PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook sound stopped working

Aragorn
Jun 24, 2005, 09:52 AM
I came home from yesterday from work and went to use my powerbook and the first thing I saw that was wierd was the battery was dead after it had been plugged in to the socket. I fixed that by switching which socket the power adapter was plugged in to. After my powerbook was powered, I then started it up and found that no sound at all was comming out. I checked if it was some how muted, and it wasn't. I've looked in all the control panels and did a search on Apple support, but it doesn't seem that anyone else had this problem. Help!

ITASOR
Jun 24, 2005, 10:04 AM
Uhoh, sounds like you had a power surge that fried your sound card. Did you have a surge protector, or had it plugged directly into the wall?

Aragorn
Jun 24, 2005, 02:10 PM
yes, i do have a surge protector and have all of my stuff plugged into it. It's a nicer surge protecter and it has a green light on it saying if a power surge broke the protector. I was thinking the same thing with the lightning but the surge protector says its still ok, so I dont know. I was thinking of writing to apple about it but didnt know if they could do anything because I bought my laptop about 2 years ago and the protection plan is up. Any other ideas?

ITASOR
Jun 24, 2005, 02:56 PM
Even better than apple, call up the surge protector company. It definitely sounds like it got a surge. Just tell them everything. They may make you send it to apple to verify that it was surged. If they see it was they'll buy you a new one.

adamflybot
Jul 2, 2005, 09:08 PM
Finally, I found a thread that shares my problem!

If it was a power surge that fried the soundcard, what are the chances of putting a new one in my 12" Rev. A Powerbook? I know a lot of components are soldered onto the motherboard, so is that the case with this soundcard?

I was recording some instruments in Garageband when my audio stopped working. I had a mic hooked-up to an effects pedal which was then hooked-up to the line-in. It was working great for several hours, then all of a sudden there was some odd feedback and the sound stopped. Do surges usually happen to people while recording?

My surge protector is (or was?) working properly.

I'm confused about what to do to fix this problem.

Are external firewire/USB soundcards the only solution or is it possible to replace the ruined soundcard?

ITASOR
Jul 2, 2005, 09:17 PM
I still say call the surge protector company. For example, mine guarantees up to $100,000. Call them and just explain! Make it sound a little more like it's the protector's fault though lol. ;)

adamflybot
Jul 2, 2005, 09:49 PM
Thanks. I made it to the company's website and I'm reading up on their claim policies right now.

Do you know anything about the powerbook soundcard? Can this be easily fixed?