Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BookEmDanno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
State of ~Aloha!~
Yes, depending on the speed of your internet connection.

I will have ethernet connection.

My original question should have been worded as this - First of all, does Netflix support 1080p? And I'm guessing if it does, then the ATV3 should as well? Thanks for your response.

Aloha!

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Will Netflix be able to stream 1080p to an AppleTV3? Thanks.

Aloha!

Do you find the choice of movies on NetFlix is any good?
Here in the UK, the choice for TV Shows is pretty good! But films? I don't even bother with anymore..

I'm pretty excited for my new ATV3, but NetFlix is such a disappointment.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I will have ethernet connection.

My original question should have been worded as this - First of all, does Netflix support 1080p? And I'm guessing if it does, then the ATV3 should as well? Thanks for your response.

Aloha!

Doesn't matter whether ethernet or wifi. It's your download speed. If you can't maintain a minimum of 5 Mbs donwload, then Netflix will reduce the quality to 720p or lower. All dependent on your isp.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Do you find the choice of movies on NetFlix is any good?
Here in the UK, the choice for TV Shows is pretty good! But films? I don't even bother with anymore..

I'm pretty excited for my new ATV3, but NetFlix is such a disappointment.

The choice of HD films on Netflix is subpar. Lot of older crappy choices.

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
The choice of HD films on Netflix is subpar. Lot of older crappy choices.

Yeah, LOADS of crappy choices. It's shocking!
We have a service over here which supports iPad playback, but not AirPlay (LoveFilm, owned by Amazon), that's SO MUCH better!

BookEmDanno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
State of ~Aloha!~
Doesn't matter whether ethernet or wifi. It's your download speed. If you can't maintain a minimum of 5 Mbs donwload, then Netflix will reduce the quality to 720p or lower. All dependent on your isp.

Now I understand. thanks
Aloha!

----------

We have a service over here which supports iPad playback, but not AirPlay (LoveFilm, owned by Amazon), that's SO MUCH better!

I agree with both of you. i think things went south when their agreements with content providers expired or terminated. but, for the money (8 bucks a month), it is not so bad.

Aloha!

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The movie selection on netflix is horrible. It's so many low budget films now on there.

gekko21

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2011

Whilst the choice on Lovefilm is better, I didn't find the streaming quality to be good at all. The picture was so grainy. I ditched it in favour of Netflix when it launched in the UK. Netflix doesn't have the same range although it's not bad for TV series. However, the streaming quality is fantastic and I've had a high quality picture every time. I was streaming Lovefilm through my Sony TV and Netflix is through AppleTV so it might also be a device issue. If Lovefilm came to Apple TV and the streaming quality was high, I'd probably subscribe to both in order to increase the range of content available to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.