PDA

View Full Version : Using external hard drive plugged into wifi router

RolledUp20s
Mar 14, 2012, 08:06 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hi. I have the Netgear n300 router, it has a USB port. If I plug my WD External hard drive into that with all my music and movies saved to it, am I right in thinking I could delete them from my MacBook air but still access them via the wifi router?

If I opened iTunes would I then need to change some settings for it to access the external hard drive folders rather than the mac air user folder?

Is anyone else doing this? Any tips on setting it up much appreciated.

I bought the new mac air lastnight, it has 128GB but Ive used 60GB already.
I only use the mac In the house aswel.
Would be sweet having a '1TB mac air'
:)

GGJstudios
Mar 14, 2012, 08:47 AM
If I plug my WD External hard drive into that with all my music and movies saved to it, am I right in thinking I could delete them from my MacBook air but still access them via the wifi router?

If I opened iTunes would I then need to change some settings for it to access the external hard drive folders rather than the mac air user folder?
How to split a single iTunes library over two or more media locations (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11227457#post11227457)

BigMcGuire
Mar 14, 2012, 08:49 AM
I have a Netgear N600 - http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wireless-Dual-Band-Gigabit-WNDR3700/dp/B002HWRJY4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1331732856&sr=8-3 - and yes, I have a WD 1 TB drive hooked up to it. I too thought about putting all my stuff on that drive so I could free up my 128GB Macbook Air. BUT - I take my laptop to work every day and to my parent's house on the weekends, and to school. So I'd only have access to my library at night if I did that.

So I got iTunes Match awhile ago and put all my music on the "cloud." I have some 3,000 songs there (30GB) and can stream them to my Macbook Air, iPhone 4s, and soon iPad 3 without having to hold 30GB of music on either device.

Congrats on your Air purchase :). I am loving it.

bogatyr
Mar 14, 2012, 10:11 AM
So I got iTunes Match awhile ago and put all my music on the "cloud." I have some 3,000 songs there (30GB) and can stream them to my Macbook Air, iPhone 4s, and soon iPad 3 without having to hold 30GB of music on either device.
+1

iTunes Match is great for this. I did the same thing too with about 12000 songs. Now they're on all my devices.

JonLa
Mar 14, 2012, 11:11 AM
I've used Tunespan www.tunespan.com to successfully move some parts of my itunes library to an external drive (mainly my dvdrips and albums I don't listen too very often) while keeping my core of music on the Air. Its neat and allows you to choose specific artists, episodes, season and move them to your external hd, then rewrite the itunes library location for those items.

It's really neat and I have no connection with the developer!

RolledUp20s
Mar 14, 2012, 12:33 PM
ok, so I'm home now. thanks for your replies.

i have my external hard drive plugged into the netgear n300
but on my mac air i can't see the drive?

how do i get this to work?