PDA

View Full Version : Asynchronously Downloading MP3s

newtoiphonesdk
Mar 12, 2012, 12:41 PM
I am having issues getting this accomplished correctly. I have a Table View Controller that parses the XML of the podcast loaded with MP3s. On my did select row, I have:
- (void)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView didSelectRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath {
RSSEntry *entry = [_allEntries objectAtIndex:indexPath.row];
NSURL *url = [NSURL URLWithString:entry.articleUrl];
NSLog(@"%@", url);
NSURLRequest *theRequest = [NSURLRequest requestWithURL:url cachePolicy:NSURLRequestReloadIgnoringLocalCacheData timeoutInterval:60];
receivedData = [[NSMutableData alloc] initWithLength:0];
NSURLConnection *connection = [[NSURLConnection alloc] initWithRequest:theRequest delegate:self startImmediately:YES];
}
The only warning that I get is that connection is unused, but I am trying to set it up the same way the Apple documentation has it. I then have the following methods implemented:
- (void) connection:(NSURLConnection *)connection didReceiveResponse:(NSURLResponse *)response {
[UIApplication sharedApplication].networkActivityIndicatorVisible = YES;
[receivedData setLength:0];
}

- (void) connection:(NSURLConnection *)connection didReceiveData:(NSData *)data {
[receivedData appendData:data];
}

- (void) connection:(NSURLConnection *)connection didFailWithError:(NSError *)error {
[UIApplication sharedApplication].networkActivityIndicatorVisible = NO;
[connection release];
}

- (NSCachedURLResponse *) connection:(NSURLConnection *)connection willCacheResponse:(NSCachedURLResponse *)cachedResponse {
return nil;
}

- (void) connectionDidFinishLoading:(NSURLConnection *)connection {
[UIApplication sharedApplication].networkActivityIndicatorVisible = NO;
[connection release];
}

When I click on the row, the NSLog returns
2012-03-12 12:33:42.154 SMCoC[11283:17f03] http://www.smcoc.net/content/audio/sermons/2012/2012_03_11am_the_big_hunt.mp3#!111433318

When I click the row, networkActivityIndicator starts spinning, and goes for a little while and then stops. I also have a Second Table View for the Saved MP3s, where files is a NSMutableArray:
- (void)viewWillAppear:(BOOL)animated {
NSArray *paths = NSSearchPathForDirectoriesInDomains(NSDocumentDirectory, NSUserDomainMask, YES);
NSString *documentsDirectoryPath = [paths objectAtIndex:0];
NSFileManager *manager = [NSFileManager defaultManager];
self.title = @"Saved Sermons";
self.files = [[manager contentsOfDirectoryAtPath:documentsDirectoryPath error:nil] retain];

self.navigationItem.rightBarButtonItem = self.editButtonItem;
[self.tableView reloadData];
[super viewDidLoad];
[super viewWillAppear:animated];

}

And for the Rows in Table:
- (NSInteger)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView numberOfRowsInSection:(NSInteger)section {
// Return the number of rows in the section.
return [self.files count];
}

// Customize the appearance of table view cells.
- (UITableViewCell *)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView cellForRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath {

static NSString *CellIdentifier = @"Cell";

UITableViewCell *cell = [tableView dequeueReusableCellWithIdentifier:CellIdentifier];
if (cell == nil) {
cell = [[[UITableViewCell alloc] initWithStyle:UITableViewCellStyleDefault reuseIdentifier:CellIdentifier] autorelease];
}

cell.textLabel.text = [self.files objectAtIndex:indexPath.row];
UIFont *cellFont = [UIFont fontWithName:@"AmericanTypewriter-Bold" size:17];
cell.textLabel.font = cellFont;
return cell;
}
However, when I go to that Saved Table View, nothing appears. Am I doing something obviously wrong that the file is not actually downloading?

Bankerts
Mar 12, 2012, 01:40 PM
I believe you forgot one key piece: when the data is done downloading, you need to write to the device.

add:
[receivedData writeToFile:localFilename atomically:YES];

to the connectionDidFinishLoading method.

newtoiphonesdk
Mar 12, 2012, 02:04 PM
I believe you forgot one key piece: when the data is done downloading, you need to write to the device.

add:
[receivedData writeToFile:localFilename atomically:YES];

to the connectionDidFinishLoading method.

Of course...wow. One other question. Some of these files are quite large, and can take a bit of time. I will be learning to add a UIProgressView, but had a question first about download limits. I know that in the Review guidelines, apple states that when streaming stuff, it can't download more than 5 MB in 5 minutes. Does the same rule apply for Asynchronous downloads using NSURLConnection? If so, how in the world are we to download anything over 5MB on a cell connection?