PDA

View Full Version : Ripping 1080p Video in Apple's New Format

AusMacFan
Mar 16, 2012, 08:37 PM
Hey guys.
So I have a bunch of blu-rays at home, and I'm planning to rip them for my new ipad. But before I do, I was wondering, is there any way to rip them using that same compression format that Apple uses for their 1080p videos on itunes? Most of them are around 4gb, wheras the ones I rip tend to be quite larger than that. Up (which is around 1h 30m long) was almost 6gb when I ripped it.

So, is it possible to rip them with the same compression as Apple?

linkgx1
Mar 16, 2012, 08:40 PM
I hope you have a 64gb model.

chiefpavvy
Mar 16, 2012, 08:45 PM
You will never get iTunes Store quality at the same file size and bitrate. Why? Because iTunes receives the original studio masters and encodes from said masters. The best we can do is Blu-Ray disc (good, but still a lossy format) so we need more bits and a larger file size to achieve (roughly) equal quality. It'll never be quite as good, but good enough. Try moving the RF slider in Handbrake up a notch or two (say RF 21 or 22) and see how it goes. Depends on the length of the movie and other things (film grain? lots of dark/action scenes?) but you can produce files roughly the same size as iTunes Store (4-5GB for a 1080P version of a film). They won't be quite as sharp as iTunes but they look damn good, for sure.

ripkord
Mar 16, 2012, 08:58 PM
By up he means down with the handbrake slider ;-)

AusMacFan
Mar 17, 2012, 12:21 AM
You will never get iTunes Store quality at the same file size and bitrate. Why? Because iTunes receives the original studio masters and encodes from said masters. The best we can do is Blu-Ray disc (good, but still a lossy format) so we need more bits and a larger file size to achieve (roughly) equal quality. It'll never be quite as good, but good enough.

Hang on, I'm a bit confused, I thought Blu-ray quality was better than iTunes 1080p because of the compression that apple uses: http://arstechnica.com/apple/guides/2012/03/the-ars-itunes-1080p-vs-blu-ray-shootout.ars

Therefore, seeing as I'm ripping from a superior quality format, shouldn't I be able to achieve something similar to iTunes quality?

EnderTW
Mar 17, 2012, 12:39 AM
Hang on, I'm a bit confused, I thought Blu-ray quality was better than iTunes 1080p because of the compression that apple uses: http://arstechnica.com/apple/guides/2012/03/the-ars-itunes-1080p-vs-blu-ray-shootout.ars

Therefore, seeing as I'm ripping from a superior quality format, shouldn't I be able to achieve something similar to iTunes quality?

He's saying at the same bit rate and quality settings. iTunes 1080p is horrible but you won't get the same quality if you were to match the settings because iTunes source is lossless. Basically you'd get a bigger size.

chiefpavvy
Mar 18, 2012, 04:24 PM

Similar, perhaps. Equal? Not a chance.

iTunes (or the studios) are compressing the iTunes Store material from the original studio masters - these are infinitely better quality than even Blu-Ray disc (lossy to begin with) which allows them (and only them) to produce a file of a given size and bitrate for a quality you will NEVER match. No advanced option string or extra hours of encoding will get you there.

Zetaprime
Mar 18, 2012, 06:21 PM
I hope you have a 64gb model.

With the Retina display I think it would be foolish to get anything less than the 64gb model.