PDA

View Full Version : IPad2 or new IPad for ios developer?

anonymouse99
Mar 11, 2012, 03:49 PM
I've bought a brand new 16GB "wifi only" IPad2 for $360 and have a few more days before my return period runs out. What IPad do you folks use for writing IOS apps?

I'm thinking that a higher res display while nice to have, may not be that significant for writing non-gaming apps.

Is it important to get one with GPS hardware, so should I be buying one with 4G? Cost, while important, is not a major issue at this point.

Thoughts?

-TIA

NutsNGum
Mar 11, 2012, 03:51 PM
If you're a developer you would do well to have both.

Sonisk
Mar 11, 2012, 03:53 PM
I'm a developer myself, and sold my iPad 2 to get the new one. As a developer, I wanna be on the edge with what we can do, and not do. The earlier we dig into this, the faster we can release great apps designed for the new iPad. And since they're gonna keep this resolution they just introduced for a while, one might aswell start designing for the new resolution.

That's my thoughts anyways. :)

Jason S.
Mar 11, 2012, 03:54 PM
If you're a developer you would do well to have both.

This.

But if you can only get one right now, get the new one.

Even if you were not making games, you would want to test your apps on the new display, because any app you make from this point forward should contain high resolution graphics. And any new iPad from this point forward will also have a high-res display.

whtrbt7
Mar 11, 2012, 03:56 PM
Devs should have all 3 versions. Especially if you're guaranteeing backwards compatibility. It's just a part of the cost of business.

anonymouse99
Mar 11, 2012, 04:02 PM
This.

But if you can only get one right now, get the new one.

Even if you were not making games, you would want to test your apps on the new display, because any app you make from this point forward should contain high resolution graphics. And any new iPad from this point forward will also have a high-res display.Good point! Yeah, I did not envision having to downscale my images on my unit if it were an older low-res kind.

ANy thoughts on the GPS hardware? And would 16GB suffice? Is that what you folks mostly own?

NutsNGum
Mar 11, 2012, 04:05 PM
Good point! Yeah, I did not envision having to downscale my images on my unit if it were an older low-res kind.

ANy thoughts on the GPS hardware? And would 16GB suffice? Is that what you folks mostly own?

I only ever buy 16GB versions, partly because I'm cheap, but also partly because I never seem to use anymore than 8-9GB on them.

I do however buy the 3G variants because I like to have the option to get online when I'm out, and I've got a mobile broadband sim that I'm paying for so might as well get some use out of.

If you don't see yourself needing the 3G or "4G" connectivity, and won't be using geolocation in any apps you make, there's little point forking out the extra hundred quid.

anonymouse99
Mar 12, 2012, 11:08 AM
I only ever buy 16GB versions, partly because I'm cheap, but also partly because I never seem to use anymore than 8-9GB on them.

I do however buy the 3G variants because I like to have the option to get online when I'm out, and I've got a mobile broadband sim that I'm paying for so might as well get some use out of.

If you don't see yourself needing the 3G or "4G" connectivity, and won't be using geolocation in any apps you make, there's little point forking out the extra hundred quid.Thanks NutsNGum - I know this question has been asked before but does one need to subscribe to the 4G/3G service to get proper lat/longs from the device? i.e. can you get the GPS chip to triangulate with satellites to determine this on a 4G/3G device using the CLLocation etc. API calls?

NutsNGum
Mar 12, 2012, 01:47 PM
Thanks NutsNGum - I know this question has been asked before but does one need to subscribe to the 4G/3G service to get proper lat/longs from the device? i.e. can you get the GPS chip to triangulate with satellites to determine this on a 4G/3G device using the CLLocation etc. API calls?

I'm pretty sure the GPS functionality will work fine without a data connection, though obviously no maps will be displayed as it won't be able to download them. As for the specific APIs, I'm afraid I have no idea. My iOS skills only extend about as far as cocos2d, that's it really.

seepel
Mar 13, 2012, 12:01 AM
My philosophy on devices is that I want to have the absolute minimum device I plan to support and the maximum. For me that means iPod 2G, iPhone 4 (4S at some point, finances permitting) iPad 1 and iPad 3. And if I happen to have a nice month on the App Store I might pick up something in the middle like my iPod 3G. I'm also tempted to pick up an iPod 4G as the display is retina, bit still different from the iPhone 4.

Think of it as a more expensive version of a web developer testing on multiple browsers. And of course as is such the case funds certainly limit which is why you want to consider your target market. The advantage of getting the older devices is that they can be fairly cheap. Especially now when everyone wants to sell their current iPad to get the new one.

DaveP
Mar 13, 2012, 10:48 AM
My philosophy on devices is that I want to have the absolute minimum device I plan to support and the maximum.

This is my strategy and I think a good compromise for an independent developer who can't realistically have every possible version. But if forced to make a choice, go with the latest.

Though don't discount having older devices, as they are often much slower and can make a big difference in the user experience depending on your app.

anonymouse99
Mar 13, 2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks for your responses folks, I got an IPad2 but have not opened it yet. My concern with keeping it is that Apple from here on moving forward may not be going back to the lower resolution screen. I presume that there won't be a successor to IPad2 with a non-retina low res display. From what I can tell, folks tend to get (and upgrade to) new Apple devices quite frequently!

So basically in about a year or so, testing on a low res screen may be a moot point. This is why I am tempted to get the new IPad(3) so that I can at least have a decent display for deployment/testing that may stay current for many years to come.

Thoughts, thanks!

KarlJay
Mar 13, 2012, 02:22 PM
One option is to get the new iPad... then use the simulator as long as you can and maybe even find someone with an iPad 1 or 2 and have them test your app for you just to make sure it works as expected.

The reason for this is that iPad 2' will only continue to drop in price. In fact you might see a dramatic drop in prices once the new iPad become the new standard, as few will want the older models.

Example: I have 2 iPods, old classic video 30G, new iPT. The old classic cost me about $250 and now sells in good condition for about $80!

As the iOS updates and new functionality is added to the new iPad, the older ones will continue to drop in price.

You might be able to grap an iPad 2 for 1/3 off current prices by the end of summer. There could be a flood of iPad 2's hitting the market once people realize that "it's only downhill from here" and they want the extra $$ to get the new iPad...

Note that the value of my classic iPod is very limited, it still works great, so it's only going down so far. You may only gain $100, but $100 is $100...

anonymouse99
Mar 13, 2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks KarlJay, this makes a lot of sense. The price of new IPad won't change as long as it is being sold as current, but the outdated IPads1/2 will most certainly drop.

reputationZed
Mar 13, 2012, 02:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Unless your planning on developing apps only for the 3rd gen iPad Id recomend keeping the iPad 2. Work to your lowest common denominator, if it works well on the iPad2 the iPad 3rd gen will handle it, though you might need to tweek graphics a bit. If you develop on the 3rd gen you might find your app is more than the iPad2 can handle. I remember reading that when Windows 95 was in development the project lead made all of the devs get rid of their 17"+ monitors and made them work on 15" monitors because that is what most of the customer base was using.

Idealy though you would have both, one to use as your dev tool and one as your personal iPad (at least this is how I'm justifying picking up a 3rd gen eventhough I perfectly happy with my iPad2.

anonymouse99
Mar 13, 2012, 03:41 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Unless your planning on developing apps only for the 3rd gen iPad Id recomend keeping the iPad 2. Work to your lowest common denominator, if it works well on the iPad2 the iPad 3rd gen will handle it, though you might need to tweek graphics a bit. If you develop on the 3rd gen you might find your app is more than the iPad2 can handle. I remember reading that when Windows 95 was in development the project lead made all of the devs get rid of their 17"+ monitors and made them work on 15" monitors because that is what most of the customer base was using.

Idealy though you would have both, one to use as your dev tool and one as your personal iPad (at least this is how I'm justifying picking up a 3rd gen eventhough I perfectly happy with my iPad2.Agreed, IPad1/2 are not going to disappear overnight, like used cars. I do plan on investing in the entire line of these, but would like to start off with the current one - it may be my dev tool for now. Just curious, what capacity are you planning on buying?

thewitt
Mar 14, 2012, 08:34 AM
We keep older versions of all the hardware with different versions of iOS installed...

Currently that's more than a dozen iPad, iPhone and iPod touch models just for testing backward compatibility.

It's just a cost of doing serious development on the platform if you wish to remain backward compatible.

If you build everything to the latest iOS and don't support any older versions, you can get away with many fewer models of course...

vultureboy
Mar 15, 2012, 06:14 PM
My philosophy on devices is that I want to have the absolute minimum device I plan to support and the maximum.

This sums up my strategy. I currently test on an iPhone 3G, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 4th Gen and soon the new iPad.

However, through friends, relatives and a collection of online beta testers I have access to pretty much all devices I could possibly want to test on. So never underestimate the power of acquaintances! ;)

loon3y
Mar 15, 2012, 07:29 PM

If you don't see yourself needing the 3G or "4G" connectivity, and won't be using geolocation in any apps you make, there's little point forking out the extra hundred quid.

really? i think even 64 GB isn't enough, if your planning to have a ton of apps, movies, and music, hell no its not enough

NutsNGum
Mar 16, 2012, 02:51 AM
really? i think even 64 GB isn't enough, if your planning to have a ton of apps, movies, and music, hell no its not enough

I use it as a web browser and PDF reader, sometimes stick a few games on it. I don't load it with tons of crap that I don't ever use. If I find 16GB isn't enough, I'll buy a 32. No big deal.

amorya
Mar 16, 2012, 06:36 AM

This.

Pick up an iPad 1 (there'll be lots on ebay), and then get the 3.

If you have money to burn, fill in the gaps, but the minimum and maximum are essential.

(Of course, if you're not planning to support the 1, that's different…)

anonymouse99
Mar 18, 2012, 10:11 AM
Thanks a bunch, for your responses. After going back and forth, I ended up getting an IPad2 from the local apple store.

I do intend to pickup the IPad1, 3's at some point down the road once I am more comfortable with IOS development. It has been a lot of fun learning it especially being a Java (MVC) developer!

loon3y
Mar 19, 2012, 07:38 PM
This.

Pick up an iPad 1 (there'll be lots on ebay), and then get the 3.

If you have money to burn, fill in the gaps, but the minimum and maximum are essential.

(Of course, if you're not planning to support the 1, that's different…)

u think people would still be using the 1 (considering how outdated it is now), when the 4th or 5th generation iPad comes out???

edit: because i have the 1 and the 2, I'm currently selling the 2 since we have an extra 2, and getting the 3.

just seeing if the 1 is worth keeping or just selling, and i am a beginning developer started in august of last year.

seepel
Mar 19, 2012, 10:00 PM
u think people would still be using the 1 (considering how outdated it is now), when the 4th or 5th generation iPad comes out???

edit: because i have the 1 and the 2, I'm currently selling the 2 since we have an extra 2, and getting the 3.

just seeing if the 1 is worth keeping or just selling, and i am a beginning developer started in august of last year.

Time will tell but I see the iPad being more like the iPod touch. I think there are still plenty of people using the 2nd generation. Whether or not these people are likely to buy apps... Well that's another question. I think with iPhones there are more people upgrading because it is subsidized with their phone plan. They go to renew and say, eh why not? That doesnt happen with the iPad though.

anonymouse99
Mar 19, 2012, 11:14 PM
I was thinking that there are millions of single core CPU based iPad1's still out there around the world. It would make sense to test apps on single and dual core units.

So iPad1 and iPad2's makes sense, then of course, having a retina display brings iPad3 into the picture now. So, at least at this point in time, having all 3 platforms for dev and dev testing seems like a good group of iPads to own.

amorya
Mar 23, 2012, 05:25 AM

I don't know. I'd expect a lot of them to get handed down to kids. It depends what market your app is targeting.

Make sure to put analytics into any app you ship, so that you can see which devices your user base are using. That makes it a lot easier to work out when to drop support for things.