Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mykweb

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Edinburgh
Aternoon

I think I know the answer to this but I want to double check.

I have a Macbook a1181, when I am using the mac on battery sometimes the system goes into standby. I press the power button and the system comes back on for a few seconds then goes off again.

If I plug in the charger and press the power button its ok untill I switch the system off.

I think the issue is the battery needs replaced, but wanted to check before i get a new one

Mike

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
Aternoon

I have a Macbook a1181, when I am using the mac on battery sometimes the system goes into standby. I press the power button and the system comes back on for a few seconds then goes off again.

If I plug in the charger and press the power button its ok untill I switch the system off.

I think the issue is the battery needs replaced, but wanted to check before i get a new one

Mike

Yes it is definetly a problem with the battery. a replacement battery will do the trick.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Aternoon

Mike
Use iStat Pro to get accurate readings of your battery condition. Also try resetting the SMC.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

mykweb

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Edinburgh
Cheers

I thought this was the case. My battery has done 600 cycles.

I work in IT and get this a lot but I have in the last 2 years been working more with macs and figured it was the battery but wanted to make sure before I purchase a new one and fins out I wasted £££

Mike

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Cheers

I thought this was the case. My battery has done 600 cycles.

I work in IT and get this a lot but I have in the last 2 years been working more with macs and figured it was the battery but wanted to make sure before I purchase a new one and fins out I wasted £££

Mike
If properly cared for, your battery should be fine for over 1000 cycles. Read my other post.

subdeacon

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
I have a Macbook A1181 with the same problem

I have the same problem. I tried resetting the SMC (I think that's what they call it) and it helped. It lasted for a day or so. Now it even goes into sleep/standby even at the log in page. Do you think a new battery will solve my problem also? Do you know who sells reliable and affordable batteries?

Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Do you know who sells reliable and affordable batteries?
I recommend you only buy batteries from Apple. I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

Battery Replacement
Replacing the built-in battery in your MacBook Pro
Replacing the Battery in your MacBook Air
Intel-based Apple Portables: How to replace or service a built-in battery

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.