PDA

View Full Version : [Video] IKEA Macbook Stand Review

The Samurai
Mar 16, 2012, 06:07 AM
Pros:
- Good quality plastic
- Apple logo shows through the glass
- Nice design, Apple like
- When taking the Macbook out, can easily do so with one hand (no need to hold stand)
- Price: 1.59 (grab a few while your at it ;) )

Cons:
- base can be slippery at times, wouldn't be hard to add some custom rubber feet to it

Although its not specifically marketed for a Apple device - you could use it for anything. Its actually marketed as a 'Napkin Holder'. Go figure.

IKEA product link: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50107051/

w_Zhz4FxnvU

MonkeySee....
Mar 16, 2012, 06:38 AM
Don't worry The Samurai. Judging by the rest of his posts this morning it may be his "time of the month".

disq
Mar 16, 2012, 06:44 AM
This idea was posted to IKEA Hackers (http://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/02/macbook-air-desktop-stand.html ) a few weeks ago.

The Samurai
Mar 16, 2012, 07:16 AM
This idea was posted to IKEA Hackers (http://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/02/macbook-air-desktop-stand.html ) a few weeks ago.

Yep yep, someone tweeted me a few days back and couldnt seem to find the link of the article. The one I got was a Swedish one but ill link this one in any case.

jmgregory1
Mar 16, 2012, 08:11 AM
Because the ikea napkin stand is made from styrene (or polystyrene to be exact), I would not trust it to last and not snap at the stress point bend - which could be bad for your air if it happened to be sitting on the edge of a desk.

If it were made from acrylic, that might be a different story, given it's a far more forgiving plastic and can take more stress.

The other thing I don't like about the vertical holders is having the cords either 8" off the desk, if you stack the air front side down. And having it sit so you see the Apple logo right side up (back side down), you have to spin it around, which just doesn't feel right (I know, I'm anal that way).

What I may devise is a bracket that attaches the air to the side of my desk, thereby freeing up more desk space as well as getting the power and TB cords off the desk. I can then have the back side up, allowing for better heat reduction on the air.

Perhaps I should get on this and have my friend with a factory in China start making them?

Beanoir
Mar 16, 2012, 08:22 AM
Well done OP, that is a great idea!! For the cost of it there is nothing to lose from giving it a go!

mopatops
Mar 16, 2012, 08:37 AM
Pros:
- Apple logo shows through the glass

Ahahaha serious?

mjcharlton71
Mar 16, 2012, 08:49 AM
My good lady wife keeps buying these to put napkins in.... they keep snapping, she keeps buying them. Ikea win!

It's a neat idea that's a good Ikea "hack", but given that it has trouble safely holding napkins, I wouldn't fancy whacking my Air in one....

Rob Philips
Mar 16, 2012, 12:41 PM
This is a great idea. For the price, it is a no-brainer. I picked one up just now and it does the job! Can't justify the price of Bookarc anyway.