PDA

View Full Version : Chinao Wheat for new iPad - Any Updates?

Stangs55
Mar 16, 2012, 04:56 PM
While the new iPad fits like a glove into the Chinao Wheat...alas, the sleep/wake function does not work.

Any word out there on when we'll see a version for the new iPad?

EDIT: I've received the redesigned Chinao Wheat and posted my thoughts here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14693801#post14693801

Smithwicks
Mar 17, 2012, 01:09 PM
Nice looking case. Hopefully we hear something soon.

neweipadfan
Mar 18, 2012, 05:47 AM
i have the wheat for the ipad2 and the sleep wake function works on mine, i just tried it i guess my magnet is flipped the right way, its a darn tight fit with the new iPad

sfi6180
Mar 18, 2012, 01:50 PM
There is a new version of the Wheat for the new iPad. I'm new to the forums, but it sounds like I can't link to it. Has anybody ordered it and tried it out?

Stangs55
Mar 18, 2012, 02:00 PM
There is a new version of the Wheat for the new iPad. I'm new to the forums, but it sounds like I can't link to it. Has anybody ordered it and tried it out?

I searched eBay and couldn't find it...

sfi6180
Mar 18, 2012, 02:10 PM
I searched eBay and couldn't find it...

Google "chinao ipad 2" and scroll down to the first result after the videos. There's a section on that site for the new iPad, which includes the Wheat.

Smithwicks
Mar 18, 2012, 02:38 PM
Google "chinao ipad 2" and scroll down to the first result after the videos. There's a section on that site for the new iPad, which includes the Wheat.

Ordered one. I'll let you know what I think of it when it arrives.

Stangs55
Mar 18, 2012, 03:15 PM
Ordered one. I'll let you know what I think of it when it arrives.

How did you order one? It's showing out of stock for me...

Smithwicks
Mar 18, 2012, 03:26 PM
How did you order one? It's showing out of stock for me...

They only had a couple in stock

laurenr
Mar 18, 2012, 03:45 PM
I had this case for my iPad 2 and totally loved it. The quality for the price is really fantastic. I also like how it covers the minimum amount of bezel. I am sorry now that I gave it away when I parted with my device.

Edit: for anyone interested, this is a link to pics of my case from last year; it gives some idea of what ot looks like "in real-life":
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=292900&d=1310147815

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=292901&d=1310147815

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=292902&d=1310147815

Smithwicks
Mar 21, 2012, 07:14 PM
I received the case today. I really like the form factor, but the magnets don't work well at all. Sometimes it'll wake/sleep, and sometimes it won't depending on pressure applied. Depending on how you hold the case, it will also turn the iPad on unexpectedly. Unfortunately I will probably end up returning it.

iMule
Mar 21, 2012, 07:53 PM
I want this case so bad!

neweipadfan
Mar 21, 2012, 08:25 PM
I received the case today. I really like the form factor, but the magnets don't work well at all. Sometimes it'll wake/sleep, and sometimes it won't depending on pressure applied. Depending on how you hold the case, it will also turn the iPad on unexpectedly. Unfortunately I will probably end up returning it.

I had that case with my iPad 2 I found that it got better after the binding broke in, that is a stiff leather. Waiting on the new one coming out first week of April according to the listing and a new design with magnetic closure? Need another case love this zagg folio but it's not an everyday case

laurenr
Mar 21, 2012, 08:48 PM

Did you get the case for the iPad 3? The reason that I ask, is that when I made enquiries, I was told that the newer version has a different design. It would be easy to differentiate from the older case. The new one does not have the half-moon cutout in the back (through which you can see the iPad). The latest version, instead, will have a leather flap that the cover tucks into, with the entire back being enclosed, ie. no cutout. This would resemble the structure of the original Apple Ipad 1 case.

I had that case with my iPad 2 I found that it got better after the binding broke in, that is a stiff leather. Waiting on the new one coming out first week of April according to the listing and a new design with magnetic closure? Need another case love this zagg folio but it's not an everyday case

That is the case described above. I actually have their new folio, which I am about to post pics of in another thread. It's a completely different design form, not what is described above. Will post link later.

Edit:
Link for the executive folio, which I need for all the travelling I do. I might even use it when taking the iPad around town with me, especially after my Husband dropped his iPad on the sidewalk a few weeks ago, and shattered his screen.:eek: (Needless to say, this did not bode well for resale value in prep for his new iPad!)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14584459#post14584459

neweipadfan
Mar 21, 2012, 11:35 PM
Did you get the case for the iPad 3? The reason that I ask, is that when I made enquiries, I was told that the newer version has a different design. It would be easy to differentiate from the older case. The new one does not have the half-moon cutout in the back (through which you can see the iPad). The latest version, instead, will have a leather flap that the cover tucks into, with the entire back being enclosed, ie. no cutout. This would resemble the structure of the original Apple Ipad 1 case.

That is the case described above. I actually have their new folio, which I am about to post pics of in another thread. It's a completely different design form, not what is described above. Will post link later.

Edit:
Link for the executive folio, which I need for all the travelling I do. I might even use it when taking the iPad around town with me, especially after my Husband dropped his iPad on the sidewalk a few weeks ago, and shattered his screen.:eek: (Needless to say, this did not bode well for resale value in prep for his new iPad!)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14584459#post14584459

The regular wheat case is being redesigned to include magnetic closure and a different back flap according to the listing and kev like the new iPad crocodile cases coming in April

laurenr
Mar 22, 2012, 12:59 AM
The regular wheat case is being redesigned to include magnetic closure and a different back flap according to the listing and kev like the new iPad crocodile cases coming in April

You're right; i forgot about that, because the magnets are actually working already with my prior generation wheat case - (lucky coincidence with the polarity issue I've seen described.) The back flap is as I decribed above - no cutout this time, but more like the original Apple case, (rear design - with the leather flap, under which front cover tucks for typing/upright landscape viewing position.)

neweipadfan
Mar 22, 2012, 08:33 PM
You're right; i forgot about that, because the magnets are actually working already with my prior generation wheat case - (lucky coincidence with the polarity issue I've seen described.) The back flap is as I decribed above - no cutout this time, but more like the original Apple case, (rear design - with the leather flap, under which front cover tucks for typing/upright landscape viewing position.)

Yup like the Chinao Crocodile leather case for the New iPad back flap thats posted on his site

skh41
Apr 5, 2012, 09:26 AM
I can't tell......is the bezel piece and inside cover of the Chinao Wheat Black or Brown?
One more question..... Is the price difference worth it from the Yoobao Evecutive case to the Chinao Wheat case? I keep looking at both. I have to say the Chinao Wheat looks a little nicer, but haven't seen either in person. Are there ever any discounts on these cases?
Thank you all!

Stangs55
Apr 5, 2012, 09:52 AM
There is a completely new version of the Chinao Wheat that's coming out. It's somewhat different in design from what people have already received, which were just iPad 2 cases that happened to have properly aligned magnets. I got my shipping notification for the new case yesterday, so I hope to have it by Saturday. I'll update with plenty of pics when it arrives.

moptart
Apr 7, 2012, 03:19 PM
I like the weight (lack of weight) + simplicity of the original ipad apple case!

The magnet works well, however, it is not strong enough to keep the case shut in the event of a fall, however, the wrap around on the bezel should keep it safe and sound.

Great customer service by *******!

neweipadfan
Apr 7, 2012, 05:33 PM
[/ATTACH]I like the weight (lack of weight) + simplicity of the original ipad apple case!

The magnet works well, however, it is not strong enough to keep the case shut in the event of a fall, however, the wrap around on the bezel should keep it safe and sound.

Great customer service by *******!

I recieved my black Chinao croc case today and also noticed that the magnetic closure wasnt there. I sent hima an email and he replied stating that he didnt notice it since he was in a rush to get all the back orders out yesterday. He contacted the manufacturer and apparently they failed to implment it on the cases. He offered a small refund however i felt the free screen protector was enough. Yes great customer service and a very personal store to deal with. Always a great experience

greg555
Apr 7, 2012, 09:00 PM
On the wheat: the bezel material is some type of cloth, correct? Is it strong or will it be the first point to fail?

moptart
Apr 7, 2012, 09:05 PM
On the wheat: the bezel material is some type of cloth, correct? Is it strong or will it be the first point to fail?

It's a thick felt material that I cannot imagine fraying or ripping.

greg555
Apr 7, 2012, 09:37 PM
Thanks.

mrgossett
Apr 8, 2012, 12:45 PM
It did tear on my Wheat case for the iPad2. There's a metal strip inside that felt border, and after it tore, I was afraid to keep the iPad in the case because it might get scratched.

greg555
Apr 9, 2012, 12:36 AM
It did tear on my Wheat case for the iPad2. There's a metal strip inside that felt border, and after it tore, I was afraid to keep the iPad in the case because it might get scratched.

That's a little scary. is there any warranty that you could have used to get it repaired or replaced?

stevekw
Apr 9, 2012, 02:33 PM
Im getting my Wheat Case today, I will let everyone know tonight or tomorrow how to fits and/or works.

flatline82
Apr 9, 2012, 05:07 PM
Oh man... I got mine in today. This is what the first version of this case should have been for the iPad 2.. :cool:

Hopefully will video review it in a day or two... :apple:

Stangs55
Apr 9, 2012, 08:22 PM
Just posted some pics and thoughts on the new Chinao Wheat here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14693801#post14693801

bobright
Apr 10, 2012, 04:25 PM
Oh man... I got mine in today. This is what the first version of this case should have been for the iPad 2.. :cool:

Hopefully will video review it in a day or two... :apple:

I'd be interested in a video review :p