PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket SSD in the UK

Beanoir
Mar 16, 2012, 08:01 AM
I am looking to upgrade my storage in my MBA from its lowly 64GB to something with a bit more flexibility and so I can sensibly run W7 in bootcamp.

Where do people purchase their SSDs from in the UK other than OWC, which is my last resort but would rather not pay the extra shipping costs and potentially added duty.

Thanks

alflavor
Mar 24, 2012, 03:04 AM
I too would like to know about SSD upgrades in the UK - I asked my local Apple reseller - KRCS in Peterborough - they could do the job, but it was a sendaway so I didn't take them up on this.

I can do the job myself, but don't want to necessarily import a OWC SSD

eBay? Not looked, but might!

iClive
Mar 24, 2012, 03:10 AM
I'm looking into this too.

Does anyone know the exact spec of the SSD memory please?

lc25
Mar 24, 2012, 05:52 AM
In the end i just imported OWC's, was so much easier and didn't cost the earth.

alphaod
Mar 26, 2012, 03:14 AM
You really don't have much of a choice. You can either get a crappy Toshiba drive, pick up an okay Samsung drive, or spend about the same on a really fast OWC drive.

will0407
Mar 26, 2012, 03:57 AM
128GB and 256GB drives are knocking about on ebay. I bought a 128GB drive for 67 (and have seen many others sell for around that).

I sold a 256GB drive for 180 as I replaced it with the 128gb as my mate didn't need that much storage.

On my own airs, I've usually bought the 2010 ultimate off ebay at a good price, switched it with my stock 128GB and then sold it on (once for profit, and twice for small losses). Definitely the cheapest way to do it.