Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docgerrard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I'm a medical student and all of our notes are posted online in PDF format.

I really liked the idea of having the notes and being able to annotate them and have seamless syncing of the notes between my iPhone (on the go) and macbook air.

I just learned that just to annotate PDFs, I would need other apps and that iBooks or preview or whatever Apple puts on there originally does not support annotations.

I wouldn't mind downloading other apps, but then I realized certain apps handle the using of a stylus in different ways and that this also affects everything.

Are there any good options out there, by big reputable third party programs? I hear evernote is great but this doesn't support pdf annotations either, right?

MortalDays

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
I'm a medical student and all of our notes are posted online in PDF format.

I really liked the idea of having the notes and being able to annotate them and have seamless syncing of the notes between my iPhone (on the go) and macbook air.

I just learned that just to annotate PDFs, I would need other apps and that iBooks or preview or whatever Apple puts on there originally does not support annotations.

I wouldn't mind downloading other apps, but then I realized certain apps handle the using of a stylus in different ways and that this also affects everything.

Are there any good options out there, by big reputable third party programs? I hear evernote is great but this doesn't support pdf annotations either, right?

My thread should tell you which app is best for PDF w/ Notetaking (LINK BELOW). I am in the same situation. (Look at the poll to see which is best).

LINK: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1340151/

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
My thread should tell you which app is best for PDF w/ Notetaking (LINK BELOW). I am in the same situation. (Look at the poll to see which is best).

LINK: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1340151/

If its existing PDFs you want to annotate then I recommend PDF Expert. I've been using it at Uni for a Post Grad course I'm on and it's been invaluable. As well as freehand, it allows typing and highlighting in variety of colours. More importantly, it allows bi-directionally syncing of folders with DropBox.

For simple note taking on a new PDF, then I've used Noteshelf although am now switching to Remarks, also by Readdle, as a recent update has added DropBox access. But there are a load to choose from, as the thread above will show.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I use iAnnotate and PDF Expert for all my academic reading/annotation. Both are very good apps IMO.

Dar-soft

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2011
Odessa, Ukraine
If you need a professional tool for working with PDF documents, you have to try PDF Forms. It allows you to add text to the document, make a free paint on it as well as highlight text. Moreover it allows you to fill in PDF forms and sign them if you need to.

Pel

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
Exporting notes

Hello,

Does anyone know a good app that would allow notes and highlights to be exported as text?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.