Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday, we noted that Apple's grand opening of its new Highland Village retail store scheduled for 8:00 AM on Friday hinted that the company was likely to planning to launch the new iPad at that time rather than in a late afternoon launch as was seen with the iPad 2.

We received word soon after that visual merchandising staff at Apple's retail stores were scheduled for an overnight shift on Thursday night into Friday morning in order to prepare the store for a morning launch, and now 9to5Mac posts a photo from a retail store source showing some of the new signage going up this week confirming an 8:00 AM launch for the device on Friday.

ipad_3_launch_8am.jpg

Apple's product launches have historically been scheduled by local time, so customers in any of the iPad launch countries with Apple retail stores should expect those stores to open at 8:00 AM in their local time zones. With Apple having sold out of its initial batch of online pre-orders for Friday delivery, those still looking to secure an iPad on launch day will need to wait in line at an Apple retail store or other launch retailer in hopes of obtaining one.

Article Link: Apple Retail Store Signage Confirms 8:00 AM Launch for New iPad on Friday

Last edited:

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
I'm going to the Coconut Point Apple Store in Estero, FL. I hope they are opening at 8:00am. The store normally opens at 10:00am. When I called I was told they didn't know yet what time they opening the store in Friday.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Was about to post the same myself. Looks like the iPad is distorted/warped

I'm guessing it was a banner, and someone had moved by it close and fast enough to give it a bit of a twist. Maybe combined with some lens distortion from too much zoom. Who knows, but you can get some weird results sometimes.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I guess the next iPhone will be "the new iPhone" ;)

Probably, but the product is “the new” iPad, not “the new iPad”. It’ll just be differentiated by the internal support ID “3rd Generation”. The product is iPad, like Macbook Pro or iMac.

It’s like “the new” Porsche 911. It’s new as of now, it’s referenced by it’s chassis designation (991), but when the next model comes out, it’ll be the next, “the new” :)

MS2083

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
California
The Apple Retail store near my place is inside a Mall, but there is a Starbucks at Front Mall Entance which opens at 6am... Going there at 5am and see if the Starbucks Employees will let me pass through!

Inakto

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
toronto
Lining up overnight for a chance at "new iPad" is the manifestation of growing idolatry and materialism, which just shows how shallow our society is becoming...
Anyone lining up to scalp an iPad is simply taking advantage of a solid business opportunity.
The truth is often unpopular.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.