Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcneilis

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
Hi,

Sorry if this is a basic question, but I just wanted to make sure how I plan to do this.

I have an iPhone 4S and the new iPad on one iTunes account, and I've just handed down my iPad 2 to my Dad, who has his own iTunes account. The thing is, I previously gave him an iPhone 4 and kept it on my account. How would I go about moving his iPhone 4 over to his account without losing data such as photos and contact details, etc. I realise any paid apps would be lost, but it's the data I'm mainly concerned about.

Thanks,
Mike

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
For the photos, you could take them off the device using the USB cord connection, closing iTunes if it opens, and go into the device as if it were an external drive. Open folders until you get to DCIM - that's your photo storage. Drag/drop photos into folder on your PC/Mac. When Dad sync to HIS iTunes, have iTunes sync photos from that folder on his computer.

There is a way to backup contacts, but I'm not really sure how. I think you could use iTunes to export contact data (File > export) to a folder on your computer. I believe the iDevice compatible format is Vcard. I know I did this when I migrated from Gmail to iCloud - exporting contacts to a computer folder from Gmail in iDevice compatible format. Then importing into iTunes and sync.

Hope this helps some. Maybe others can expand on this.

mcneilis

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
Thanks for the reply. Your suggestions seem to be the quickest way to sort it out. Will give it a go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.