Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2011
Hey guys. Just a quick question. (Sorry for my english if I make any mistakes :))

I have a lot of my blu rays ripped and I'm trying to follow the iTunes movie format. I mean I try to add the original iTunes metadata to my files and name the tracks inside the .m4v files exactly like Apple does it. :) A file opened in Subler looks like this for example:

Movie (1080p HD).m4v
---> 1. Main Program - H.264
---> 2. Stereo Audio (eng) - AAC, 2 ch
---> 3. Surround Audio (eng) - AC-3, 6 ch
---> 4. Chapter Images - Photo - JPEG
---> 5. Chapter Titles - Text

I have purchased some iTunes movies but not any with closed captions. I recently started to add subtitles to my movies and I was wondering how Apple calles the subtitle tracks and if they differentiate the various subtitles like "Forced", "Full" or "SDH". So that's my question. If anyone has purchased iTunes movies with subtitles I'd appreciate it if you could just open the file in Subler and tell me what it's called. :)

Last edited:

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Hey guys. Just a quick question. (Sorry for my english if I make any mistakes :))

I have a lot of my blu rays ripped and I'm trying to follow the iTunes movie format. I mean I try to add the original iTunes metadata to my files and name the tracks inside the .m4v files exactly like Apple does it. :) A file opened in Subler looks like this for example:

Movie (1080p HD).m4v
---> 1. Main Program - H.264
---> 2. Stereo Audio (eng) - AAC, 2 ch
---> 3. Surround Audio (eng) - AC-3, 6 ch
---> 4. Chapter Images - Photo - JPEG
---> 5. Chapter Titles - Text

I have purchased some iTunes movies but not any with closed captions. I recently started to add subtitles to my movies and I was wondering how Apple calles the subtitle tracks and if they differentiate the various subtitles like "Forced", "Full" or "SDH". So that's my question. If anyone has purchased iTunes movies with subtitles I'd appreciate it if you could just open the file in Subler and tell me what it's called. :)

Why? I mean, just add the subtitle and save the file. It'll work :)

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2011
Why? I mean, just add the subtitle and save the file. It'll work :)

I know, I know... But I'm a bit like a perfectionist when it comes to organizing my media files wether it is music or movies. It's stupid I know but it's like a sickness I can't help it. So I thought instead of purchasing a movie from iTunes for 15 € and look up there maybe some of you guys could help...

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I know, I know... But I'm a bit like a perfectionist when it comes to organizing my media files wether it is music or movies. It's stupid I know but it's like a sickness I can't help it. So I thought instead of purchasing a movie from iTunes for 15 € and look up there maybe some of you guys could help...

Fair enough, I just thought maybe you didn't think it'd work properly otherwise :) Sorry though, can't help you :p

PhyrePhox

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

First of all, I salute you! We are kindred spirits: I spend much time in Subler, making metadata for my ripped movies and TV shows resemble Apple's files as closely as possible, even for TV shows that I know I will watch only once and delete. I open multiple Safari tabs, with TheTVdB, iTunes store, Wikipedia, etc. I feel really satisfied when I can find the production code of a particular episode so I can add it as the "Episode ID" atom in Subler. I log out of my iTS account often so I can browse stores in other countries so I can see show and movie metadata from their country of origin. I could go on...

Second, I looked through all of my downloaded content, and I only found one with subtitles.

Third, the purchased movies and tv shows I opened in Subler didn't always have the same way of naming the different audio and video tracks; i.e. some were like your example, the one I found with subs has:
Code:
TV Show (1080p HD).m4v
---> 1. Sound Track - FairPlay Sound, 0 ch
---> 2. Video Track - FairPlay Video
---> 3. Sound Track - FairPlay Sound, 0 ch
---> 4. Closed Caption Track - p608
I hope this helps!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2011
I spend much time in Subler, making metadata for my ripped movies and TV shows resemble Apple's files as closely as possible...

Great to know I'm not the only person who's desperately spending so much time just for "perfect" tagged files. :)

I log out of my iTS account often so I can browse stores in other countries so I can see show and movie metadata from their country of origin.

I know what you mean and I have done that too for a while. But then I tried to use Google to search for an iTunes movie and I'm very happy with it. The right search with Google could save you a lot of time (it's just annoying to browse the iTunes Store). Try a search like this:

Code:
"Here should be the movie name in quotes" site:itunes.apple.com +"if too many music pages come up maybe a name of an actor in quotes"

Second, I looked through all of my downloaded content, and I only found one with subtitles.

Well thank you very much for that!

Third, the purchased movies and tv shows I opened in Subler didn't always have the same way of naming the different audio and video tracks; i.e. some were like your example, the one I found with subs has:
Code:
TV Show (1080p HD).m4v
I hope this helps!

That's interesting, I always thought there is something like one pattern that Apple is trying to follow. But these names are new to me. Maybe that's because the file is complexer and Subler can't read the file properly. Or some guy at Apple just forgot it I mean I can't imagine why they would give the stereo sound and the surround sound the same name. Anyway thank you for checking all your files hopefully we can figure out more about this. :)

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
First of all, I salute you! We are kindred spirits: I spend much time in Subler, making metadata for my ripped movies and TV shows resemble Apple's files as closely as possible, even for TV shows that I know I will watch only once and delete. I open multiple Safari tabs, with TheTVdB, iTunes store, Wikipedia, etc. I feel really satisfied when I can find the production code of a particular episode so I can add it as the "Episode ID" atom in Subler. I log out of my iTS account often so I can browse stores in other countries so I can see show and movie metadata from their country of origin. I could go on...

Code:
TV Show (1080p HD).m4v
I hope this helps!

I just found out about this app, might make your life a bit easier: http://www.iflicksapp.com/

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2011
I just found out about this app, might make your life a bit easier: http://www.iflicksapp.com/

We was talking about getting the original iTunes metadata. I believe iFlicks is using tmdb.org for it.

I just found this beautiful thing on the US iTunes Store. Has anyone purchased the movie The Help and can tell us how it looks like in Suber? It's just amazing how much extras comes with this movie. Why can't all movies on the iTunes Store be like this one... It has iTunes Extras too so besides the quality (and maybe the price) I gues there's not a big difference to the Blu-ray.

15gbifm.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.