PDA

View Full Version : Animated GIFS can we disable them?

gquiring
Mar 16, 2012, 05:59 PM
I am reading through a few threads where a user has a bunch of posts. I am getting dizzy watching his animated GIF. It is very distracting. Is there a user option that could be added to let us not view animated GIFs? I don't mind seeing some nice Avatars that people have created but this animated stuff goes too far at times.

Firestar
Mar 16, 2012, 06:03 PM
Avatars or posts that contain them?

I'm pretty sure this isn't really possible currently, and it's been asked before (somewhat recently). The mods suggest that you report the post (if you mean post) if they're distracting the topic and add no value.

gquiring
Mar 16, 2012, 06:06 PM
I am not trying to turn anyone in. It's an Avatar that has a lot of motion. If a user posts a lot in one thread the left side of the screen is very distracting with the same avatar moving around.

-aggie-
Mar 16, 2012, 06:08 PM
I'll get right on that!

SandboxGeneral
Mar 16, 2012, 06:10 PM
I don't think there is any way to prevent them from showing.

-aggie-
Mar 16, 2012, 06:12 PM
I don't think there is any way to prevent them from showing.

There is. Go to Safari>Preferences>Appearance and unclick Display Images when pages opens. Kind of a pain to avoid some avatars.

Mine is perfect, of course. :)

r.j.s
Mar 16, 2012, 06:15 PM
I am not trying to turn anyone in. It's an Avatar that has a lot of motion. If a user posts a lot in one thread the left side of the screen is very distracting with the same avatar moving around.

You can disable avatars in Edit Options: but that disables all avatars.

If it is truly distracting, you can still report one of that member's posts so we can take a look at it.

gquiring
Mar 16, 2012, 06:15 PM
For now I disabled showing Avatars in my user profile. I really like seeing some of the cute Avatars people make but some threads are just out of control with moving non-sense.

SandboxGeneral
Mar 16, 2012, 06:20 PM

Absolutely is, and so is mine!

Shrink
Mar 16, 2012, 07:15 PM
There is. Go to Safari>Preferences>Appearance and unclick Display Images when pages opens. Kind of a pain to avoid some avatars.

You're absolutely right...all except for the Texas part.:rolleyes: :D

Now mine is, indeed, nonpareil.:cool:

Porco
Mar 16, 2012, 07:26 PM
Free ad-blocking plugins can target specific images. I use AdBlock for Safari (http://safariadblock.com/) for example. I don't have a problem with most animated gifs here, but I've blocked some on some other sites I visit when they go beyond what I want to tolerate having to see. This means I don't have to block all avatars or images, just the ones I don't want.

Doctor Q
Mar 17, 2012, 01:20 AM
If an animated forum avatar has fast motion that makes it hard to read the forums, submit a Contact form and let the moderators know about it. Many users are perfectly willing to slow down (or remove) the motion of an avatar after a friendly request from the moderators.

leftywamumonkey
Mar 17, 2012, 01:39 AM
You're absolutely right...all except for the Texas part.:rolleyes: :D

Hahaha, you're right! :D