PDA

View Full Version : Targus Vuscape

glidewells
Mar 16, 2012, 12:29 PM
I went and purchased the Targus Vuscape this morning for the new iPad. Initially it is a nice feeling case, really about what I wanted.

Now the problems, the case packaging indicates that it has magnetic on/off, but it doesn't work, at all. After feeling around, there is a magnet in the lid, but it seems to be in the wrong place.

2nd problem....the camera cut out is off center, almost to the point where the case obstructs the picture.

These two shortcomings make me believe the following.....Targus has recycled there stock of the iPad 2 cases. Didn't the camera shift over slightly from the iPad 2 and hasn't it been reported that the magnets may have moved slightly from the iPad 2 to the new design?

The did add a stylus holder to the back, but that could have easily been added to the old case and there is now a cut out for the apple on the back, again easily added.

I think this is just a company that wanted to be one of the first ones to the market with a new iPad case and they took shortcuts to ensure they would be.

map1978
Mar 16, 2012, 12:53 PM
thanks for posting this

was gonna go to best buy (if fedex ever gets here :mad:) and check this one out and the slim case

looks like both cases won't work with the sleep/wake setting

what a disappointment

EDIT: someone said in the slim thread that the new ipad has the sleep/wake setting off by default

post back

zachy85
Mar 16, 2012, 12:57 PM
Just got back from Best Buy, and the Targus Slim case for the new iPad doesn't work with my new iPad...buyer beware! Will be returning it shortly.

glidewells
Mar 16, 2012, 01:01 PM
Made no difference, still not functioning correctly.

zachy85
Mar 16, 2012, 01:03 PM
I can't even find the setting under General anyway. Anyone else having that problem?

EDIT: So the setting only appears after you use a smart cover. Its activated by the magnets. Anyway, another thread suggested using a small refrigerator magnet in the upper right hand corner which activated the switch. Even with iPad Cover Lock/Unlock switched to "YES" the Targus slim case does not work for me.

davidjacobs21
Mar 16, 2012, 01:04 PM
yeah i bought the slim from best buy too and the sleep/awake feature does not work. really disappointing

zachy85
Mar 16, 2012, 01:10 PM
If you slide the slim case cover to the right (basically swiping the magnets from the case against the ones on the iPad) it works. This is not ideal though so I will probably be returning the case. For $50 it should work without me having to finess it open and shut every time!

glidewells
Mar 16, 2012, 01:14 PM
Went to the tarsus site and chatted with one of the Customer service reps, basically said they were just becoming aware of it and it would be noted.......

Does anyone have an iPad2 they can try out with there Targus case and see if it works correctly with it?

livspop
Mar 16, 2012, 02:15 PM
Went to the tarsus site and chatted with one of the Customer service reps, basically said they were just becoming aware of it and it would be noted.......

Does anyone have an iPad2 they can try out with there Targus case and see if it works correctly with it?

Sold my iPad 2 yesterday so I can't test, but I had the same problem at Best Buy with this case. I tried it before I left the parking lot, fortunately, and saw that it didn't work. I went back in and tried a couple more before I found one that did. But you really have to snap it closed to make it kick in. This seems like a big BOMB for Targus. I'm honestly shocked...

robd54
Mar 16, 2012, 03:45 PM
My wife and I had the vuscape for our iPad 2's and like them alot. So i went to Best Buy today to get the new one for the "new iPad". Like other have said, the camera slot does not align well. Doesn't look to impact the pictures, but I'll try it out a bit more before I decide. The magnet does seem to work though unlike others have said. I kept the sound on with the click and when I close it all the way I hear the sound of the screen shutting off.

HDJulie
Mar 18, 2012, 03:24 PM
I love the Targus cases so I got this yesterday when I picked up the new iPad. The magnets do not work for me either. I've emailed Targus about it hoping that they will offer to replace the case with a new one when they come out. If I don't hear from them by the end of the week, I'll just return the case. I'm bummed -- I love the deep groves & the place for the stylus.

mikee99
Mar 18, 2012, 04:04 PM
So Targus knows about this problem and said they would be addressing it shortly. They have said either return the case or you can wait until they fix it and contact them to get it worked out. I assume that means they will just send you the new one.

I am sad too, the Targus Versavu that can rotate is the best cover I have found. I loved it with the iPad 2 so I am going to wait a week or two and if they fix it I will buy it again.

Stone 13
Mar 18, 2012, 07:29 PM
maybe they sent out a new batch but I picked up the Vuscape at BB this afternoon and it's a decent fit. Camera hole lines up perfectly and the sleep magnet works just fine....

WillPwr
Mar 18, 2012, 10:19 PM
I guess I got lucky with the one that I bought from BB yesterday, it works flawlessly.

I have the previous version for the iPad 2 and I see plus and minus's to both versions....

overlyunderme
Mar 19, 2012, 12:32 AM
maybe they sent out a new batch but I picked up the Vuscape at BB this afternoon and it's a decent fit. Camera hole lines up perfectly and the sleep magnet works just fine....

Same here. Just bought mine yesterday at BB and it fits and works flawlessly.

ReallyBigFeet
Mar 19, 2012, 04:48 PM
I noticed two different "Vuscapes" at BB yesterday. The new one came in a yellow hang-box package, while the old one was a silver/white box. Same SKU's on both items. The old one was black with baby-blue micro-suede type of interior, while the new one is gray micro-suede type interior.

The new one fits the new iPad 3rd gen, the magnets worked fine and the fit was generally pretty good. The old one had an off-set camera opening, was a bit tight and the magnets didn't work.

WillPwr
Mar 19, 2012, 04:57 PM
I noticed two different "Vuscapes" at BB yesterday. The new one came in a yellow hang-box package, while the old one was a silver/white box. Same SKU's on both items. The old one was black with baby-blue micro-suede type of interior, while the new one is gray micro-suede type interior.

The new one fits the new iPad 3rd gen, the magnets worked fine and the fit was generally pretty good. The old one had an off-set camera opening, was a bit tight and the magnets didn't work.

I have 2 of the older ones for iPad 2s and they are great. They didnt state or offer sleep/wake in that version.

I do like the material of the previous version a bit better, but prefer the charcoal color of the new one....not a deal breaker or anything. Also the previous version was a complete back piece and doesnt have the circular view hole of the apple logo that the new one does.

N23
Mar 19, 2012, 07:19 PM
I received my charcoal Vuscape today from Amazon. Looks fantastic.
The sleep/wake functions just fine, and the camera cutout is spot on.

My only gripe is the stitching on the cover is already starting to come undone.
Doesn't look too bad yet but I'm sure it'll worsen as time goes on.

HDJulie
Mar 19, 2012, 07:22 PM

I kept thinking I had the Vuscape, but I have the Versavu. It's in the yellow box & the magnets do not work.

lugesm
Mar 22, 2012, 02:51 PM

Bought one for my wife's iPad-3 on 3/18/12 at BestBuy.
The camera lens is perfectly aligned, and the magnetic cutoff works properly. :cool:

Was gibt ?

EdMan
Mar 22, 2012, 03:23 PM
I purchased a VuScape for my iPad on 3/16 and it worked perfectly and fit perfectly. Out of all the horror stories we keep hearing about these new cases this one actually works as it's supposed to.

sojay
Mar 22, 2012, 05:09 PM
I got one at BB today. Tried it in store. It worked fine, but the camera seemed a little off, but since it didn't obscure the image, I bought it. The clasps were a little difficult at first to get the iPad in and out of, but since they are a very stiff leather, it became easier after a few tries. It stretches. So I tried to stretch the leather so the camera become dead on center. Worked fine. Love the case and it's 3 positions, the typing angle being by flipping the case around.

ImaVeggie
Mar 23, 2012, 11:52 AM
I got one today at Best Buy. The sleep/wake with the first two that I tried didn't work but did with the third. The camera hole is slightly off, but as said previously, doesn't hinder photo taking.

I definitely recommend physically trying the case out before buying.

davedvdy
Mar 23, 2012, 11:56 AM
Yeah, that is definitely odd. My Vuscape works prefectly with the sleep/wake feature everytime. This must mean it is hit or miss with the cases or case defects.

glen e
Mar 23, 2012, 12:10 PM
Yeah, that is definitely odd. My Vuscape works prefectly with the sleep/wake feature everytime. This must mean it is hit or miss with the cases or case defects.

here's why some work and some don't...in the same model!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1343536

sojay
Mar 25, 2012, 10:10 PM
The discussion that the previous post has a link to (about polarity and how swinging the cover around the back would make the switch work) didn't at first seem logic to me, since I have a vuscape where the switch seems to work BOTH directions! But then I realized it was because I had a stylus sitting in the stylus holder. The Jot pro stylus has a magnet in the tip, and if the tip is towards the top, it will activate the switch when folding back the cover. I found this very annoying till I realized all I had to do was to remember to position the tip down when placing it in the holder. Or not to have it in the holder while folding the cover back.

Btw, the jot pro is a great addition, but it's a little hard to squeeze into the holder at first. It gets easier. And I like that you can see exactly where the tip is, as opposed to guessing under a fat finger or thick stylus.

Also, I realized the typing position of the vuscape - where the inside of the cover faces down onto a table - is more stable with a stylus in the slot.

Tissie
Mar 26, 2012, 01:12 AM
This reviewer appears to be quite happy with the VuScape

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqRLKv5Z7QM

bobright
Mar 26, 2012, 01:20 AM
Not a fan of the circle on the back

MacAttacka
Mar 28, 2012, 10:57 AM
I went and purchased the Targus Vuscape this morning for the new iPad. Initially it is a nice feeling case, really about what I wanted.

Now the problems, the case packaging indicates that it has magnetic on/off, but it doesn't work, at all. After feeling around, there is a magnet in the lid, but it seems to be in the wrong place.

2nd problem....the camera cut out is off center, almost to the point where the case obstructs the picture.

These two shortcomings make me believe the following.....Targus has recycled there stock of the iPad 2 cases. Didn't the camera shift over slightly from the iPad 2 and hasn't it been reported that the magnets may have moved slightly from the iPad 2 to the new design?

The did add a stylus holder to the back, but that could have easily been added to the old case and there is now a cut out for the apple on the back, again easily added.

I think this is just a company that wanted to be one of the first ones to the market with a new iPad case and they took shortcuts to ensure they would be.

I just bought the viewscape yesterday and had been reading about these problems too. However mine clipped in perfectly and the sleep/wake function is fine. Im guessing they rushed out some early units that were flawed. The newer ones are almost perfect.

My only gripe is that stupid hole in the back showing the logo. Man, the weakest part of the back shell totally exposed. Im getting a carbon skin to remedy this problem.

The case is pure quality, highly reccomended.

nfl46
Apr 6, 2012, 03:02 AM
I got one from Best Buy tonight. It works great. Everything fits and it turns my iPad off and on like its suppose to. They had the iPad 2 and iPad 3 version. It looks professional, offers protection and is quality. I highly recommend as well. Plus $39.99 isn't a bad price.

martiansoldier
Jun 7, 2012, 10:51 AM
I have a Targus Vuscape for my new iPad and the sleep/wake work just fine. However, the "click" only sounds when I close the cover and not when I open cover. I checked this by using the 'Slide to Unlock' feature and the power button to lock and both times the "click" sound worked fine.

Can someone please confirm if the "click" is supposed to sound when you open and close the Vuscape cover?

HiddenPuppy
Jun 7, 2012, 07:54 PM
I have a Targus Vuscape for my new iPad and the sleep/wake work just fine. However, the "click" only sounds when I close the cover and not when I open cover. I checked this by using the 'Slide to Unlock' feature and the power button to lock and both times the "click" sound worked fine.

Can someone please confirm if the "click" is supposed to sound when you open and close the Vuscape cover?

I don't think it makes the click sound on opening. Mine does not either.

HiddenPuppy

HiddenPuppy
Jun 8, 2012, 05:05 AM

After working with it I realize that mine does not make the click when it "awakes" as I have a passcode on it and it is locked. As soon as I put the passcode in it unlocks and makes the click. But closing the case does make the click because it is not locked at that point. If I lock it before closing of course it does not make the click when closed.

I took the passcode off and when I open it does not make the click but does when closed.

Have a nice day,
HiddenPuppy

HiddenPuppy
Jun 8, 2012, 10:02 AM
Trying to decide if I really like this. Not sure I like the snapping out the bottom 2 clips to prop it up.

HiddenPuppy

martiansoldier
Jun 8, 2012, 11:05 AM
After working with it I realize that mine does not make the click when it "awakes" as I have a passcode on it and it is locked. As soon as I put the passcode in it unlocks and makes the click. But closing the case does make the click because it is not locked at that point. If I lock it before closing of course it does not make the click when closed.

I took the passcode off and when I open it does not make the click but does when closed.

Have a nice day,
HiddenPuppy

Thanks for checking. I do not have a password lock on mine, yet it only sounds the "click" when it locks with the Vuscape case.