PDA

View Full Version : Are OWC smart covers genuine?

matrix808
Mar 14, 2012, 07:48 PM
Has anyone bought smart covers from OWC? Leather ones are going for $40. Has anyone ordered or know if they are genuine Apple products?

batotman
Mar 14, 2012, 07:52 PM
Has anyone bought smart covers from OWC? Leather ones are going for $40. Has anyone ordered or know if they are genuine Apple products?

I'm gonna guess if it says they are genuine they are. They have pretty good reseller ratings.

~Seb
Mar 14, 2012, 07:56 PM
Im interested to know aswell

Peace
Mar 14, 2012, 08:02 PM
It clearly states the Apple part number and says they are genuine Apple parts.

It does say "Unused / Like Brand New Condition" so I'm guessing these are the iPad 2 model smart covers.

deeddawg
Mar 14, 2012, 08:42 PM
It clearly states the Apple part number and says they are genuine Apple parts.

I've bought several different used Apple accessories from OWC and have been 100% satisfied every time. Haven't bought smart covers but I would order from them again any time.

I'm guessing these are the iPad 2 model smart covers.

Clarification in case anyone interprets this as suggesting they'd only work with iPad 2's. Apple's site shows all the smart covers as working with both iPad 2 and iPad third generation. See this for example and scroll down to Compatibility: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD306

LushMojo
Mar 14, 2012, 08:56 PM
With such a significant price reduction (on an actual Apple part, rather than the cheaper non-Apple smart covers on Amazon), does this indicate a new cover coming from Apple soon? Perhaps they're clearing their supply?

matrix808
Mar 14, 2012, 09:06 PM
With such a significant price reduction (on an actual Apple part, rather than the cheaper non-Apple smart covers on Amazon), does this indicate a new cover coming from Apple soon? Perhaps they're clearing their supply?

Well i've always known OWC to offer cheaper "genuine" apple parts but whether or not they are TRULY genuine i wasnt sure as anyone can "claim" to sell genuine parts.

but I will say i have bought Ram and and HDD from them and no problem at all. I have never bought apple products from them so was mainly wondering that.

LushMojo
Mar 14, 2012, 09:10 PM
Well i've always known OWC to offer cheaper "genuine" apple parts but whether or not they are TRULY genuine i wasnt sure as anyone can "claim" to sell genuine parts.

but I will say i have bought Ram and and HDD from them and no problem at all. I have never bought apple products from them so was mainly wondering that.

Looks like the black color is gone; just went back to get one.

deeddawg
Mar 14, 2012, 10:11 PM
I have never bought apple products from them so was mainly wondering that.

All the Apple branded stuff I've bought has been clearly sold as used, and this was the case. Again I've been 100% happy; I knew what I was getting, the price was right, and the delivered on what they promised.

Looks like they're not saying the covers are used. If I were to guess, Apple may be changing out the boxes to say they're compatible with the new iPad as well and thus OWC got some bulk stock to clear? Again just a guess.

Though when you add shipping I'm not sure these are as big a deal.

mikepro
Mar 14, 2012, 10:17 PM
Seems like a pretty good deal. I ordered a green cover.