PDA

View Full Version : Is It Possible To Assign A Name To Your Device UDID?

loon3y
Mar 13, 2012, 02:04 PM
i got my device UDID, to figure out which device is making transactions.

but it needs to appear on another program on a PC thats reasonable in length so it can fit, and the user would know off the bat which device it was.

so basically for my device's UDID number, i want it to assign a name like "iPod 1" specifically for this device.

is that the way to go? or should it be some how handled on the PC program that I'm sending my UDID to.

ArtOfWarfare
Mar 13, 2012, 03:13 PM
I would keep a dictionary full of UDID's as keys and names as objects on the PC.

loon3y
Mar 13, 2012, 03:36 PM
I would keep a dictionary full of UDID's as keys and names as objects on the PC.

ic ic, yea i thought that would be an easier way, i was thinking about just using the serial number but i heard apple wouldn't approve of that

thank you.

ArtOfWarfare
Mar 13, 2012, 07:14 PM
ic ic, yea i thought that would be an easier way, i was thinking about just using the serial number but i heard apple wouldn't approve of that

thank you.

I'm not saying there isn't another way; it's just the way that came to mind when I read your question (and I don't have any other that are coming to mind now.)

Why would serial number be any better than UDID?

loon3y
Mar 13, 2012, 07:52 PM
I'm not saying there isn't another way; it's just the way that came to mind when I read your question (and I don't have any other that are coming to mind now.)

Why would serial number be any better than UDID?

well because the serial number was smaller, it was gonna show up in the PC program in a "transaction table" in a line, so UDID would just be troublesome to recognize which iPod device sold which item and when.

but if we can label the UDID to names on the PC program that would be great.

less headaches for me. and does apple even approve these type of things?

edit: I'm still a beginner, i hardly still get the concepts, but I'm getting used to programming in general a lil bit. but still have trouble writing my own logic. or understanding advanced tutorials.