Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
What would you think is a better buy, a new and updated eMac 1.42 Ghz with Radeon 9600 and combo drive or an used iMac G5 1.6 Ghz with FX 5200? They both cost the same and appear to be equally fast in real world apps.

I think the seller is honest but there is always some uncertainty about buying used computers. I need this for my second computer and I already have an iMac.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Although, since you've already got a powerful desktop, maybe get a small iBook or something similar instead. You'll love the portability. I've got an iMac and an iBook and it's great.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
New Emac has a better video chip then the Imac, 1.6 G5 has nothing over the Emacs 1.42 G4 plus its new with Tiger and all the latest goodies. Performance wise their wont be much if any difference in the two and with the poor track record of those iMacs and many problems the answer is clear. Also no dead pixels to worry about. My 2 cents.

icarusflies

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2005
No hesitation - I'd go with the imac G5
- if only for the fact it's a G5
Look forward to a time when the G3 is unsupported then the G4.
The G5 has plenty more time in it yet.

Plus its a great screen.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Get iMac, cuz it's G5, and has a much nicer screen and also quiter :)

There is no such a question to me :D iMac!!!

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
iMac G5 . . . cause, well, it has a G5 and looks a LOT cooler than the eMac. i dont know why anyone would want an eMac aside from all-in-one for a low price. for the price of an eMac you could get a mini and nice flat pannel monitor, which i thing would be better! but for your choises go with the G5!!!

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
Thanks everybody. As I supspected here isn't a widespread agreement on this, although more favor the iMac.

One question that I would like to ask is how good is the iMac for Photoshop? I haven´t done any photo editing in my iMac so I don´t know the answer to this. I haven´t found any review or comparison between the iMac´s 17" screen and other LCDs.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
I went for the iMac

After a consultation with my wife, we chose the iMac. The main reason is that it takes less space, has a good resolution and a silent operation.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
Got it today!

It´s sweeeeet! :D

I ran the hardware test and everything was ok. I opened up the back and didn´t see anything wrong there. So everything looks just fine.

The only thing is that it is not as dead quiet as my other iMac but it doesn´t get loud unless when it is working hard.

So thanks guys helping me making *most probably* the right choice. Time will tell. :p

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
congrats on the new machine, sounds like a pretty good one. I like the idea of going with the G5...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.