Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justaaron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Hello,
So my macbook pro is stuck on Feb. 19. It won't save any changes that i make sine that date. For instance if i browse on safari or remove a program from my dock and i restart it, none of the changes i made get saved it all goes back to Feb. 19. Even my history on safari is from Feb. 19. I could save files they stay they don't get deleted when i restart.

Im new to macbook so i have no idea were to start.

justaaron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Have you already looked at System Preferences > Date & Time > Set Date & Time automatically?

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

the time and date aren't stuck, they update, but all my settings are stuck on feb 19, i can't change anything or update anything everything goes back to that date. Even if i clear my history on safari and then restart, the history from feb 19 comes back up.

justaaron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Are Safari and Dock the only ones affected?
Does it also happen in another, even temporarily created, user account?

any system settings i change, if i change my desktop picture it will go back to the one i had before. It doesn't happen to any other accounts. I have another account that i migrated files from windows and that is not affected. Just my admin account.

fronteren

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
same problem here

What ever i change, is ignored when i restart the mac. From programs in dock, to settings in finder. Does anyone have a clue what is wrong. It started then i changed user account.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
reinstall the OS (backup first!)

call apple.

go to the genius bar (be sure to make an appointment online first).

just some places to start...

fronteren

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
I hope there is something to do, since I'm not keen on doing a clean install. I run lion 10.7.4. on a ultimo 2011 15´ mbp. After changing my account name, and also the "home" folder name, all preference changes I make is gone after the restart, and for example the dock goes back the old settings, and have a "?" sign where programs I don't use and anymore, and therefor have deleted. Safari won't log me in on any pages automatically. I have a felling that the problem is somehow in the user account. I am Admin, and there isn't any other accounts active. if i leave the mac alone for a while, i will get logged off, of any webpage.
Terminal commands ect ect. what ever will be helpful i guess

Last edited:

Jaydeez

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2013
Same issue with macbook

Hi
I was just wondering if you found a solution to this problem as I have the same issue with my macbook pro 15".
To be fair its been problem after problem since I bought it a year ago and I am hoping I don't have to drive the hour to the nearest Apple store to see the "geniuses" again as it will be the sixth time I have been in for various software and hardware issues.
Anything I change is forgotten when I restart. Even files I delete are back.
Any help would Ive much appreciated.
Thanks

mikeguru

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2006
MacBook won't save settings changes

You can fix this problem via the Terminal App:

Boot from your recovery partition by holding down the key combination command-R at startup. Release the keys when you see a gray screen with a spinning dial.

When the recovery desktop appears, select Utilities > Terminal from the menu bar.

In the Terminal window, enter “resetpassword” (without the quotes) and press return. A “Reset Password” window opens.

Select your boot volume if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled “Select the user account” if not already selected.

Under “Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs”, click the “Reset” button.

Select Apple menu > Restart from the menu bar.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Same problem

Hi, i have a late 2013 Retina 15 inch mac book pro, and the same thing happens, all my important dates are automatically switched into GMT and all my emails, even from outlook web app say its GMT time, but i don't live in that time zone, and i changed the calendar and settings to my current location, but none work? Help:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.