PDA

View Full Version : Does Maroo's case work with ipad 3 sleep/wake function?

medelman
Mar 16, 2012, 10:33 AM
With all the people that bought their case from them (including me) just curious if the magnet location doesn't work with the new ipad. I haven't received either yet today, so am curious.

Laserawesome
Mar 16, 2012, 10:52 AM
With all the people that bought their case from them (including me) just curious if the magnet location doesn't work with the new ipad. I haven't received either yet today, so am curious.

I have the new iPad and a new Maroo case. I believe my case is the Moko, and the smart cover function doesn't work reliably at all. If i hold it shut it works, but if I let go of it it just turns right back on. I didn't own a smart cover with my last pad so I'm not sure if there is a way to fiddle with the settings so that it works better, but the answer right now is no.

The magnet also doesn't hold the cover closed at all, you need to use the included elastic straps. I'm not sure if the magnet is just too weak to function well as a smart cover, or if it's placement is off.

Luckily I got this case for the 50% off sale price so I didn't expect or need it to be spectacular, I just wanted something that I could use immediately. I'll probably invest in a different case down the road. Other than the magnet problem tho, the case is really nice. The leather feels good and it has a larger strap inside that you can slip your hand into to cradle the ipad so your wrist doesn't get tired.

Some people were questioning if the camera hole was too small or poorly positioned- I guess it was an issue with the iPad 2- but on this model the camera hole is large and in the right place. It doesn't effect the camera at all.

medelman
Mar 16, 2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the post! Yeah, I also bought it at the last minute as well more for protection then anything given the discounted price. But people were giving good reviews on the case so I was thinking of using it long term if I liked it.

richpjr
Mar 16, 2012, 11:43 AM
I have the new iPad and a new Maroo case. I believe my case is the Moko, and the smart cover function doesn't work reliably at all. If i hold it shut it works, but if I let go of it it just turns right back on. I didn't own a smart cover with my last pad so I'm not sure if there is a way to fiddle with the settings so that it works better, but the answer right now is no.

The magnet also doesn't hold the cover closed at all, you need to use the included elastic straps. I'm not sure if the magnet is just too weak to function well as a smart cover, or if it's placement is off.

Luckily I got this case for the 50% off sale price so I didn't expect or need it to be spectacular, I just wanted something that I could use immediately. I'll probably invest in a different case down the road. Other than the magnet problem tho, the case is really nice. The leather feels good and it has a larger strap inside that you can slip your hand into to cradle the ipad so your wrist doesn't get tired.

Some people were questioning if the camera hole was too small or poorly positioned- I guess it was an issue with the iPad 2- but on this model the camera hole is large and in the right place. It doesn't effect the camera at all.

That kind of sucks. Like you, I made an impulse buy due to the sale price. If mine works as intermittently as yours, I'll probably give it to the wife for her iPad 2 and stick with the Feather and smart cover I also bought.

MarooBeau
Mar 16, 2012, 01:19 PM
Hi all. Quick update on the magnet feature. Apparently, Apple switched the magnet polarity in the new iPad. Luckily, the magnets in our cases are strong enough to break through that polarity switch.

All new orders should work as advertised. If you are having a problem with the magnet feature, contact me via email at info@maroo.com

It should be noted that, due to extra protection given by the thickness of our cases, the magnets were never designed to hold the case closed. This is true even with the iPad 2. To make sure your case stays closed when you're not using it, be sure to use the handy reversible straps on the top and bottom of the case.

Thanks!

LanikaiGirl
Mar 17, 2012, 03:15 PM
I am having the same issue with my case with the iPad 3. I have to actually tent the top a bit for it to even work. I have sent an email to maroo, and am waiting on a reply. Other than the magnet issue (which really does matter to me) it is a very high quality case.

oliboli
Mar 17, 2012, 03:38 PM
For what it's worth, my magnets work perfectly.

Sterne
Mar 17, 2012, 03:50 PM
...just as Maroo says. Magnets do not hold the case closed, but they reliably put the new iPad to sleep, and it wakes when I open the case. It's a Kumara II brown leather case.

----------

...the magnets also work with the Aranga 2.

glen e
Mar 17, 2012, 03:59 PM
See my pics here - don't care about the magnet thing - it's so ridiculous as it shuts off in 2 min anyway...nice case maroobeau - I'll keep it. At 22 it's the best value on the web right now...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1343426

Would like to see the roto with black felt inside...

firstapple
Mar 17, 2012, 04:21 PM
My Moko works perfectly on my new iPad. The best deal around for a beautiful case!

stareee
Mar 18, 2012, 10:42 AM
Received MOKO yesterday. The case fit new pad well and high quality. But magnet doesn't work at all. I turn ipad cover on option in settings. Never turn on ipad or turn off ipad. Smart cover is one of my reasons to buy the new cover for my new ipad. Are there anyway to fix this?

Mark Booth
Mar 18, 2012, 11:32 AM
Many (most?) third-party case manufacturers have been stung by the fact that Apple decided to use a different magnetically-activated sleep/wake sensor switch in their new iPad 3. While the iPad 2's sensor switch works with a magnet oriented in either polarity, the iPad 3's sensor switch requires a specific polarity.

Everything is demonstrated and explained in the link in my signature below.

Mark

Sterne
Mar 18, 2012, 11:53 AM
...just as Maroo says. Magnets do not hold the case closed, but they reliably put the new iPad to sleep, and it wakes when I open the case. It's a Kumara II brown leather case.

----------

...the magnets also work with the Aranga 2.

Not so after all - the Kumara works as it should, but the Aranga is hit and miss. It usually puts the iPad to sleep when I close it, and usually does not wake it when I open the case. I believe that Mark Booth's video explains exactly what is going on here.

errorunknown
Mar 19, 2012, 02:39 AM
I have the MOKO case for my iPad 3 and am having the same issue with the sleep/wake feature. It only triggers when I have the cover closed and I pull the cover toward the spine. As soon as I move it back over to put the elastic straps on, the screen turns back on. This is a pretty important feature as the bumpers make it difficult to reach the power button. Sent an email and waiting for a reply.

larmonkm
Mar 19, 2012, 03:30 AM
neither of my maroo cases work with the sleep/wake function. i have the koru II and the roto II.

from what i have read so far on here, it seems as though it's very hit or miss.

Webkoor-CEO
Mar 21, 2012, 11:19 AM
SOLVED

see:

David Pollina
CEO
Miqna Webkoor Ltd.
www.tixpoint.com