PDA

View Full Version : New iPad's battery what does it mean for the next MB Air?

lightmyway
Mar 15, 2012, 11:18 AM
So it seems that Apple has had a major breakthrough in their battery tech. Since I'm assuming that the next MB Air won't have a Retina display, if it used the new battery, couldn't we be looking at 10+ hours of use on the 11" model?

Kendo
Mar 15, 2012, 12:04 PM
I think the major breakthrough is that they simply increased the size from 25 to 42.5?

tech324
Mar 15, 2012, 12:16 PM
Apple did increase the battery, but I think the battery takes up more space in the IPAD. So I am not sure if the battery technology got better or they just increased the size. I would think battery technology would get better year after year, and Apple certainly has the money to get a hold of that technology if they did.

lightmyway
Mar 15, 2012, 12:25 PM
I think the major breakthrough is that they simply increased the size from 25 to 42.5?

But they only added a tiny bit of weight, so I assume the new battery isn't significantly larger to gain that boost of performance. Does anyone know from examining the teardown pics?

nlr
Mar 15, 2012, 12:51 PM
I don't like the current MBA battery. I would love at least 9 hours and maybe implement 3g HSPA+.

Outrigger
Mar 15, 2012, 12:55 PM
I don't like the current MBA battery. I would love at least 9 hours and maybe implement 3g HSPA+.

what would happen if you decide to switch to a different carrier? the 3G in the MBA would be locked to one carrier, at least in the states.

tech324
Mar 15, 2012, 12:55 PM
Its hard to tell battery size. I tried to compare pics of the ipad 2 battery and the new ipad battery. I would like to see physical sizes of the batteries for each one.

deadwalrus
Mar 15, 2012, 04:46 PM
ifixit says the density of the iPad 3 new iPad battery is the same as the iPad 2; it's just 70% bigger.

tech324
Mar 15, 2012, 04:49 PM
Yep, it looks like Apple did not get improved battery technology for this IPAD

gentlefury
Mar 15, 2012, 06:09 PM
Not really a breakthrough. Bigger battery, and their Quad-Core technology is more than likely going to be no more than 1Ghz.

pgiguere1
Mar 15, 2012, 06:18 PM
Not until they move to ARM processors (like the A5X) inside the MBA which would mean losing compatibility with all current OS X apps which are designed for x86 (Intel). It's not impossible considering the increasing convergence of iOS and OS X, but I don't see it happen this year yet. Maybe in 2013 there will be some kind of iOS optimized for the MBA and designed with the use of a trackpad/keyboard in mind.