with the Online Stores of Dell and Alienware, you see, that Apple wants simplicity. Having the CPU user upgradeable is not simplicity.

wrinkster22
Mar 10, 2012, 04:57 PM

It is very difficult to engineer latches and other removal hardware into something as small as a macbook air.

SRLMJ23
Mar 10, 2012, 05:26 PM
Yeah I never thought about the lockdown latches and what not. Any who, maybe someday when technology allows we will be able to get this option.

----------

I wasn't ignoring you, I was meaning to get back to you but then I posted those other posts, yes the AlienWare is a monster but it's more for cooling not interchangeable CPU's, you should hear the thing at full load, sounds like a jet. As far as the desktop, it's just a normal style XPS style box also designed for cooling so it to is loud. I didn't mean to offend you if I did, I am truly sorry.

----------

And some people are asking you, how it should be possible.
And I asked you, how thick those two laptops of yours were, and you didn't even bother to answer.
I browsed the Alienware website, and those are thick monsters, double as thick as the MBPs, even the small 11" "power brick" they have is thick like three MBAs, probably due to replaceable CPUs (they don't state that, they don't even state the CPU model and speed until checkout, if one ever comes to that, with all the confusing configurations).

And since Apple is selling millions of those laptops, it seems, there is no need for such upgrades. Even if some want such upgrades, they are in the minority.

PS: And if you just compare Apple's Online Store with the Online Stores of Dell and Alienware, you see, that Apple wants simplicity. Having the CPU user upgradeable is not simplicity.

As I addressed in another post (don't know if you read it or not) I wasn't ignoring you I just got sidetracked. I understand what Apple wants and hell it's working! I can tell you I love my MBA over my AlienWare and Dell XPS Desktop, in fact I just fired up my AlienWare for the first time in a long while. I wish they could squeeze all that power into a MBA somehow (haha, I know impossible) but wouldn't it be nice. What type of computers do you have? I know Apple, but what models and specs?