Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmaracz88

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2003
Toronto, ON
Ok guys, this may be slightly off forum-topic but I'd appreciate any response. I remember posting here about the radiation that the manual for my USB wireless adapter says is produced. Generally the response was that I shouldn't worry too much about it. I however just felt it'd be nice to be on the safe side and plug the adapter into the less often used computer and have the router connected to my more often used computer. Then I realized, perhpas the router would create just as much or more radiation?

What do you think would create more rf radiation, the router (D-Link if it matters) or my USB wirless adapter (some cheapo company if it matters?) I know, I know, the concept of rf causing cancer hasn't be "proven" but I spent hours upon hours in front of my computer each day so I might as well not take any risks and this is a simple thing to do. Thanks.

cmaracz88

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2003
Toronto, ON
Daveway said:
I would not stress over this. :rolleyes:

You know your cordless phone, cell phone, TV, and microwave put out more radiation than a router?

Well yes, but again, I use my computer much more than I should, sometimes almost all day. For a relatively small change I can have some peace of mind just in case there is a difference.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
You realize that light is a form of radiation? Then there's infrared radiation which is basicly heat...

Radiation is not a bad word. Heck, some of the carbon molecules in your body are radioactive.

Huked on Fonick

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
1 Loop
cmaracz88 said:
Well yes, but again, I use my computer much more than I should, sometimes almost all day. For a relatively small change I can have some peace of mind just in case there is a difference.

If its that important to you go but a 5 meter usb extension cable so u can ur usb wireless thing 5 meters away from you computer.........i dont see why ur stressing about this your exposed to so much radiontion as it is....Think about all those radio waves, light waves, sound waves, fast waves, slow waves and any other form of radiontion strinking your poor little body every day....even while u sleep.....your allready screwed.......

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Just at a guess, the router (base station) should be outputting higher power than the USB dongle.

Without RF radiation, the wireless network wouldn't work, so you can't have one without the other.

There is, strangely enough, something you CAN do about it if you are motivated. Your current antennae on the base station and the USB dongle are broadcasting in a more or less 360 degree pattern, so they are washing the room with signal. If you can detach the antenna(e) from the base station, you can replace it with a directional antenna, which focuses the RF beam in a narrow angle. Then you can replace the dongle with a USB connected access point which similarly has a unidirectional antenna. Now all you have to do is to line the two antennae up so they are pointed at each other, and stay out of the line of fire. Hawking Technologies has retrofit antennae and other devices for this. As the previous poster mentioned, you can choose to have the access point at a distance from your machine, to minimize personal absorbtion.

The other thing you can do is to line some clothing with copper mesh or mu metal. This would create your own personal Faraday cage, a space with minimal RF of all types, but you'd probably have to attach a ground wire, which would limit mobility somewhat. Also if you tucked your cell phone in your pocket, you wouldn't get any calls...

Don't do what I saw the otherday, which this person had wrapped all of their electrical (AC) cords with aluminum foil and duct tape, to reduce the emissions from the alternating current in the cords.

Huked on Fonick

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
1 Loop
CanadaRAM said:
Don't do what I saw the otherday, which this person had wrapped all of their electrical (AC) cords with aluminum foil and duct tape, to reduce the emissions from the alternating current in the cords.

Wow, i want some of whatever he is smoking.

cmaracz88

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2003
Toronto, ON
CanadaRAM said:
Just at a guess, the router (base station) should be outputting higher power than the USB dongle.

Thanks for the guess :) I thought so too but the fact that the router is a D-Link and the doggle is a off-brand I thought it might be different. Really guys, it was a simple question though. Whether or not rf is that bad for you (likely has some permanant efects,) whether or not there is tons of radiation elsewise, whether or not anything, it's a simple job to switch the router and the doggle (both computers already are set up to rum from both) so if anybody knows concretely I'd appreciate an answer. Does anybody know? Thanks :)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
You could always get a lead apron to lay in your lap. Your skin might be glowing green, but your jewels will always shine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.