Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Discaciate

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
Sorry for my ignorance, but I would like to know one thing about the Airplay feature:

How does the connection actually works? Does it uses my Wi-Fi network or does it make a direct connection between devices?

I ask because my room is a bit far away from my router and my Wi-Fi signal here is not that great. In that room I have a mac, and it's wired to that far away router. I want to buy an Apple TV to use in this room, mainly to use the Airplay mirror feature of Mountain Lion. Will the performance of it be bad because of the crappy signal?

Not that I'm only asking about AirPlay. I'm pretty sure that the other functions that use the internet are going to be affected by that distance.

My plan is to buy a signal repeater soon...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Sorry for my ignorance, but I would like to know one thing about the Airplay feature:

How does the connection actually works? Does it uses my Wi-Fi network or does it make a direct connection between devices?
AirPlay uses your WiFi network. Hence, the name: AirPlay. Naturally, WiFi signal strength and reliability is an important factor.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
AirPlay uses your WiFi network. Hence, the name: AirPlay. Naturally, WiFi signal strength and reliability is an important factor.

I think he meant does it make a direct WiFi connection to the Apple TV or does it go through the router.

The answer is it does go through the router since the Apple TV is not a repeater itself, just a wireless client.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you already have a signal repeater - your mac.

just share your mac's internet connection over wifi and have the aTV join that..
It will probably be a better and faster signal than what you would get from a wireless repeater somewhere in the middle of your house anyway.
or get a network switch and hard wire the aTV also, which would give you the most reliable signal. (you could get something with wireless built in, if you don't want to run a cable to your TV)

As David said it all goes through the main wireless base. wireless uses the "hub and spoke" layout of a wired network, but each branch is wireless.

airplay will also work over wired ethernet, so maybe they should have called it Copperplay?
Bluetooth also goes over air, so by your definition that would fall under the same name.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
airplay will also work over wired ethernet, so maybe they should have called it Copperplay?
While it may work over ethernet, the name indicates the intended advantage of using WiFi:
With AirPlay, you can wirelessly stream videos, music, and photos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to Apple TV (2nd generation) and stream music to AirPlay speakers or receivers, including AirPort Express. You can also wirelessly stream videos and music from your computer to Apple TV (2nd generation) and stream music to AirPlay speakers or receivers, including AirPort Express.
Bluetooth also goes over air, so by your definition that would fall under the same name.
AirPlay doesn't work over Bluetooth.
I think he meant does it make a direct WiFi connection to the Apple TV or does it go through the router.

The answer is it does go through the router since the Apple TV is not a repeater itself, just a wireless client.
His question:
Does it uses my Wi-Fi network or does it make a direct connection between devices?
Thus, my answer that it uses the WiFi network, which is accurate.

Discaciate

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
So I can use the "Mac as Repeater" route. Thank you for that.
Thanks for all the replies too.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I ask because my room is a bit far away from my router and my Wi-Fi signal here is not that great. In that room I have a mac, and it's wired to that far away router.

If you are using ethernet to connect your mac - just buy a cheap 4 port hub and plug in your AppleTV too.

Discaciate

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
If you are using ethernet to connect your mac - just buy a cheap 4 port hub and plug in your AppleTV too.

Not possible. The room is big and the TV is on a wall that only has an energy plug. So I would have to run the cable across the run, and thats a big no go.

I guess I will just have to work harder in order to improve my Wi-Fi on that room. Not much of a hassle to be honest.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.

Sorry if this is slightly OT, but this is something I've been very curious about. If two Wifi devices are communicating, does all communication go through the router, or - once the connection is established - do the two devices talk directly?

If everything goes through the router, it accounts for some of the lag when using Airplay in games. Instead of data being sent from iPad/iPhone to the ATV directly, it has an additional hop to the router as well, adding some latency.

Someone suggested creating an iPhone Wifi hotspot, and connecting the ATV to that. I wonder if that might result in less latency, since there is no router?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Not possible. The room is big and the TV is on a wall that only has an energy plug. So I would have to run the cable across the run, and thats a big no go.

I guess I will just have to work harder in order to improve my Wi-Fi on that room. Not much of a hassle to be honest.

Another alternative that hasn't been mentioned. You could use a powerline ethernet device. All you need are electrical outlets at your router and your TV. It's basically an "ethernet" cable that run along your electrical lines.

It is kinda pricey, and the speeds aren't up to Gigabit ethernet speeds, but then again, the aTV is only capable of 100 Mbps over ethernet.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Sorry if this is slightly OT, but this is something I've been very curious about. If two Wifi devices are communicating, does all communication go through the router, or - once the connection is established - do the two devices talk directly?

If everything goes through the router, it accounts for some of the lag when using Airplay in games. Instead of data being sent from iPad/iPhone to the ATV directly, it has an additional hop to the router as well, adding some latency.

Someone suggested creating an iPhone Wifi hotspot, and connecting the ATV to that. I wonder if that might result in less latency, since there is no router?

I'm not sure. I know I've used a spare Airport Express to do Airtunes before while using a Time Capsule as my router though. Not sure if that helps.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC

Everything should be going through the router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.