PDA

View Full Version : What do people still use OS 9 for?

RBMaraman
Oct 25, 2002, 01:10 PM
Hello all,

With all the talk about updated PowerBooks coming out, again we are debating about Apple's decision to eliminate OS 9. So I was wondering, what people are still using OS 9 for? Or for that matter, do you still have OS 9 on your system?

When I installed Jaguar, I did an erase and install, and I never bothered to put OS 9 on again for classic. Prior to installing Jaguar, I hadn't booted into Classic or OS 9 for at least 7 months.

whocares
Oct 25, 2002, 01:48 PM
Games.....

Oldish computer = old games = old OS

elensil
Oct 25, 2002, 02:15 PM
Stolen software:)

But only untill you can steal some new software:)

blackpeter
Oct 25, 2002, 02:41 PM
A coaster.

(Jaguar only) No 9. No Classic.

drastik
Oct 25, 2002, 02:42 PM
I booted 9 too, which is nice given I'm stuck for space on my Pismo as it is. Finaly upgraded my last heavily used progam to X version, much nicer thank you. I understand being attached to some old software, but by now I would think that enough time has passed for most people to upgrade.:D

zimv20
Oct 25, 2002, 02:58 PM
i boot os9 for:

- pro tools
- tech tool pro

i use classic for:

- all my 5 y.o. adobe s/w
- office 98 (ick)

mymemory
Oct 25, 2002, 03:04 PM
99.9 percent of the software I use is in 9. I can deal with 9 back and foward better tha OSX.

There is not Digital Performer or VJ's software compatibles with OSX.

I understand OSX is very good and simpler in most of the stuff but I can't stand not having a calculator or an Apple Menu Itimes that I can configurate as I please.

OS9 is 100% more configurable than OSX. I just do not want to have every aplication on the dock, that is like an enhace control strip.

The interface should be personalized and OSX is not that.

I like to have an alias of one of my partitions in the Apple Menu Items and check the content from there, in OSX I can not do that, I'm not that free in OSX as I would like to.

OSX should incorporate the flexibility of OS 9, pherhaps in the future I would be able to find some share ware aplications that allows me to do that kind of things.

I just do not feel in the mood to transfer all my data to OSX, specially when I'm gonna face the frustartion of not having as many options in the already small Mac software world.

I rather wait for you to experience and complain with OSX so I can make the jump in the future, may be in a year from now in a more open and mature platform.

Today I care about OSX the same you care about the next cover picture of the TV guide.

zimv20
Oct 25, 2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by mymemory

I rather wait for you to experience and complain with OSX so I can make the jump in the future, may be in a year from now in a more open and mature platform.

to each his own. i've used mac "classic" since 1985 but have transitioned easily to osx. i think it's much better.

in comparing "openness," in terms of standards compliance, os9 doesn't even compare.

and maturity? sure, osx is only a couple of years old, but its mach kernel is from the 80s. it's pretty darn mature.

JupiterZen
Oct 25, 2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by mymemory

I understand OSX is very good and simpler in most of the stuff but I can't stand not having a calculator or an Apple Menu Itimes that I can configurate as I please.

I like to have an alias of one of my partitions in the Apple Menu Items and check the content from there, in OSX I can not do that, I'm not that free in OSX as I would like to.

I have one answer for you ;)

http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/fruitmenu/

mymemory
Oct 25, 2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by JupiterZen

I have one answer for you ;)

http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/fruitmenu/

Yeahhh, keep making fun of me.

I'm not in to the "fasion" any more, I mean, I'm not interested in getting the lates mac, the lates os or the lates soft. For some things I am, but I'm in a point where I can do what I want with what I have. I sure would like to have the latest mac but all the ram, etc but I want money comming in no going out.

OS9 for me is not perfect but I got it under control very well, I like to manage things well, I like to manipulate my tools as I like. OSX is fine but for me OS9 is not broken. OSX has very nice features but I can do my job with OS9.

For me is important having a calculator more than using the messenger, or having alias in a personilize Apple Menu Items, that si it. To navigate the internet faster? the internet is slow and OSX wont make too much differnece for me.

That is my point of view.

wdlove
Oct 26, 2002, 12:47 PM
Mac OS 9 is comfortable. When I get a new G? then on to X! :)

FattyMembrane
Oct 26, 2002, 01:32 PM
9s interface is a lot faster than osx on my g3 imac (kind of obvious) so if i just want the pleasure of scrolling webpages at full speed or thinking that my computer is incredibly fast, i boot into 9. 10 is better in every way, but the only reason that i installed classic after my erase and install of jaguar is that UT runs far more slowly in x than in 9 (hopefully if westlake releases a final version, it will run at full speed).

tjwett
Oct 26, 2002, 02:09 PM
Logic and all my VST instruments/effects. Games.

scem0
Oct 26, 2002, 05:19 PM
My dad uses it because he probably still doesn't know about os x :D. He has no need for OS X. He has been doing the same thing for years, with the same program, with the same computer. Upgrading to OS X would only cause problems. Problems I (the computer guru in my family) would have to fix :(....

:D:D:D

jefhatfield
Oct 27, 2002, 06:38 PM
os 9.x is good enough until i get something that has a G4 in it

jadariv
Oct 27, 2002, 07:19 PM
I have multiple computers and each has its own function. My g3 imac at home is osx (used for internet, and my wife's teaching stuff). My tibook runs both os's, but since i upgraded my final draft to 6.0 i can write my scripts in osx now so it stays booted in x most of the time. My work tower (quicksilver 800) still uses os9 because all of my graphic programs (illustrator, photoshop, after effects) are all in 9 and i just don't have the time to upgrade. and as much as i like osx, there is nothing to the upgrades of those programs that would add to my productivity at the moment so why pay the hundreds of dollars to upgrade to something so it just boots into x. So right now, i am living between the two universes.

madamimadam
Oct 27, 2002, 07:53 PM
I'm with whocares
I just picked up Toast Titanium so now I only need 9 for games

Just on the weekend I was getting back into Ultimate Doom, Joust, Specter VR, Critical Path and CroMag Rally (still have not downloaded the X update).

King Cobra
Oct 27, 2002, 08:44 PM
I have to use OS 9 for Photoshop, until we get version 7. I also use the Graphing Calculator (version 2.2) program from Pacific Tech (http://www.pacifict.com). For $50 or so it's a steal compared to Mathmatica, but it's a demon, since the developer of the program doesn't have the time, nor the money, to invest in Cocoa programing of the Calculator.

Occassionally I use ImageReady 3.0 and Strata Base 3.5, or a few other various apps.

whawho
Oct 28, 2002, 11:12 AM
Rogue Spear...

mcrain
Oct 28, 2002, 12:03 PM
In the voice of the Conan O'Brian dog puppet: "I use OS9 to poop on!"

isogonic
Oct 28, 2002, 12:20 PM
My mac is about 6 years old, and you can be certain that I use OS 9. I will upgrade (new machine) within the next year, however my 6500 runs CodeWarrior and RealBasic quite nicely.

I am very happy that Apple will no longer waste its resources on OS 9 development.

railthinner
Oct 28, 2002, 12:55 PM
Digital Performer. Come on MOTU we're waiting!

hesdeadjim
Oct 28, 2002, 01:29 PM
Office 98, Toast, Photoshop and etc.
The truth is, I use almost all of those in Classic since I don't use them enought to justify a humogous gain in speed. In all honesty, the updates to those cost a lot of money which I dont have. There was nothing wrong with OS9 except maybe not really multitasking, crashed more often than x(not much though), and was a product of how much you put into customizing it. Why I miss OS9, legacy and x is a beast. Also, OS9 is a lot more customizable than X. That's good and bad, good cause its fun, bad because the productivity of OS9 was based on how much time you put into customizing the interface.

One final thing, u could just always put a alias of the applications folder or any other folder in the dock and control-click on it to come up with a list of the contents. Thats what I did for my applications menu. I find that putting the apps I use more often in the dock and accesing the rest through this little trick as pretty time saving. Just my 2 cents.

Stelliform
Oct 28, 2002, 08:57 PM
OS 9

M$ Outlook to connect to my Exchange server.
4d Client 6.5 (Cuz I haven't purchase version 6.8 server yet)

OS X

Everything else

pimentoLoaf
Oct 28, 2002, 09:21 PM
1- Getting Roxio Toast to recognize my antique Sony Spressa CD-RW;

2- Marathon, Marathon Durandal, Marathon Infinity, Rubicon AO

3- TechTool Deluxe, Webroot MacWasher

4- Links Championship Edition (it's waaaaay to slow under osX)

Everything else is under Jaguar.

Chaszmyr
Oct 28, 2002, 09:24 PM
OS9? PSHA! i havent even run classic for like 2 months, and i havent booted OS9 since OSX.1 came out.