PDA

View Full Version : AVOID matte screen protectors!!!

striker33
Mar 16, 2012, 05:15 PM
UPDATE: Just a quick update guys. It turns out Mediadevil have a new updated screen protector, that reduces the pixellation/noise effect quite significantly, and is much improved over the original.

Callum, the founder of Mediadevil, got in contact with me after seeing my problem, and kindly offered me the new updated version of the protector as a replacement, free of charge.

Anyone who bought a matte clear screen protector for iPad from Mediadevil in March 2012, simply send off an email to support@phonedevil.com remembering to include your order ID, and they will happily upgrade you to the new material

Really is an awesome company to deal with, fantastic customer service, and the new protector works a treat

ljones
Mar 16, 2012, 05:57 PM
Just put a MediaDevil anti glare protectors on my iPad 3, and it pretty much halves the screen clarity on the new display. There's no wonder they worked so well for the previous low res gen.

Unless you can get one of the fancy glass protectors then go for it, otherwise I'd steal well clear of protectors all together for the sake of the retina display.

I have a Power Support anti-glare on my 1st gen and I figured there would be a loss of clarity. You can see the matte grain, but I may try it. The reflection at times is annoying as hell.

donnaw
Mar 16, 2012, 06:04 PM
I just put my Power Support antiglare on my new iPad. To be honest I can't tell. I guess I would need to put mine beside another new iPad. I know on the IPad 2 it made no difference (compared directly beside my husband's 'naked' iPad 2).

But for the new one I don't know. My screen still looks amazing and the text is plenty clear. For now, I'm keeping the antiglare on. I prefer the antiglare and anti-fingerprint properties.

YMMV

ljones
Mar 16, 2012, 06:13 PM
I just put my Power Support antiglare on my new iPad. To be honest I can't tell. I guess I would need to put mine beside another new iPad. I know on the IPad 2 it made no difference (compared directly beside my husband's 'naked' iPad 2).

But for the new one I don't know. My screen still looks amazing and the text is plenty clear. For now, I'm keeping the antiglare on. I prefer the antiglare and anti-fingerprint properties.

YMMV

Good to know. Thanks.

LostAggie
Mar 16, 2012, 06:36 PM
I put my SGP on and yes it affects the screen clarity but no more than on previous devices...

LostAggie
Mar 16, 2012, 06:36 PM
I should have clarified above... I am using Ultra Fine...

ZipZap
Mar 16, 2012, 07:44 PM
I should have clarified above... I am using Ultra Fine...

I think the AGP Ultrafine is the best AG/fingerprint out there. Certainly has the most minimal loss of clarity of the many I have tested (including the powersupport).

iToNe24
Mar 16, 2012, 07:56 PM
thanks for the suggestion .. i am looking for a screen protector that will protect and also not effect screen so much ...

does this have gorilla glass ... do we even need screen protectors ...?

protobiont
Mar 16, 2012, 09:04 PM
Agreed. I used a Moshi anti glare and it kills the beauty of this screen. Any suggestions, or have people had good success with out protectors?

mcdj
Mar 16, 2012, 11:49 PM
thanks for the suggestion .. i am looking for a screen protector that will protect and also not effect screen so much ...

does this have gorilla glass ... do we even need screen protectors ...?

I would venture a guess that the majority of people buying screen protectors for an iPad are doing it to cut down on glare and fingerprints first and foremost.

donnaw
Mar 17, 2012, 12:01 AM
I would venture a guess that the majority of people buying screen protectors for an iPad are doing it to cut down on glare and fingerprints first and foremost.

This.

If my PS antiglare does cut the display a bit (and as I posted above I'm not sure it does), what good is the display if it glares so much or I'm constantly wiping off fingerprints?

I guess everyone has their own obsessions.

LostAggie
Mar 17, 2012, 01:03 AM
I don't think I could take this screen if I didn't put an anti glare protector on it. I had to do it on my Mac Book Air also... My wife's MacBook Pro luckily had the option for anti glare...

maxtheswift
Mar 17, 2012, 01:22 AM
SGP's Steinheil is still by far my favorite screen protector. Been using them on my iPhones/iPads for years and couldn't recommend them more. They're releasing their iPad version of the Ultra Optics screen protector which is a matte finish yet doesn't detract from the retina display. I have one on my iPhone right now and I love it. Look for some reviews of the iPhone Ultra Optics to get an idea. I pre-ordered an Ultra Optics for my new iPad.

http://www.spigen.com/tablets/apple/the-new-ipad/spigen-sgp-ipad-4-4g-lte-wifi-screen-protector-steinheil-series.html

oli356
Mar 17, 2012, 02:43 AM
i presume this was a easy screen one? You could buy a crystal clear one. I have two of these, I failed on installation though of the first one yesterday.

Chupa Chupa
Mar 17, 2012, 05:39 AM
First thing I did was slap a matte screen protector on as I did w/ my Orig. and iPad 2. I thought the grain was a worthwhile tradeoff on those two but I was really disappointed when I put it on the 3rd gen. It really does seem to as much a distraction as glare itself is. So I very torn whether to rip it off or not. I think I'm going to go to the Apple Store today and play with naked one for comparison.

donnaw
Mar 17, 2012, 09:46 AM
SGP's Steinheil is still by far my favorite screen protector. Been using them on my iPhones/iPads for years and couldn't recommend them more. They're releasing their iPad version of the Ultra Optics screen protector which is a matte finish yet doesn't detract from the retina display. I have one on my iPhone right now and I love it. Look for some reviews of the iPhone Ultra Optics to get an idea. I pre-ordered an Ultra Optics for my new iPad.

http://www.spigen.com/tablets/apple/the-new-ipad/spigen-sgp-ipad-4-4g-lte-wifi-screen-protector-steinheil-series.html

Please post back when you get it and use it. I'm curious about how well it works. I just can't use my iPad without the antiglare or anti-fingerprint properties.

Thx

xraytech
Mar 17, 2012, 10:50 AM
Just installed Power Support HD Anti-Glare

Screen still looks AWESOME!!!

AND

Less Glare & Less Prints

rdiz17
Mar 17, 2012, 11:04 AM
I'm using a cheapo matte iPad 1 screen protector right now, it definitely takes away from the display. The screen protectors I ordered (clear) should be here later.

OnYourKnees
Mar 17, 2012, 11:07 AM
There are few screen covers that will not hinder the quality. I prefer mine without one.

bkushner
Mar 17, 2012, 11:23 AM
screen protectors ruin the experience.

maxtheswift
Mar 17, 2012, 11:36 AM
Please post back when you get it and use it. I'm curious about how well it works. I just can't use my iPad without the antiglare or anti-fingerprint properties.

Thx

Will do! It will probably be the end of the month though.

donnaw
Mar 17, 2012, 11:48 AM
Will do! It will probably be the end of the month though.

That's ok, just quote my post and I'll get the notification. Of pm me if you like. But others may be interested too.

Thanks

TomH TX
Mar 17, 2012, 01:05 PM
i got the newest otterbox defender for the new ipad. I HATE the sreen protector. even worse, the screen protector is now glued to the front cover, so I can not replace it with something else. I ill be calling otterbox on monday.

ValentinoV
Mar 17, 2012, 05:07 PM
2 quick questions:

1. whats the difference betwen SGP SQ and PowerSupport Crystalclear?

2. are either of the two reusable?

xraytech
Mar 17, 2012, 05:37 PM
2 quick questions:

1. whats the difference betwen SGP SQ and PowerSupport Crystalclear?

2. are either of the two reusable?

1. Two different brands

2. Yes

gigemzach
Mar 17, 2012, 06:00 PM
i got the newest otterbox defender for the new ipad. I HATE the sreen protector. even worse, the screen protector is now glued to the front cover, so I can not replace it with something else. I ill be calling otterbox on monday.

You can just pop it out. That's what I did with the defenders on our iPhone 4S. Then I just put a power support screen shield underneath it.

cinca
Mar 18, 2012, 01:42 AM
I was glad to come up on this thread because this is something I've been struggling with myself.

I installed and enjoyed an antiglare screen protector on my iPad 2 for the past few months. I was (and am) quite nervous about putting one on my new iPad due to its high-resolution retina display but I have grown accustomed to how much I enjoy the reduction in glare and fingerprints that I experienced when using my iPad 2 with an anti-glare protector.

Has anyone purchased and installed an antiglare screen protector and compared their new iPad with a naked new iPad to see exactly how much a difference in resolution it makes.

I know when I installed my antiglare screen protector on my iPad 2 I initially thought it made very little difference and it wasn't until I had a chance to compare my iPad 2 with the anti-glare screen protector to my friends iPad 2 with no screen protector that I noticed of fairly substantial decrease in screen clarity.

Again -- I felt the the trade off was totally worth it but it wasn't until I had the chance to compare my antiglare iPad 2 directly next to his to his iPad 2 with no screen protector that I noticed the difference..

Anyone installed an iPad three antiglare screen protector and had a chance to do a side-by-side comparison yet?

matrix808
Mar 18, 2012, 05:23 AM
If it is anything like the iPhone 4 then yes you'll be able to tell the difference with the Anti glare screen shield over the hd screen. Having the anti glare on my iPhone 4 made the screen look exactly like a 3G screen.

I was glad to come up on this thread because this is something I've been struggling with myself.

I installed and enjoyed an antiglare screen protector on my iPad 2 for the past few months. I was (and am) quite nervous about putting one on my new iPad due to its high-resolution retina display but I have grown accustomed to how much I enjoy the reduction in glare and fingerprints that I experienced when using my iPad 2 with an anti-glare protector.

Has anyone purchased and installed an antiglare screen protector and compared their new iPad with a naked new iPad to see exactly how much a difference in resolution it makes.

I know when I installed my antiglare screen protector on my iPad 2 I initially thought it made very little difference and it wasn't until I had a chance to compare my iPad 2 with the anti-glare screen protector to my friends iPad 2 with no screen protector that I noticed of fairly substantial decrease in screen clarity.

Again -- I felt the the trade off was totally worth it but it wasn't until I had the chance to compare my antiglare iPad 2 directly next to his to his iPad 2 with no screen protector that I noticed the difference..

Anyone installed an iPad three antiglare screen protector and had a chance to do a side-by-side comparison yet?

striker33
Mar 18, 2012, 06:39 AM

It made my 80 ZTE Blade smartphone look like it had a better screen.

Basically, I found it unbearable the second I put it on. It literally felt like the resolution had been reverted back to the iPad 1/2.

Like the poster above, I found the same thing happened on the iPhone 4, but I found that to be a bit more bearable due to the small screen. On the new iPad though, it just looks atrocious.

Due to the nature of the screen, I'd say naked + smart cover is the best option screen protection wise. But then again, if you desperately need the anti glare properties, there isnt really an option.

potumino
Mar 18, 2012, 07:17 AM
Yep definitely avoid matte or anti glare screen protector. It made my new iPad looking like my iPad 2 :o

cinca
Mar 18, 2012, 01:11 PM
I did suspect that a matte screen protector would severely reduce the clarity of the new iPads ultrahigh resolution super crisp retina screen... I guess it was just wishful thinking that had me hoping to find comments and experience otherwise. I guess I will just need to get used to the glare that reflects back to me off my new iPad screen.

sekazi
Mar 18, 2012, 01:31 PM
I did suspect that a matte screen protector would severely reduce the clarity of the new iPads ultrahigh resolution super crisp retina screen... I guess it was just wishful thinking that had me hoping to find comments and experience otherwise. I guess I will just need to get used to the glare that reflects back to me off my new iPad screen.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii163/sekazi/DSC03555t.jpg

1024x768 wallpaper on iPad 3 2048x1536 display using a Switcheasy PureAnti-Reflect

My thread about it is at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1343229

keigo
Mar 18, 2012, 05:57 PM
not sure for some, but i reuse the power support HD matte from my ipad2 and put on the new iPad....

end up don't like it as it make the screen grainy, thus don't like it and remove it and put back to my ipad2.

brooklyn360
Mar 18, 2012, 06:15 PM
So for those who do not want anti glare but want screen protection. Will the invisible shield be good enough. I had it on my ipad 1, it was great, saved the screen from many scratches.

coolbreeze
Mar 18, 2012, 07:53 PM
So for those who do not want anti glare but want screen protection. Will the invisible shield be good enough. I had it on my ipad 1, it was great, saved the screen from many scratches.

I cannot imagine putting an orange-peel film on the new iPad screen. It would completely ruin it, IMO.

lindend
Mar 20, 2012, 02:14 PM
I cannot imagine putting an orange-peel film on the new iPad screen. It would completely ruin it, IMO.

Supposedly the Invisible Shield HD doesn't have the orange peel issue, feels like glass and doesn't impact (or not perceivable anyway) image quality. Anyone tried the Invisible Shield HD on the iPad 3 yet?

Youtube reviews on Retina iPhone 4's seem to support the marketing claims but I've not seen any comments from someone who installed on the iPad 3.

LostAggie
Mar 20, 2012, 04:54 PM
Supposedly the Invisible Shield HD doesn't have the orange peel issue, feels like glass and doesn't impact (or not perceivable anyway) image quality. Anyone tried the Invisible Shield HD on the iPad 3 yet?

Youtube reviews on Retina iPhone 4's seem to support the marketing claims but I've not seen any comments from someone who installed on the iPad 3.

I am also very interested in the invisible shield HD. Looking forward to hearing more about it...

lovespicyfood
Mar 20, 2012, 05:31 PM
watching this thread with interest... I never had a screen protector with my Ipad2 and it survived just fine. However, with a young daughter, I sometimes cringe at the thought... :)

Would love to hear more feedback!

Nhwhazup
Mar 20, 2012, 06:44 PM
Power Support Crystal all the way. It is clear with no reduction of clarity and no difference in feeling. I couldn't put a matte anti-glare on any product. Tried it in the past but cannot deal with the reduction in clarity.

maxtheswift
Mar 25, 2012, 04:54 PM
That's ok, just quote my post and I'll get the notification. Of pm me if you like. But others may be interested too.

Thanks

Okay I just installed my SGP Ultra Optics and these are just first impressions because I just got it, but overall I think it's a great screen protector, it gives you a nice anti-fingerprint finish that barely interferes with the Retina quality.

That being said, I don't like it as much as the Ultra Optics on my phone, there is something about the way in which it is made that makes it so there are very faint, but noticeable lines across the whole screen. It doesn't visually mess anything up, but it does make it look like there is just a very faint grid of diagonal stripes across the entire screen. It's hard to explain without seeing it, but I can't even get a picture because they're so faint.

I guess it's just a different way of making an anti fingerprint screen and that's what gives it better clarity. So my overall impressions? I think any Anti-fingerprint that diminishes the quality of the retina display is just horrid, why buy this gorgeous device to cover it up with a blurry screen protector? The SGP Ultra Optics gives you the best of both worlds, anti fingerprint but still retains the quality of the Retina display. That being said, the diagonal lines could be distracting for some.

I'll be able to say more once I've used it for a couple days, these are just my initial impressions, but as of now I think I'll keep it, and would recommend it.

OTACORB
Mar 25, 2012, 06:27 PM
Well I didn't upgrade to an iPad 3rd gen only to use one of these anti-glare screen protectors that will reduce the clarity. It just makes no sense in my mind to even do this. I do have a crystal clear screen protector that helps with the finger prints, but doesn't reduce the clarity at all. I don't know where people are using these things that glare is such an issue. Heck I use mine in my car a lot with bright sun and have no glare issues.

Macmar88
Mar 25, 2012, 09:00 PM
I've had Moshi's iVisor AG installed on my New iPad since the first day. It's great I still get the clarity and crisp resolution, but don't have to worry about ugly fingerprints. It really up to the users I guess.

donnaw
Mar 26, 2012, 12:07 AM
Okay I just installed my SGP Ultra Optics and these are just first impressions because I just got it, but overall I think it's a great screen protector, it gives you a nice anti-fingerprint finish that barely interferes with the Retina quality.

That being said, I don't like it as much as the Ultra Optics on my phone, there is something about the way in which it is made that makes it so there are very faint, but noticeable lines across the whole screen. It doesn't visually mess anything up, but it does make it look like there is just a very faint grid of diagonal stripes across the entire screen. It's hard to explain without seeing it, but I can't even get a picture because they're so faint.

I guess it's just a different way of making an anti fingerprint screen and that's what gives it better clarity. So my overall impressions? I think any Anti-fingerprint that diminishes the quality of the retina display is just horrid, why buy this gorgeous device to cover it up with a blurry screen protector? The SGP Ultra Optics gives you the best of both worlds, anti fingerprint but still retains the quality of the Retina display. That being said, the diagonal lines could be distracting for some.

I'll be able to say more once I've used it for a couple days, these are just my initial impressions, but as of now I think I'll keep it, and would recommend it.

Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted as to whether the lines bother you. How does it do with the glare? Anything at all?

----------

Well I didn't upgrade to an iPad 3rd gen only to use one of these anti-glare screen protectors that will reduce the clarity. It just makes no sense in my mind to even do this. I do have a crystal clear screen protector that helps with the finger prints, but doesn't reduce the clarity at all. I don't know where people are using these things that glare is such an issue. Heck I use mine in my car a lot with bright sun and have no glare issues.

For me, I use mine on the patio all the time. Plus for some reason the way my living room is set up and the positioning of my lightning I get a lot of glare just sitting on my sofa. As far as I'm concerned I prefer giving up a bit of clarity for the convience of not twisting and turning and changing my sitting position to avoid the glare. I suppose it just doesn't bother some folks and some of us, it does. Everyone has their own priorities and no one person has the same needs as another. I'm glad we all have a choice and can find solutions that meet our own personal needs.

dmccloud
Mar 28, 2012, 03:50 AM

I have the Invisible Shield HD on both my iPhone 4S and new iPad, and you can't even tell it's there. The other versions of the Invisible Shield are glaringly obvious, as they make the screens of these devices look pixellated. Here's a photo of my new iPad with the Invisible Shield HD installed.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7262/7023370639_373c3cd975.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmccloud/7023370639/)
IMG_1757 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmccloud/7023370639/) by tntoak (http://www.flickr.com/people/dmccloud/), on Flickr

striker33
Mar 29, 2012, 04:47 AM
Just a quick update guys. It turns out Mediadevil have a new updated screen protector, that reduces the pixellation/noise effect quite significantly, and is much improved over the original.

Callum, the founder of Mediadevil, got in contact with me after seeing my problem, and kindly offered me the new updated version of the protector as a replacement, free of charge.

Anyone who bought a matte clear screen protector for iPad from Mediadevil in March 2012, simply send off an email to support@phonedevil.com remembering to include your order ID, and they will happily upgrade you to the new material :)

Really is an awesome company to deal with, fantastic customer service, and the new protector works a treat :D

Nipples
Mar 29, 2012, 05:16 AM

I am using sgp screen protectors since my ipad 1. First i started with the cristal clear. Now i am using the ultra optics on my iphone 4 and the anti fingerprint on my ipad 2. I prefer the anti fingerprint and i am going to install it on my new ipad too.

Just my few thoughts

stonemann
Apr 21, 2012, 08:14 PM
Just a quick update guys. It turns out Mediadevil have a new updated screen protector, that reduces the pixellation/noise effect quite significantly, and is much improved over the original.

Anyone who bought a matte clear screen protector for iPad from Mediadevil in March 2012, simply send off an email to support@phonedevil.com remembering to include your order ID, and they will happily upgrade you to the new material :)

Really is an awesome company to deal with, fantastic customer service, and the new protector works a treat :D

Sorry, which is the updated Mediadevil protector you are referring to? Are you saying there is an anti-glare Easyscreen protector for the iPad 3 that does not significantly detract from the retina display - because that is what several people on Amazon are complaining about? Have they brought out a new product? Can you give specific details? Thanks.

takeshi74
Apr 23, 2012, 10:22 AM
AVOID matte screen protectors!!!
Better yet, avoid broad, sweeping generalizations like this and use what works for you. I'm very happy with my SGP UF.

stabbyt
Apr 24, 2012, 01:18 PM
Sorry, which is the updated Mediadevil protector you are referring to? Are you saying there is an anti-glare Easyscreen protector for the iPad 3 that does not significantly detract from the retina display - because that is what several people on Amazon are complaining about? Have they brought out a new product? Can you give specific details? Thanks.

I think it's their MediaDevil Magicscreen Matte Clear edition for iPad 2/3 one (the 'normal' protector) that has the new material.

ivada
Apr 24, 2012, 01:31 PM
I do not get putting screen protectors on an iPad. Am I missing out on anything here?

stonemann
Apr 24, 2012, 07:30 PM
I think it's their MediaDevil Magicscreen Matte Clear edition for iPad 2/3 one (the 'normal' protector) that has the new material.

Many thanks for the reply, stabbyt. I'll check it out.

Xultar
Apr 25, 2012, 03:41 PM
I do not get putting screen protectors on an iPad. Am I missing out on anything here?

Glare doesn't bother you?

ivada
Apr 25, 2012, 06:30 PM
Glare doesn't bother you?

Yes it does. But a screen protector is kind of permanent (cannot remove at will), and I use my iPad indoors far more often than outside. And more often than not I'm reading a book on my Kindle when I am outside.

axlvtt
Apr 25, 2012, 08:53 PM
I use the PS crystal screen protector on my iPad and here's why: You'll have a tough time scratching the gorilla glass, but the oleo coating that's on the screen can scratch pretty easily. They will not be visible if the screen is turned on or unless you shine a light on the screen, but the oleo coating does scratch. For many people this isn't such a big deal at all. But for those like me who intend to sell the device when the next iPad comes along, having a perfect screen helps the resell value.

stabbyt
Apr 26, 2012, 11:32 AM
Yes it does. But a screen protector is kind of permanent (cannot remove at will), and I use my iPad indoors far more often than outside. And more often than not I'm reading a book on my Kindle when I am outside.

It depends on your use really -- I prefer the Matte inside my house but that's purely because the lighting inside is horrid and tends to throw too much glare on the screen (more of a mirror then a screen).

Also, the oleophobic coating does scratch slightly and I tend to through my devices around quite a lot so a screen protector does help. Matte has an advantage of reducing fingerprints, meaning I can use my iPad without having fingerprints ruining it!

maniacphoner
Apr 26, 2012, 01:48 PM
Screen protectors are something I need for my iDevices. I have used a series of Steinheil films for my iPhone, and I have liked the Ultra Optics. I have been using Sgp's latest tempered glass protector and it's been my favorite! Kind of pricey but I would have to admit it's worth it. Waiting for the PRE-ORDER for the Glas.t for my new iPad.

Abazigal
Apr 28, 2012, 06:14 PM
I just ripped my screen protector off, and wow, it is like I just came out of an eye operation! :eek:

Interestingly enough though, my screen still feels a lot smoother than I last remember. Might it be due to the remnants of the adhesive used on the protector? :p

canhaz
Sep 16, 2012, 04:21 AM

Did you ever upgrade the screen Mediadevil protector? If so how is the graininess now?