PDA

View Full Version : iPad 1 case no good - suggestions for iPad 3 case

Hairsy
Mar 16, 2012, 12:07 PM
Yes, I know it's not called an iPad 3!

I sold my iPad 1 a few weeks aho but kept my original Apple case. I really liked the Apple case - it's light, adds very little bulk and just works.

My new iPad arrived today and I now realise that it just won't work in the Apple case - it's too thin. I'd expected to have to pad it out a little but it just isn't snug enough.

So can anyone suggest a case for the iPad 3 that is as close as possible to the original Apple iPad case?

I like the Smart Case concept but I want the back and sides protected too.

Many thanks

Dave

bobobenobi
Mar 16, 2012, 12:11 PM
I tried to use a wallet I bought in the fourth grade, but that didn't work either.

Jackintosh
Mar 16, 2012, 12:12 PM
I would have guessed the iPad 2 case would be way too loose for either the 2 or 3.

But along these lines, I'm hoping my iPad 2 case fits iPad 3. These 2 models are more similar in size. I have a leather journal type case, and will know soon enough today.

Hairsy
Mar 16, 2012, 12:27 PM
I tried to use a wallet I bought in the fourth grade, but that didn't work either.

With wit like that, you should be on the stage.

gmanist1000
Mar 16, 2012, 12:30 PM
Yes, I know it's not called an iPad 3!

I sold my iPad 1 a few weeks aho but kept my original Apple case. I really liked the Apple case - it's light, adds very little bulk and just works.

My new iPad arrived today and I now realise that it just won't work in the Apple case - it's too thin. I'd expected to have to pad it out a little but it just isn't snug enough.

So can anyone suggest a case for the iPad 3 that is as close as possible to the original Apple iPad case?

I like the Smart Case concept but I want the back and sides protected too.

Many thanks

Dave

You LIKE the iPad 1 case? But it's just so... Terrible!

I'd go for the smart cover.

Southernboyj
Mar 16, 2012, 12:35 PM
Your iPad 1 case doesn't fit your new iPad? Never would of thought.

lespaul85
Mar 16, 2012, 12:39 PM
I still have my iPad 1 cover, which I used on my iPad 2 for a while and I was hoping any added heft of the iPad (3) would help fill it back up... It is THE best case I say despite what I see some here saying. I have other covers and in fact carry the ipad2 around in a different one but they all make it crazy thick or don't protect it enough from what I've seen. I was totally planning though on putting my new iPad into the original case since I was fine when I had my iPad 2 in there even with the "floppiness" of its fit. I'd love to hear suggestions though for any others that do the same job of FULL cover with the same thin-ness

GoCubsGo
Mar 16, 2012, 12:41 PM

With wit like that, you should be on the stage.

Well I certainly laughed.

I would probably look into a smart cover and a back case.

Hairsy
Mar 16, 2012, 02:12 PM
I would probably look into a smart cover and a back case.

Thank you - a suggestion!

Unlike many (I suspect), I don't spend a great deal of time on forums and I didn't realise this was an option.

Could you recommend any thin but effective back cases that you've seen or tried?

Many thanks

GoCubsGo
Mar 16, 2012, 02:47 PM
Thank you - a suggestion!

Unlike many (I suspect), I don't spend a great deal of time on forums and I didn't realise this was an option.

Could you recommend any thin but effective back cases that you've seen or tried?

Many thanks

Belkin's back cover http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=650033 is affordable. Marware's is ok but it leaves more exposed than one may want. Belkin's covers more than Marware's. SwitchEasy's Cover Buddy is definitely nice but again, this is a new product so you may have stock issues.

You may find you will have to get something now to tie you over until you get what you want, you know?

The Apple 1 case is by far the best case. I love that it protected from scratches but did not add much bulk. I wish they didn't get rid of that at all. After 2 years of heavy use the case stands up well still. I think the back + smart cover will add the least bulk and give you folio-type protection.

Hairsy
Mar 16, 2012, 02:57 PM
Thank you - that's really helpful.

sealos
Mar 16, 2012, 03:19 PM
I would agree with Jessica. I loved the iPad 1 case. Totally missed it when I bought the iPad 2. Wound up buying the smart cover and an inexpensive TPU case off ebay. I think it was something like $10 or so. I was really skeptical of it until I received it and put my ipad into it. Worked like a charm.

Fast forward to the new iPad... I wasn't really looking forward to having to buy a new back. So when the new iPad showed up today, I'm very happy that my cheapo TPU back case totally fits.

With that said, I'm liking the idea of the Incipio Smart Feather case because it appears to be the same style as I have, but the cool thing about it is that it will magically lock your smart cover down so it won't accidentally pop off. Doesn't have often, but I like the sense of security.

Good luck and if you find a case like the iPad 1 case... report back!

Enjoy the new iPad.

cruiserandmax
Mar 18, 2012, 01:49 AM
I'm in the exact same boat as the OP. I think the Apple iPad1 case was simply the best case I've had to date. I am desperately searching for the closest thing possible for my new iPad. I personally don't think there's anything that "smart" about the smart-cover.

diannao
Mar 18, 2012, 05:44 AM
I have the "Yoobao Lively Case for iPad 2" (available on Amazon) which also works for my iPad 3rd gen. It's lower quality than the Apple iPad 1 case, but is the same basic form factor and as useful.

Hairsy
Mar 18, 2012, 11:37 AM
I've ordered one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007784CJS

It is so cheap that it's worth the risk. If it's no good I may well try the previous poster's suggestion.

Thanks to all of you who accept that some us do like the original iPad case!

stephg
Mar 18, 2012, 12:10 PM
I have one similar to what you bought. It's fine, but bulkier. I also love the iPad 1 Apple case! I would buy one exactly like it for my new iPad, if I could.

kaikai830
Mar 18, 2012, 12:19 PM
I just check dealextreme, they have a few cover for the ipad 2 should fit the ipad 3 also similar in style to the original ipad's cover. here's a couple of them but I think they have different ones on their site also.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrathin-protective-wake-up-sleep-smart-cover-case-for-ipad-2-black-80827
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrathin-protective-wake-up-sleep-smart-cover-case-for-ipad-2-black-71637

JonLDavis
Mar 18, 2012, 02:37 PM
Put me on the list of people who loved the Apple Case on the Ipad 1; recently got the New Ipad and have been obsessively looking for a replacement.

The Apple Folio case:

a) covered the iPad, protecting it completely
b) adhered to the contours of the iPad and didn't add bulk and
c) had a reasonable grip -- although I'm sure there's better out there.
d) Seemed to block the light emanating from it, so when I read it at night, it didn't wake up my wife.

But then again, it's the only case I've ever known. I've only used my new Ipad while sitting on the couch or bed. A naked iPad is just a tad slippery for my fingers, or it *feels* like it is, so I need a case with a reasonable grip. I rarely took my iPad out of its Apple case. I use it mostly as an e-reader.

I think I want something like the original Apple case but puts the iPad to sleep upon closing. I looked all yesterday for a new case but didn't pull the trigger, since it's seems like there isn't enough information out there. Here's what I looked at.

1) Incipio Lexington -- No reviews yet, and I don't know if I like that buckle. I don't want an extra step when closing my iPad.

2) Switcheasy Canvas -- It's the right idea but looks too bulky.

3) Targus Slim -- I detest that circle cut out for the apple logo (not to mention it apparently doesn't work yet)

4) Incipio featherweight plus smart cover -- I like the lighter weight but I'm wary about the protection. Those smart covers look kinda insubstantial. But I could be convinced.

5) Bookslim 2 -- that looked about right but not for New iPad yet...

6) Yoobao Lively-- also looks right... but it's not for New iPad 3. I saw one person say that it still fit but I'm a little wary of whether it's too snug and whether the material is not that great.

7) Yoobao Executive -- There seemed to be a thing where they needed 3 tries to get it right on the previous model. But it looks lightweight and protective. I'm also wary of stitching, which looks ugly to me. But no reviews on the iPad 3 yet.

8) The Joy Factory SmartSuit 3 -- no reviews, no new iPad product yet.

9) Sena Florence -- no reviews yet. No reviews, no new iPad product yet.

Yes, I'm a little OCD.

MartyXB
Mar 18, 2012, 02:46 PM
Snugg iPad 3 Case

http://www.amazon.com/Snugg-iPad-Case-Generation-Interior/dp/B007BZOGLG/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332099847&sr=1-2

Elastic band to hold unit a big plus. Nice price too.

misc20
Mar 19, 2012, 12:34 AM
I also miss the original apple case.

This looks like a pretty good replica:

http://www.hardcandycases.com/candy-convertible-the-new-ipad-case.html

But I've never tried one so can't comment on quality.

DrunkSkunk
Mar 19, 2012, 11:59 AM
Try this one... Lifeworks (http://www.amazon.com/Lifeworks-Smart-Book-iPad2-Black/dp/B0056VLXP4/ref=pd_cp_e_3)? I am going to getting when I can get my hands on the iPad 3.

leep
Mar 20, 2012, 04:18 PM
This looks like a pretty good replica:

http://www.hardcandycases.com/candy-convertible-the-new-ipad-case.html

This looks like a decent replacement one, but I wonder if it would be clunky when using the camera. I know it has a hole for the lens, but when taking a photo how is the flip cover supposed to be handled? In some limbo state?

unobtainium
Mar 20, 2012, 11:03 PM
The Yoobao case seems to be what everyone suggests, but I've heard that its lower in quality than Apple's original case, and there isn't a third-gen version yet.

I find it odd that no case manufacturer is taking this opportunity to make an iPad 1-style case for the newer models. I agree that it was the best iPad case.