PDA

View Full Version : Games for a PowerMac G4 400MHz with an upgraded graphics card?

alexreich
Mar 15, 2012, 06:02 PM
Hi all,

I don't mean to bother, but does anyone know of some games that would run well on the build below?

Processor: 400MHz PPC G4
RAM: 1GB
Graphics Card: Flashed PC Radeon 7000 w/ 64MB VRAM
OS(s): Mac OS X 10.4 and Mac OS 9.2.2.

I would prefer games with 3D graphics (2D is okay if the game is a classic) in the Genres of Adventure, Horror, RPG, Strategy, and some Sports.

If games for hardware similar to this have been discussed on another thread please link me to them so I can have a look at other's recommendations.

Here are games that I know I already want:
American McGee's Alice
Clyve Barker's Undying
BloodRayne
Diablo
Diabo II
Duke Nukem 3D
Quake
Quake II
Quake 3 (I've seen mixed feelings on this game on older hardware)
Wolfenstein 3D
Doom
Doom II
Doom 3 (If my hardware can run the PPC version?)

Thanks for any help/input!

-Alex :apple:

Goftrey
Mar 15, 2012, 06:06 PM
Sorry dude but with a 400 MHz CPU, you're not going to get very far in terms of 3D gaming, even with a 64mb card...

I suppose you could try Halo? Maybe Sims 1/2...

Hrududu
Mar 15, 2012, 06:19 PM
Depending on which G4 it is, you can probably track down a faster CPU for it under $50 on eBay. I don't think you'll see too much trouble with those games, but even an extra 100MHz can make a big difference.

G51989
Mar 15, 2012, 06:29 PM
The only one I would stay away from Is Doom 3, even 1st generation G5's choke on that game, its specs are crazy high.

alexreich
Mar 15, 2012, 06:47 PM
My model is the AGP PowerMac G4 Sawtooth.

Doom 3 being out of the question is understandable. I play it on my 2010 Mac mini and it seems like too much for such an old G4.

EDIT 1: I did try the old Halo demo. It ran terribly on low settings in Tiger. Staying away from that.

G5 Mac Daddy
Mar 15, 2012, 07:05 PM
Return to Castle Wolfenstien!!

Hrududu
Mar 15, 2012, 11:13 PM
My model is the AGP PowerMac G4 Sawtooth.

Doom 3 being out of the question is understandable. I play it on my 2010 Mac mini and it seems like too much for such an old G4.

EDIT 1: I did try the old Halo demo. It ran terribly on low settings in Tiger. Staying away from that.
Halo really needs at least a 1GHz chip IMO. I ran it on a 1GHz iMac G4, eMac 1.42GHz and 1.25GHz Mini. The eMac was bar far the best mostly because of the GPU I would think.

adddictedtomac
Mar 16, 2012, 12:29 PM
Hi all,

I don't mean to bother, but does anyone know of some games that would run well on the build below?

Processor: 400MHz PPC G4
RAM: 1GB
Graphics Card: Flashed PC Radeon 7000 w/ 64MB VRAM
OS(s): Mac OS X 10.4 and Mac OS 9.2.2.

I would prefer games with 3D graphics (2D is okay if the game is a classic) in the Genres of Adventure, Horror, RPG, Strategy, and some Sports.

If games for hardware similar to this have been discussed on another thread please link me to them so I can have a look at other's recommendations.

Here are games that I know I already want:
American McGee's Alice
Clyve Barker's Undying
BloodRayne
Diablo
Diabo II
Duke Nukem 3D
Quake
Quake II
Quake 3 (I've seen mixed feelings on this game on older hardware)
Wolfenstein 3D
Doom
Doom II
Doom 3 (If my hardware can run the PPC version?)

Thanks for any help/input!

-Alex :apple:

Most of the games you quoted run very well on PowerMac G3 400MHz with standard ATI Rage 128 card.

So they should be running even faster on a PowerMac G4.

Have a look at my channel I have a demo of my PowerMac G3 running some of these games:

http://www.youtube.com/user/adddictedtomacintosh

InuNacho
Mar 16, 2012, 12:49 PM
Yep, I too can attest to some of those games running great on a Sawtooth with a Rage 128, although mine is 500 instead of 400.

Diablo, Diablo II, Quake, Quake II, and Duke Nukem work great.

pistooli
Mar 16, 2012, 01:01 PM
Return to Castle Wolfenstien!!

Oh, I used to play this one over endless nights... :) I might try it again!

ppcg4mac
Mar 16, 2012, 01:42 PM
I have a dual 450, and my best advice is to stay away from minecraft, less than 1 fps!

adddictedtomac
Mar 16, 2012, 01:53 PM
I have a dual 450, and my best advice is to stay away from minecraft, less than 1 fps!

Do you have the Rage card on your DP 450?

ppcg4mac
Mar 16, 2012, 03:11 PM
Do you have the Rage card on your DP 450?

no, i have a geforce (not sure as its at my vacation house) I do have a ATi Rage 128 pro on my 1 GHz free model (gigabit with aftermarket processor), but that is because i need to use a VGA display.