PDA

View Full Version : MBAers, do you have an ipad, what do you use it for? MBA can do everything of an iPad

kulimer
Mar 12, 2012, 12:20 AM
I really like the design and the portability of the iPad. It's perfect. But, I can't see myself using it since,

1. I don't play games. (so, I'm not hyped about retina display)
2. A lot people say how good it is to view pdf's on iPad, I think MBA can do just that, and with better with the trackpad.
3. I don't have lots of pdf to read, plus, I like to write notes in books, so pdf won't work as well.

I've read a few guys selling their iPad, because MBA is doing everything, no need for iPad.

Who has the MBA and iPad and want to share the story? Please let the world know.

JHUFrank
Mar 12, 2012, 01:04 AM
This is Frank's story of his ipad and Macbook air...
Bought an ipad, sold it for financial reasons, came into a windfall, bought an Air. Have no desire to buy an ipad at all right now.

Nebrie
Mar 12, 2012, 01:36 AM
Gaming is better but the retina display really shines when it comes to small text. The iPad gets way better battery life than the Air, doesn't get hot, and doesn't make fan noise. It's easier to use laying down or standing up. It's better for many situations, but worse for many others. It really depends on the person.

Macman45
Mar 12, 2012, 01:38 AM
I have both (or did until my iPad 2 went to a buddy) I have ordered the 3. It's just nicer to use at night, and for gaming it's better than the MBA anyway. There are a lot of apps I miss too.

mfram
Mar 12, 2012, 02:35 AM
Sitting around the house, it's easier to web surf on the iPad than my MBA. Especially while laying in bed. iPad is easy to read in bed, MBA not so much. Playing games is also easier on the iPad in my opinion.

At first, I was skeptical. But I got the iPad for my birthday and I quickly became a believer. I didn't pre-order the iPad 3, but I will get one eventually. The extra resolution should make reading even easier on the iPad.

However, if you need to enter a lot of information (like this forum post) then typing on a real keyboard on the MBA is much easier.

gentlefury
Mar 12, 2012, 02:40 AM
I have both and to be honest, the iPad is now the "private lounge" web browser ;)

Medic278
Mar 12, 2012, 03:31 AM
I have both and a MBP and I use my iPad primarily for media consumption on the go, for example, it airplanes, trains, cruises, or anywhere that having a complete computer may be cumbersome due to tight space or I don't want the possibility of my computer being ripped off (not that I want my iPad ripped off, but I would rather lose that than my computer)

scarred
Mar 12, 2012, 05:37 AM
iPad excels at a few things vs. the Air:

* Travelling. Whether on a plane or commuting on a bus, or throwing into the backseat of the car, the iPad is significantly better while on the road.

* Bringing it to work. These are my devices, so I'm not going to use them for my main job. But whereas an Air on my desk would be out of place, I can have the iPad there.

* Sharing with Family (lets say I want to show pictures to my in-laws or something). I don't like people touching my air, but the iPad is easily cleaned. =)

* Reading ebooks.

* Small games and other time wasting apps. :) iPad is a funner little toy.

Don't get me wrong, if I was forced to pick, the Air would be what I choose, hands down. But I like both.

GekkePrutser
Mar 12, 2012, 05:44 AM
I also have both... They suit different purposes.

Unlike other posters, the Air is actually my bring-to-work machine now :) I use it after working hours to do my own thing while I wait for the traffic to die down, that way I can make some use of my time instead of wasting it looking at someone else's tail lights. I do some Xcoding then and work on websites. I plug it in to my monitor there because I hate the tiny 11" screen with its small fonts.

I have a dual-screen setup at work so sometimes I would even connect the Air to the second screen, and use both with one keyboard/mouse using Synergy (using a Bluetooth PAN link between my work laptop and the Air). Works great. I could never do any of those things with an iPad.

But, at home I greatly prefer my iPad for anything I don't use my desktop (mini) for. It's so much more convenient with its apps, always-on etc. If I do something serious I sit down at the desktop anyway.

Oh, and the iPad ROCKS for travelling. Fits much better on seatback trays, battery life is like double the Air's, and it is even more portable.

jinesh
Mar 12, 2012, 10:35 AM
Ever since I bought my MBA 11", I've been using my Ipad exclusively as an eBook reader.

I thought I would use it to read emails, check twitter, facebook & listen to MP3s, etc but all of that happens on my iPhone. Guess it's time to invest in a dedicated eBook reader now :)

KPOM
Mar 12, 2012, 10:41 AM
I have been using a MacBook Air since February 2008, and just purchased my first iPad (Verizon 32GB), which should arrive Friday. I resisted the first two generations for the reasons you point out, but I think now there is enough iOS-specific content for it to make sense (iBooks, for instance, as well as iPad-only newspapers and magazines).

For the past few years, I've traveled with my MacBook Air along with my work Windows PC. As it turns out, I'm going on a business trip at the end of next week and will see how it works with my iPad instead of my MacBook Air. Now if my employer would adopt Ultrabooks (they have too much invested in custom software to adopt the Mac), it would be ideal, as I could easily fit both (in neoprene sleeves no less) in my current notebook bag.

deepakvrao
Mar 12, 2012, 11:03 AM
I use my ipad ONLY for travel. Movies, e books, some surfing etc. At home, I need a keyboard, trackpad and mouse.

eckthroi
Mar 12, 2012, 12:16 PM
I agree that the air can do much- but there is no way for me to use it as a reader for ibooks. This is something that I want to do yet it looks like I will have to get an ipad to do it.

thelookingglass
Mar 12, 2012, 12:17 PM
My iPad got massively more use than the MBA, so I ended up giving away my MBA. I've still got an iMac at home and will be given a Windows 7 laptop by a family member who doesn't want it anymore.

My iPad is my reader for everything. RSS feeds, Kindle books, PDFs, you name it. There was a period when I purposely went without my iPad to see if my MBA could do the job. It couldn't. Battery life is subpar, fans are noisier (than the noise-less iPad), bottom of the computer heats up. Not comfortable to use anywhere except on a desk and maybe on a lap (but even that's not so comfortable because of the small screen and tiny text).

The iPad, through Evernote and Dropbox (but primarily Evernote), is my repository for all critical files, media player on the go, gaming machine and web browser while on the can (just admit you take it in there, too).

When I went without my iPad and relied on just my MBA and iMac, I missed my iPad sorely. Now that I no longer have an MBA, I find I barely miss it. I do still need some sort of a laptop when I'm out of town and need to work. But those occasions are far and few between.

soco
Mar 12, 2012, 12:20 PM
I won't...

...curl up in bed with my MBA.
...lay on the floor and play some Leap Frog games with my son with my MBA.
...flip through Reeder articles on the toilet on my MBA.
...bother taking my MBA somewhere I want to play games over an iPad.
...also use my MBA in the bathroom for... research. Yeah, that's it... :)

Jett0516
Mar 12, 2012, 12:33 PM
when you have the 11-inch macbook air...you'll have no desire to buy the new ipad.

rbrian
Mar 12, 2012, 01:04 PM
when you have the 11-inch macbook air...you'll have no desire to buy the new ipad.

I have an 11" Air, and I desire the new iPad. I don't use my iPad 1 nearly as much as I expected, but i do use it every day to read magazines. It's much better at this than an 11" Air, primarily due to the portrait orientation. With the retina display, it'll be even better.

Hawkeye16
Mar 12, 2012, 01:08 PM

That is a pretty stupid comment, as many people in here obviously disagree with you.

For me I use my iPad for games, reading PDF (easier because it is more book like IMO), wireless secondary monitor for my Air, and AirPlay. I find with my Air, iPhone and iPad, the iPad is easiest to go to shows on the internet and throw them up to the Apple TV. Of course it can be done with the others, just not as easily.

As others said, bed reading/watching and traveling are iPad wins for sure.

robrob74
Mar 12, 2012, 01:22 PM
Well, last year I bought the wife a 13" MBP, this year I bough myself a 13" MBA, and we preordered a new iPad 32gb white wifi. A couple reasons we got it are:
1- my wife takes college courses online, and can't stand reading her books on the laptop, so the iPad will be great for her studies.
2- though my 3 and 5 year olds have iPod touches, I think there are some great educational apps and games for their ages on the iPad.
3- for me, I just can't wait to behold that retina screen! I'm a techie and I can't wait to find all kinds of uses for it!

Also ordered a new apple tv for the loving room, our current apple tv2 will go to the kids playroom. Yes, I'm slowly turning all my family into apple fans! It's great we can stream all purchases to the apple tv now, including movies, as we buy all our movies and tv shows for kids through iTunes, I love how it all comes together.

DollaTwentyFive
Mar 12, 2012, 01:33 PM
I have the 11" MBA and the iPad 2 - with a "3" due to be delivered on Friday.

Yes the MBA is an amazing device and can do pretty much everything. So good for me, that I sold my iMac and bought a TBD to use with the MBA. So now it is my only PC. I like having it synced all the time. I like having a huge splay at home and portability when on the go. It is great for when I need do do more creating.

The iPad, however, gets a ton of use in my house. When I just want to browse the web, or use an iOS specific app, or read an iBook. I wouldn't want to have to pick one.

I think, as with most things, your needs are going to dictate what works for you.

My mother ONLY has an iPad (my original iPad 1). She doesn't need a full blown computer for what she does (e-mail and browsing). If the iPad needs maintenance, I use my MBA to do it for her.

Some people are completely content with just a MacBook and see no need for an iPad. It's all just a matter of personal opinion and usage needs.

Speaking of opinions, that was just mine. :)

glen e
Mar 12, 2012, 01:44 PM
Anyone who claims one is better than the other is just looking thru his eyes and making a stupid proclamation. The Ipad is far better for business travel, sitting in airports, viewing PDF's at a job site, teaching a group standing up, using by pilots as a flight instrument and a myriad of other things where you need information standing up...Mazda just equipped their entire sales force in the US with Ipads for selling cars standing near the car, not in some small office....And check out any hospital these days...
but it CAN'T create content well....

They simply don't compete, and I use both religiously....

Most of these type threads are from those in dorm rooms who have never experienced a lot of other type of computing situations...

agree with the wife thing, she got an ipad, sold her imac and has not once looked back - she is a internet/photo/ email person....

madtrader
Mar 12, 2012, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't dare use my MBA while navigating in the cockpit, but I never leave my iPad at home when flying. It's a great navigation device, and virtual clipboard I strap to my leg. They're quite popular for this purpose and I've spoken with a half dozen pilots that use them this way and convinced several more of their utility.

Outrigger
Mar 12, 2012, 02:31 PM

you're confusing your wants with everyone elses.

jamesr19
Mar 12, 2012, 03:19 PM
I think the iPad is perfect for when you're away from home on holiday and don't want to have to worry about work or the possibility of someone stealing your MBA. To me the iPad is great for entertainment and is good for work (with Numbers, Pages & Keynote) but if I lost the iPad I wouldn't care - the data on it isn't a problem (not so confidential) or as important as that on my MBA.

grawk
Mar 12, 2012, 03:25 PM
I have both a macbook air 11" and an ipad (have the new one on order). I use them both all the time. There's VERY little overlap in my usage. The ipad is great for music creation, games, recipes, email, facebook, etc. It's also good for carrying along to client sites where it's much more of a hassle to find power, go through security, etc. It's not quite ready for every day exclusive work use, but for limited use it's great. Plus the whole 10 hr battery life thing.

The macbook I use as my primary computer for work. I have it when I need to use the keyboard a lot, am going to be working for long stretches, and have at least limited access to power.

gentlefury
Mar 12, 2012, 03:42 PM
I agree that the air can do much- but there is no way for me to use it as a reader for ibooks. This is something that I want to do yet it looks like I will have to get an ipad to do it.

But you can get an e-ink kindle now for $49. And it is MUCH better suited to reading than the iPad LCD screen. High res or not! Back light just sucks for reading!

richard371
Mar 12, 2012, 03:59 PM
I have the 4S and the 11.6 Air I5. I work in IT for a software company and having the Air is a godsend. I can log on and easily manage servers and do 100% of my job off of it. I had the ipad 1 when it came out and sold it after a few months. Got the ipad 2 after I got my Air and ended up returning it because I felt it was redundant to my 4S and Air. I ordered the 3 when it was released. The retina display and LTE alone may convince me to keep it. The problem is I can't replace my Air with an iPad because I use my Air so much for work. I use it in meetings and anytime I travel somewhere where I might need to remote in. Once I get the Air I will pretty much drag my air and Ipad with me. As far as non work is concerned I could pretty much use the ipad 3 for everything I do. The battery life is amazing.

SRLMJ23
Mar 12, 2012, 04:00 PM
More toys to play with, haha, just kidding. There are situations where the iPad comes in handy much better than the Air does. It's easier when commuting (Airplane, Train, Car(sometimes) ) Better gaming on the iPad and it's nice at night while lying in bed watching the TimeWarner Cable TV App or reading a book.

iKIKO
Mar 12, 2012, 04:11 PM
i also love my mac air 11, but when it comes to reading books, nothing beats my iPad :D

for anything else, the mac rules :p

Warhawk15
Mar 12, 2012, 04:44 PM
I really want an iPad...but can't because I have no $! :)

But seriously, the only things holding me back from getting one:
1. Can't play PC games on them. I'm sure I would enjoy the games on the iPad, but I would miss my PC games much more.
2. Can't use it for programs I use in school, like Microsoft Access and Visio.
3. I love the keyboard and could no way live without it.
4. 10" isn't tiny, but not big enough for everything.

So the only way I would buy an iPad is when:
1. There is a larger size, like 13"
2. Can attach a keyboard easily if needed(are there such things now?).
3. Powerful enough to run at least older and smaller PC games.
4. More PC programs can run on it.

I think it would be awesome to use an iPad if it had 13" around the house. Then when I want to play a PC game or need a keyboard, just attach a keyboard.

Who knows, maybe in the next year or two, my insane dreams will be fulfilled. :cool:

jamesr19
Mar 12, 2012, 07:11 PM
I really want an iPad...but can't because I have no $! :)

the iPad 2 has come down in price significantly and seems to be readily available on refurb store

2. Can't use it for programs I use in school, like Microsoft Access and Visio.

You can VNC into your computer and access all this, although it probably will be difficult to use or you could use the Parallels iPad app (it's really good actually). The iPad was never even intended for something like this so you can't really put it down for that

Who knows, maybe in the next year or two, my insane dreams will be fulfilled. :cool:

Pretty sure that's called the MBA 13"

adnbek
Mar 12, 2012, 07:20 PM
iPad has both portrait and landscape orientations.

'nuff said.

jamesr19
Mar 12, 2012, 07:24 PM
Oops - Accidental repost

jojoba
Mar 13, 2012, 02:45 AM
I have an iPad and use it extensively for work. It excels over my MBA for certain tasks due to the combination of long battery life/ touch screen/ opportunity for stylus input/ hand writing and 3G.

I use my iPad to read and annotate academic articles, and for 80% of my note taking. The ability to use a stylus makes it superior to my MBA with respect to these two tasks. I also love that I don't have to worry about battery life. The iPad is my main portability device, but if I go away for more than a night or two I also bring my MBA.

But you can get an e-ink kindle now for $49. And it is MUCH better suited to reading than the iPad LCD screen. High res or not! Back light just sucks for reading!

I have two e-readers and love them but they just don't offer sufficient functionality for my work related reading. The extensive options for annotation, scrolling through large documents, etc that the iPad offers just doesn't compare to a Kindle.

littlestephen
Mar 13, 2012, 02:48 AM
I personally use both iPad2 and my laptop for studies in my university. To be honest, iPad has its own advantages and disadvantages.

I found out that iPad is good for group project such as doing presentation, showing your work among your team members, and sending quick emails. Many people said iPad can replace paper and pen. I think this is not true at all. I have many different note taking apps. Unfortunately, none of them are good enough. I still prefer using paper and pen to take notes. One of biggest problems with the iPad is that there is a delay when u write your notes. This delay is extremely annoying as you often need more time correcting your mistakes than taking note.

I treat my iPad as a supplement to help me out at school. For other tasks, I still prefer using my laptop :D

throAU
Mar 13, 2012, 03:10 AM
AS previously mentioned, they serve two different purposes.

iPad = browser
MBA = content generator / better for data entry

the iPad has better battery life, is lighter, can be held in one hand or used on the go without somehere to sit.

the MBA needs you to sit down, or to sit the machine down so you can type. its battery life is not as good, but it is far better for data entry and has beefier cpu, etc.

Imho, plugging a keyboard in and attempting to run desktop apps on an ipad is missing the point. that's not what its for. it is for usage on the go, with apps that don't NEED you to do extensive typing. if you're doing a lot of typing, etc - you're better of with an MBA for those jobs.

Hawkeye16
Mar 13, 2012, 10:27 AM
So the only way I would buy an iPad is when:
2. Can attach a keyboard easily if needed(are there such things now?).

Yes, I have a Zagg one and it works amazingly. Bluetooth connection works with both my phone and iPad. Also works as protective case and stand for the iPad.

Warhawk15
Mar 13, 2012, 10:45 AM
I obviously know the MBA and iPad serve 2 different purposes.
I'm just saying it would be nice to have 1 device to do EVERYTHING(while being super portable), and not have a desktop, laptop, iPad, etc.
For me right now, its not worth it.
However, like I said, maybe in a year or two it will be good enough for me.

Once again, this is for my purposes.
I have read several posts where people would rather have the iPad over the MBA, that's great.