Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
On my iBook G4, flash video plays oddly well. I have the last Adobe Flash for PPC (10.1... I think) and Perian. My older G3 played video horribly, both flash and pretty much any other format. I guess it's because my G3 had an 800 MHz processor, and my G4 has a 1.33 GHz processor. Any comments/ thoughts? I just want to see what other Mac guys are doing...

PS- I tried Mac-Tubes on my old G3 (now my brother's) but it wasn't much better. He hates trying to watch YouTube, because it's all choppy... and mine is so clean. It has both Adobe and Perian.

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
In mactubes switch the player to quicktime,that would help.
I don't care too much about youtube, but anytime I want to see a video there I just use mactubes.
You have a "tweaked" version of flash plugin on the FAQ on my sig, some people claimed to have better results with it...

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
mactubes

and youview seem to really need a G4 and altivec for decent playback. With a G3 my best streaming video results were with Seamonkey or bon echo firefox for embedded flash (240p) playback, or use tenfourfox, flashvideoreplacer or download helper extensions to copy the url (up to 360p) then paste it into VLC or quicktime. I also experimented with using mplayer from the commandline, that gave pretty decent results as there was no GUI to get in the way of playing the video file.

Coreplayer also requires a G4.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Actually, I stream a very watchable 720p from Hulu and Amazon just about every evening.[/QUOTE

I'm impressed. Is that a quad core? I can't tell from your sig. I only ever owned a single processor G5 and it struggled with anything above 480p.

One day I'd like to meet a flash developer from Adobe and ask them how they could consistenly release what has to be the worst piece of software ever written. So many other programs can do what flash does, and do it so much better. What would their explanation be?

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Actually, I stream a very watchable 720p from Hulu and Amazon just about every evening.[/QUOTE

I'm impressed. Is that a quad core? I can't tell from your sig. I only ever owned a single processor G5 and it struggled with anything above 480p.

One day I'd like to meet a flash developer from Adobe and ask them how they could consistenly release what has to be the worst piece of software ever written. So many other programs can do what flash does, and do it so much better. What would their explanation be?

no it's a DP 2.0..

It surprised me also..it doesn't work well if your doing something in the back ground and I mean ANYTHING..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.