Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flynnst0ne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
I'm in the process of working with a friend to develop an App, and although i understand the promo code process, how does the "gifting" process work? If i want to gift the app to numerous people to review, are there limitations or restrictions on this from Apple? If so where can I find further details?

Also, when gifting, do i get charged for every app i gift, and then am thereby still responsible for paying apple their share?

Thanks!

Scott90

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
You get 50 promo codes per version that is accepted in the App Store. These promo codes are free for you to issue to whoever you want, and they don't cost you or the person who redeems the code a dime.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
You will have to pay the full price of the app.

If, for example, it's a US$0.99 app, you'll end up paying yourself US$0.70, Apple US$0.29, and the federal government US$0.06. You'll still need the money you pay yourself, given Apple isn't going to pay you for the gifting until... well, whenever they do (could be as much as 75 days later or so depending on when in the month you do it.)

flynnst0ne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
You will have to pay the full price of the app.

If, for example, it's a US$0.99 app, you'll end up paying yourself US$0.70, Apple US$0.29, and the federal government US$0.06. You'll still need the money you pay yourself, given Apple isn't going to pay you for the gifting until... well, whenever they do (could be as much as 75 days later or so depending on when in the month you do it.)

Thank you! This is what i was trying to gain some clarification on.

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
You get 50 promo codes per version that is accepted in the App Store. These promo codes are free for you to issue to whoever you want, and they don't cost you or the person who redeems the code a dime.

I've seen promo codes offered. How does one use them? How does one enter them and where?

Mike

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I've seen promo codes offered. How does one use them? How does one enter them and where?

Mike

On the iPhone/iPod Touch
Scroll to the bottom of the Featured tab of the App Store and tap on Redeem.

On the Mac (iOS or Mac)
On the front page of the store, look to the right side of the screen. There should be a link to redeem the code or something like that.

Those are both off the top of my head. I don't have an iPad so I don't know where the Redeem button is in that UI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.