Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
Hey,

So I am on the market for a new Surround system, my budget isn't very big 400-500$ but I am willing to wait longer for the right system.. I'd also buy just a receiver and get speakers later if it meant getting more things built in. I don't care for built in DVD/Blu-ray because I own a PS3 anyway.

My only real requirements are that it has at least 4 HDMI Inputs, because I definitely don't want to be swapping cords back and forth all the time and it must have an AUX port (should be standard I'd think)

My wants *considering my budget, these are probably a pipe dream*
- Dual zone
- 1000 watts
- AirPlay (or use AirPort Express)

Lumpy05

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
Bloomington, IN
I dont think you are going to hit many of your requirements at the budget you have suggested and get anything most would consider quality.

First off throw out the "1000 watt" requirement, its a pumped up spec that has little to do with actual performance. Many very high quality systems put out a true 25 watt per channel and will play louder than you will ever need.

Some suggestions, buy seperate receiver and speaker or if you are dead set on HTiB get an Onkyo system.

Here are some ideas of things you can get in the ~$500 range:

woot.com had a Denon AVR-1312 for $165 yesterday has 4 hdmi and is a quality brand.

newegg.com has a Klipsch speaker and yamaha receiver combo for $479 that would be nice. The speakers where recently on sale for ~$280 by themselves and will likely be on sale again.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.860170

If at all possible go to a store and listen to some different speakers and get an idea of what sounds good to you. If you are mostly listening to music a nice stereo setup might be a better buy even with occasional movie usage.

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
Here are some ideas of things you can get in the ~$500 range:

woot.com had a Denon AVR-1312 for $165 yesterday has 4 hdmi and is a quality brand.

newegg.com has a Klipsch speaker and yamaha receiver combo for $479 that would be nice. The speakers where recently on sale for ~$280 by themselves and will likely be on sale again.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.860170

Funny that you mention that, I just found a Denon AVR-1612 w/ 4 HDMI, Aux but no Multi-Zone for about 300$

kbutler84

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
If you can add a bit to your budget (or perhaps wait and piece it together over time) polk audio makes good spkeakers at a reasonable price. Check out craiglist and ebay for some deals. I have the Monitor Series, and really like them. Sure there is better out there, but for the money, they sound great to me.

My opinion, try to stay away from HTiB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.