Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Giant Popsicle melts, floods New York park

NEW YORK (AP) — An attempt to erect the world's largest Popsicle in a city square ended with a scene straight out of a disaster film — but much stickier.

flood.jpg

By Gina Gayle, AP
Snapple created the stunt to promote a new line of frozen treats.

The 25-foot-tall, 17 1/2-ton treat of frozen Snapple juice melted faster than expected Tuesday, flooding Union Square in downtown Manhattan with kiwi-strawberry-flavored fluid that sent pedestrians scurrying for higher ground. (Related video: More on the stunt)

Firefighters closed off several streets and used hoses to wash away the sugary goo.

Snapple had been trying to promote a new line of frozen treats by setting a record for the world's largest popsicle, but called off the stunt before the it was pulled fully upright by a construction crane. Authorities said they were worried the thing would collapse in the 80-degree, first-day-of-summer heat.

"What was unsettling was that the fluid just kept coming," Stuart Claxton of the Guinness Book of World Records told the Daily News. "It was quite a lot of fluid. On a hot day like this, you have to move fast."

Snapple official Lauren Radcliffe said the company was unlikely to make a second attempt to break the record, set by a 21-foot pop in Holland in 1997.

The giant pop was supposed to have been able to withstand the heat for some time, and organizers weren't sure why it didn't. It had been made in Edison, N.J., and hauled to New York by freezer truck in the morning.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
lmao, thats hilarious.

A popsicle flood! Its the most ridiculous thing I'v ever heard!

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
I would have been running towards it. Think: its 80 degrees. Your probably hot. There is very cold snapple flowing towards you. What do you do? Find the source, and start licking/sucking. But, then again, i love free things, and will do a lot to get them. others may not.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
It would seem that they would know better than to try something like that in 80 degree weather. :eek:

Hopefully they will try again this Fall good publicity and a world record.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
and this is why i love being from boston not new york. how much intelligence does it take to say "hmm it is kinda hot out, maybe this could melt"

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
It was 114 °F here today, which means it would be a perfect time to bring in some snow and build a 75ft tall snowman. :rolleyes:

aka, try it in winter people.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
eva01 said:
and this is why i love being from boston not new york. how much intelligence does it take to say "hmm it is kinda hot out, maybe this could melt"
Us new yorkers don't think...we just do it... like crossing the street, we don't look we just walk.... :D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
puckhead193 said:
Us new yorkers don't think...we just do it... like crossing the street, we don't look we just walk.... :D
Around here they call that suicide, and the drivers usually don't get a ticket if they run you over (unless the signals are on the DB's side.)

But they do have to stop and give the police department a chance to scrape your body off the grill. :(

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
runplaysleeprun said:
I would have been running towards it. Think: its 80 degrees. Your probably hot. There is very cold snapple flowing towards you. What do you do? Find the source, and start licking/sucking. But, then again, i love free things, and will do a lot to get them. others may not.

lol...yep, thats probably what I would have done. Mmm, ice-cold, free snapple...slurp! :)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
What I don't understand is that they knew it was going to melt and the stuff would have to go somewhere eventually....regardless of whether it happened faster than expected. I'm surprised they even got permission to pull the stunt in the first place.

That's just friggin funny, though...

D

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
lol, too funny. Sounds just like a horror movie: "GIANT POPSICLE MELTS, FLOODS NEW YORK PARK!!!!" :D

Well we had Attack of the Killer Tomatos. Now we have Attack of the Gaint Popsicle.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
That's funnier than the time a baking soda truck collided with a vinegar truck. (And I made that one up. This one really happened!)

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
What a colossal blunder. Anyone out there with PR experience will appreciate the amount of time, energy and money would have taken to get this event off the ground:

Hire company to build the mold for Giant Popsicle
Locate a facility to freeze and house Giant Popsicle
Arrange Giant Popsicle transportation (freezer truck)
Transfer onto flatbed tow truck
Hire crane company to hoist Giant Popsicle at event
Arrange transportation, food and lodging for Guinness Book presence
Obtain permits to hold event in New York City
Legal wrangling
Insurance
Traffic control, additional police, fire and emergency medical presence
then...
Attempt to score media publicity prior to event
Arrange and pray for media coverage day of event

Realistically, the hilarity of the event's failure probably got them more press coverage than if it had gone off without a hitch, but their PR firm wouldn't dare try spinning that angle past Snapple corporate. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for tomorrow's wrap-up meeting.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Flynnstone said:
Next time, they should think dry ice :)
@ -70 C, it should take a while to thaw

Not to get technical... butt dry ICE wouldn't thaw, it'd sublime, turning into gas as soon as the sun shines on it. Plus.. it sublimes at -78.5 ;)

Wow... don't you love a little GCSE knowledge + the Wikipedia widget ;)

Anyway :) ciao

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
And now, totally unrelated news:

- Ants march on NY.
- Mysterious brain freeze related death increase.
- Crafty man builds 1276 popsicle sticks bird houses... out of a single stick.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
runplaysleeprun said:

You'd be the guy on the news, stranded in 8 feet of Snapple, while a rescue chopper flew overhead to save you.

Imagine that headline, "Local Man Nearly Drowns in Giant Snapple Flood-- Rescue Workers Save Life"
:rolleyes:

SpaceMagic said:
Not to get technical... butt dry ICE wouldn't thaw, it'd sublime, turning into gas as soon as the sun shines on it. Plus.. it sublimes at -78.5 ;)
Wow... don't you love a little GCSE knowledge + the Wikipedia widget ;)

Not to get technical, but the word is "sublimate", as in, 'The dry ice would sublimate into a gas as soon as the temperature of the dry ice rose above 351.5 K.'
;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.