Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
My buddy is wanting to start up a website and I just had a couple quick questions on website stuff. He wants to do a blog type website that he can hopefully make some money with ... like adsense and that kinda thing.

Which host to you use for the website? I am thinking Bluehost or Hostgator.

Would it be easier to get one through wordpress' website or get a template online and then link in wordpress to the site for his articles? How easy does wordpress tie into this site? Is it just answering a few questions on the wordpress site to get it linked in and you are good to go?

Thanks for any answers/info you can provide me, I appreciate it! I am trying to give my buddy a more informed answer on what all he would need to start and all that.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Just use Wordpress.com . You aren't going to make any money off of your site anyways, so there's no point in spending any more than you have to on hosting.

just curious, why do you say he wont make any money?

I do like wordpress though, so I am trying to talk him into it.

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
hmmmm what happened with that?

Moved off with no problem. They're just loaded up with crap apps + plugins, and the basic functionality is lacking. I don't want a bunch of horrible bloatware on my laptop, and certainly don't want it on my hosting provider.

If you don't ever need to do anything that's not accessible via their control panel (anything via SSH, or anything with editing your zone files, for example), I guess they're okay. Although, IMO, they have that typical geek feature creep problem -- a bunch of crap that people who know what they're doing will never, ever use; but far too many choices / options for people who DON'T know what they're doing.

Had a few issues with downtime, but nothing out of the ordinary for consumer-grade hosting. Would never consider them for a commercial website.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Because there's no evidence that your friend has a compelling idea for a website or that he actually knows how much work he'll need to put into it in order to make a site profitable.

If it were easy, everyone would do it.

Well said, really really well said. From experience I've seen very few blog sites without an awesome compelling edge make any money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.