Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today officially announced that the new iPad will launch at 8:00 AM local time on Friday in the United States and nine other countries. The first hints of an 8:00 AM launch surfaced earlier this week with the grand opening time of Apple's new Highland Village retail store in Houston, and the time was essentially confirmed yesterday with a leaked photo of Apple retail store signage announcing the launch time.
Apple today announced the new iPad, the third generation of its category defining mobile device, will arrive at Apple's retail stores and the Apple Online Store (www.apple.com) on Friday, March 16 at 8:00 a.m. local time in the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Switzerland and the UK; along with Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.
Apple also notes that customers purchasing the new iPad will receive free Personal Setup to get their new device up and running, while promoting Personal Pickup options available through the Apple Store app for iOS devices.

ipad_3_hand.jpg

Finally, the company confirms that the new iPad will be available from Best Buy, RadioShack, Sam's Club, Target and Walmart in the United States. Carriers AT&T and Verizon have also announced that they will be offering 4G models of the new iPad beginning with Friday's launch date.

Article Link: Apple Officially Announces 8:00 AM Local Time Launch for New iPad on Friday, March 16

ramuman

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
Mine's been sitting at a FedEx facility in TN since Sunday with overnight delivery, but with a delayed delivery date requested. :mad:

Mr. Pezman

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2011
I've recieved shipping notification but so far the tracking numbers don't actually yield any results :-(

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Mine's been sitting at a FedEx facility in TN since Sunday with overnight delivery, but with a delayed delivery date requested. :mad:

Yours and everyone who per-orderded too. Apple said they'd deliver on Friday, so there's no reason to be angry over it. :)

Although, mine is sitting in Middletown, PA.

Last edited:

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
My local BestBuy says they are not opening until the regular 10am time.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

FedEx's hub is Memphis, TN.

All Apple products are shipped to Memphis well before the ship date, and FedEx has a contract with Apple to only deliver these Apple products on the requested date (March 16). If FedEx delivers these early, there is a penalty in the contract and FedEx loses money. It's in FedEx's best interest to abide by the Apple contract. Apple is one of FedEx's biggest clients and doesn't want to lose them to UPS.

Oman

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Oh I see Apple,,,, I pre-order and pay almost $900 for an iPad only to have someone walk into an Apple store, Bestbuy, Wal-mart, At&t or Verizon store and have their iPad before mine is even out for delivery. I say Apple should deliver all Pre-orders on Thursday!

BillG53

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2012
Oh well. I'll be at work as it will be a normal business day for me other than following the "track shipment" feature at FedEx.

What would be cool is if Apple would put up a Web Cam so I could enjoy watching the line build outside my local store.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
I haven't paid real close attention to the other launch days, but I don't think Walmarts and Best Buys in my neck of the woods (Western Virginia) have gotten launch day ipads. I'm more than 100 miles from the nearest Apple Store. I will be surprised if they are available.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
Oh I see Apple,,,, I pre-order and pay almost $900 for an iPad only to have someone walk into an Apple store, Bestbuy, Wal-mart, At&t or Verizon store and have their iPad before mine is even out for delivery. I say Apple should deliver all Pre-orders on Thursday!

Seriously? Get over it! Last year you would only be putting on order in on the same day as all those people getting theirs by standing in line. Be glad we were able to preorder this time.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008

Better than waiting in line and not knowing if you'd get one! I have gift cards and cash so I can't order online. Not sure what I'm going to do as I really can't sit in line all day Friday. Good thing I've gotten more patient as I've gotten older LOL

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Pretty amazing what they've done with this launch. Pre-orders with delivery on launch day. Initial launch in ~10 countries? Secondary launch a week later in another 20(?) countries. And it seems they've done all this while having plenty of stock available.

It's almost a work of art what they've done with their supply chain & logistics. Cook is truly shining here.

BillG53

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2012
Better than waiting in line and not knowing if you'd get one! I have gift cards and cash so I can't order online. Not sure what I'm going to do as I really can't sit in line all day Friday. Good thing I've gotten more patient as I've gotten older LOL

Exactly. Best Buy probably won't open till 10 but Walmart should already be open at 8 when the iPads go on sale. Maybe the staff at either store could tell you from past experience if they expect a line-up. I've read on other threads that people walked into these stores and did not find a line. Good luck... I hope you get yours.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Pretty amazing what they've done with this launch. Pre-orders with delivery on launch day. Initial launch in ~10 countries? Secondary launch a week later in another 20(?) countries. And it seems they've done all this while having plenty of stock available.

It's almost a work of art what they've done with their supply chain & logistics. Cook is truly shining here.

Assuming Apple continues at this pace, by the launch of the 10th gen iPad Apple will be able to deliver one to everyone who wants one within 30min after the keynote ends, world wide.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Assuming Apple continues at this pace, by the launch of the 10th gen iPad Apple will be able to deliver one to everyone who wants one within 30min after the keynote ends, world wide.

99.9% of consumers will never realize the work behind the scenes and how all the logistics work, but it really is insane what they're doing.

I saw an article yesterday talking about some asian airlines, like Cathay that will experience significant growth this year just because of Apple. Imagine that, an airline growing because of how much product Apple is moving?

auxiliary

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2012

WOW, i don't know what to say here.....you can't wait just a few hours? I wanted to go to Target to get 5% off, but you know what...you need to camp outside, because they will sell out on the stock the 1st day. Same with Best Buy, some people want to use the rewards card etc. You made a smart choice to pre-order, as I did too.

Dionte

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Detroit
This is why I think people that pre-order should have got theirs a day early. We ordered first but we'll get ours last on launch day. :(

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

This is why I think people that pre-order should have got theirs a day early. We ordered first but we'll get ours last on launch day. :(

Hey, you're welcome to come sit in line for 5 hours.

Now, I wouldn't say that that's better than getting one at 11 AM to your door, but since you disagree you're free to go out and sit with them!

zombierunner

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
UK
I don't understand this obsession with being the first one to have something .. same with video game launches .. chillax people ... you'll get it when you get it ...

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
wish my FedEx guy delivered at 8:00 AM, probably won't see him until 3:00 on Friday...

I hope mine shows up at 3:00; I'm at work till 1 and won't be home until 1:30-2:00 so I'm hopping the UPS guy/girl doesn't show up too early otherwise I gotta wait till Monday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.