PDA

View Full Version : Here is why 95% of iPad2 cases will work with the "New iPad"

Aqua Bliss
Mar 14, 2012, 07:14 PM
My employer has a license agreement with Apple, I've had a couple of conference calls with corporate marketing and R&D. They mentioned that they have a room (or 2) in their office that includes all products (electronic or otherwise) that are Apple licensed products, for all devices. They even keep most of the old ones on site so they can keep compatibility with previous generation products, and test them against older products.

I'm sure when they were deciding the form/factor for the New iPad, they had the same in mind in terms of cases and accessories. When we all get our iPad's on Friday, we'll likely realize that all the iPad2 cases that are not hardshell (including the TPU's) should fit with little to no issue.

I think even the camera hole shouldn't be an issue. It's bigger in diameter, but most of the cases will allow for it, just with less empty space around the lens opening. I would guess Apple has kept the same anchor point for the camera position.

The only ones in question are the hardshell cases (polycarbonate or hard plastic). I have a feeling those will also fit but be a bit more snug. We'll all know in less than 48 hours, but I think it's a safe bet based on what I know of Apple's regression testing.

glen e
Mar 14, 2012, 07:21 PM
agreed, anything that is soft material - fake leather, etc should be fine...anything that has to be injection molded and "snaps on" like a back will need a redesign.

DarkAether
Mar 14, 2012, 07:32 PM
Except that this theory kind of falls apart when you consider all the slight changes in the wheel based IPods over the years which required changes in cases generation to generation and even more recently the slight shifting in the location of the mute & volume buttons between the original AT&T IPhone 4 to the Verizon IPhone 4 (and now the 4S).

Aqua Bliss
Mar 14, 2012, 07:35 PM
agreed, anything that is soft material - fake leather, etc should be fine...anything that has to be injection molded and "snaps on" like a back will need a redesign.

I used to think that as well but there's a number of companies that are advertising their molded snap-on cases will work with both iPad2 and iPad3.

For example:
www.amazon.com/INVELLOP-BLACK-Leatherette-Smart-Generation/dp/B006R2OH4A/
www.amazon.com/CaseCrown-Smart-Cover-Mate-White-compatible/dp/B004Y11VLS/

Case Crown has a pretty good reputation, I don't think they'd risk it if they didn't know that their case would work with the new iPad...