PDA

View Full Version : Is there an Indie Developer forum? Can there be?

Greencardman
Mar 15, 2012, 09:43 AM
I'm a longtime MacRumors member about to make the switch to become an indie developer in the App Store. I realized I didn't know where to post topics about the non-programming side of developing my app, like marketing. Is there such a place and I'm missing it? If there's not, can we get a forum? I know myself and probably a lot of other indie developers out there have questions about advertising, release cycles, app store metrics, review sites and conversion practices. It would be great to have a place to chat with other indie developers about these things.

I'm sure Mac App Store developers and general indie developers might also be interested in such a forum, not just iOS developers, so maybe there could be sub-forums as well. I can volunteer to moderate if that is holding back the development of new forums, as I know it would take persistent work to stop the forum becoming a PR dumping ground. I'm really interested in the topic and also interested in hearing from other indie developers, so I am willing to do the work to make it become a great place.

Sincerely,
Tom

miles01110
Mar 16, 2012, 08:10 AM
I don't think there's enough volume to merit a dedicated forum to this topic.

Greencardman
Mar 16, 2012, 12:11 PM
But there could be, if the forum was useful enough. Right now there are not very many forums to discuss the issue and its frustrating trying to find help. MR could become the best place to do it.

Also, the number of indie developers seems likely to rise as time goes on, which can be an argument for getting in the game early. Plus I'd be happy to help out to make sure the place is welcoming and useful.

What would it take to try out the concept? The forum can always be shutdown if no one uses it. But I think it has a lot of potential.
Tom

lukebar
Mar 16, 2012, 06:13 PM
I would definitely be a participant if such a thing comes to be...

MattInOz
Mar 19, 2012, 01:28 AM
It would a good forum for the crossover topics between Mac and iOS programing. I wonder if it might cover Media and content producers from the other parts of the iStores.

Peace
Mar 19, 2012, 01:31 AM
This stuff can be discussed on the ADC forums .

Greencardman
Mar 19, 2012, 08:35 AM
It can, but all the awesome, nice people are on MacRumors :)

seepel
Mar 19, 2012, 09:47 PM
It can, but all the awesome, nice people are on MacRumors :)

Agreed, MacRumors does seem to be a bit more of a friendly environment. It is also easier to search here than the ADC Forums. I would probably participate as well.

thejadedmonkey
Mar 19, 2012, 10:01 PM
Count me in. I have an app for WP7, but enjoy these forums. I wouldn't mind seeing an indy dev forum.

robbieduncan
Mar 20, 2012, 04:22 AM
Non-programming but related topics, such as marketing, app approval times/rejections etc have been put in the iOS Programming forum without issue before.

TouchMint.com
May 25, 2012, 04:31 PM
I think the iphone sdk forum is pretty close to what you are looking for. Most people on there are indie and yea its a whole forum for ios dev (there is some crossover and and win7 too).

FloatingBones
May 25, 2012, 05:55 PM
There's a site iphonedevsdk.com (http://www.iphonedevsdk.com/forum/) that seems to do a nice job covering all issues related to iOS programmers. If the forums here aren't satisfactory, you could try that site.

Kuda-
Jul 17, 2012, 10:45 AM
iPhoneDevSDK.com is dead, therefore I support this thread.

I would really like to see a Business & Legal sub-forum and a Marketing & Promotion sub-forum

Littleodie914
Jul 17, 2012, 08:18 PM
Count me in, I'd stop by pretty frequently.

arn
Jul 17, 2012, 08:35 PM
iPhoneDevSDK.com is dead, therefore I support this thread.

I would really like to see a Business & Legal sub-forum and a Marketing & Promotion sub-forum

Count me in, I'd stop by pretty frequently.

discussion continued here

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1405934