PDA

View Full Version : Zaggfolio buyers BEWARE!

captrlp
Mar 16, 2012, 08:53 PM
This may be long winded, but worth the read. This information applies to the carbon fiber/silver model currently shipping.

Zagg did not design the maximum coverage shield until actual receipt of the new iPad into their corporate headquarters, due to the changes. Therefore, how were they able to "redesign" the folio for the new iPad?

The following information is based on conversations with Zagg employees and personal experience with the "new" folio. Last week, a Zagg employee, with knowledge of designing, personally told me that the folio is being enlarged to accommodate the change in thickness and that the camera hole is being enlarged. Since that time I have had conversations with CS, Retail Sales, Design and Management. I have not received the same information from any two employees in the company. As of 03/16/2012, an Asst Manager told me that they "think" Zagg will have to redesign the folio for the new iPad, due to "all of the problems we're having". A second employee present stated that "I don't know if they'll redesign it or not".
The current carbon fiber model that is being shipped as the new iPad model is the same as the iPad 2 version.

The following design issues exist:
Camera hole is same size
Folio is same size, to include the internal dimensions
Folio magnets have not been relocated to match new iPad

Findings while at Zagg corporate retail store:
New iPad camera will work with the iPad 2 folio
New iPad will fit in the iPad 2 folio.
New iPad with full body shield will fit iPad 2 folio without room to spare. Extremely difficult to remove from folio.
Some folios will activate auto on/off, most will not.
Folio will is difficult to close and latch due to new iPad dimensions.

There's a lot more information to substantiate that Zagg is falsely advertising the current model available as new iPad compatible. I'm willing to share it, if requested. I have informed Zagg that I would be sharing this information on the forum(s) and also filing a complaint with the BBB.

In closing, I caution you on purchasing the current model availalble for the new iPad, with the expectation that it is actually designed for and will work properly with the new iPad.

MrTennisNinja
Mar 16, 2012, 09:03 PM
I hate zaggfilio. It just doesn't work as it promises and it also feels really bulky. There is no latch so you can't secure the device properly. I would reccomend the key folio pro 2 by Kensington as it it very durable and am currently using it on my new iPad. It's a really good value on amazon and it works very well. Best thing is. When you put the device in the slot you can also attach a smart cover. Fully compatible!!!!!!

rkenned
Mar 17, 2012, 12:10 PM
The folios are different. I have tried both on my new iPad and the newer version fits whereas the older version is too tight to slide into.

Would love to see the information you have to substantiate your claim...

scirica
Mar 17, 2012, 12:18 PM
Long conversation on this already on another thread, but same results. Zagg tried to quickly get a "new iPad" Zaggfolio out there and all they did was make the inner suede-like material thinner. This was not enought to accommodate the thickness of the new iPad and didn't take into consideration the move of the lock/unlock feature.

I'm using my supposed new iPad case right now on my old iPad 2. It fits perfectly, which tells me it will not fit the new iPad waiting for me when I get home on Monday. Very disappointed but I believe they will make this right. It just might take a while.

TC25
Mar 17, 2012, 12:19 PM
This may be long winded, ...

You can never have enough threads on the same topic. Thanks!

scirica
Mar 17, 2012, 12:20 PM
The folios are different. I have tried both on my new iPad and the newer version fits whereas the older version is too tight to slide into.

Would love to see the information you have to substantiate your claim...

The folios that went out early (Carbon Fiber) are definitely not made for the new iPad even though Zagg CSR's assured us they were the new design. This has been substantiated.

TC25
Mar 17, 2012, 12:21 PM
I hate zaggfilio. It just doesn't work as it promises and it also feels really bulky. There is no latch so you can't secure the device properly. I would reccomend the key folio pro 2 by Kensington as it it very durable and am currently using it on my new iPad. It's a really good value on amazon and it works very well. Best thing is. When you put the device in the slot you can also attach a smart cover. Fully compatible!!!!!!

Someone posted in another thread about the new iPad bringing out product shills. Now, where was that thread?

Travisimo
Mar 17, 2012, 02:19 PM
Well I just ordered the orange case for my new iPad and i'll report back when I receive it.

aucuba11527
Mar 17, 2012, 02:56 PM
Well I just ordered the orange case for my new iPad and i'll report back when I receive it.

I just picked up the ZAGGFolio at best buy - guy was putting them on display as I was there. The sticker on the box states Compatible with iPad 2 and iPad (3rd Generation). I had just returned my targus Versavue due to issue around fit and the fact the magnetic on/off does not work.

Initial information on the Zagg - magnetic on/off works really well. The clasp for securing is tight and not really easy to use but this may wear a little. Quality is not great - there are a number of imperfections on the case. It does of course add bulk but the iPad fits really well. Without the keyboard inserted the case is not a good fit - too loose - although the on/off and clasp still work fine

I am going to keep this for a few days to see how it works for me. The protection is better than nothing and I can always take it back

OneMike
Mar 17, 2012, 03:56 PM
I just picked up the ZAGGFolio at best buy - guy was putting them on display as I was there. The sticker on the box states Compatible with iPad 2 and iPad (3rd Generation). I had just returned my targus Versavue due to issue around fit and the fact the magnetic on/off does not work.

Initial information on the Zagg - magnetic on/off works really well. The clasp for securing is tight and not really easy to use but this may wear a little. Quality is not great - there are a number of imperfections on the case. It does of course add bulk but the iPad fits really well. Without the keyboard inserted the case is not a good fit - too loose - although the on/off and clasp still work fine

I am going to keep this for a few days to see how it works for me. The protection is better than nothing and I can always take it back

Just picked up one at best buy as well. So far everything is working perfect and I'm very happy with it.

pekoe1111
Mar 17, 2012, 07:26 PM
Seems to fit the IPad fine and not too thick. Only other choice is the Logitech Folding Keyboard but this folio seems like a lot cleaner approach than that Logitech with a Smart Cover.

I can also fold this all the way back to use the IPad as a tablet,mwhich I do about 80% of the time.

wirelessness
Mar 17, 2012, 11:49 PM
I hate zaggfilio. It just doesn't work as it promises and it also feels really bulky. There is no latch so you can't secure the device properly.

Are you smoking something? The case has a very secure latch. I could not possibly open by accident. It latches so tight it's somewhat difficult to open. Oh and it's not anymore bulky than other KEYBOARD cases.

mortenandersen
Mar 18, 2012, 12:01 AM
Are you smoking something? The case has a very secure latch. I could not possibly open by accident. It latches so tight it's somewhat difficult to open. Oh and it's not anymore bulky than other KEYBOARD cases.

I completely agree with "wirelessness". A minimum of the limited capacity to being critical about one self before posting such nonsense, should be used, and such not-understandable hate-posts do not contribute to anything that makes sense, but just occupies space - what a waste!

MrTennisNinja
Mar 18, 2012, 12:09 AM
totally forgot about the latch. Its nice to see how people thrash others for just making a simple mistake about a product. Be respectful about disagreements for petes sake. Such immaturity. Btw, ZAGG has a reputation of not giving you what you ordered. So be careful about that. I got a zaggfolio case and didn't like it due to various disconnections, unable to adjust large viewing angles, it felt too mechanical, whereas the kensington keyfolio pro 2 felt very natural and flexible. The keyboard is magnetic so you don't have to slide it out of something you can easily just plop it out of its case.

coolbreeze
Mar 18, 2012, 03:46 PM
Can someone who purchased from Best Buy post the product SKU? I saw them in Best Buy today ($99) that had the hastily applied "Compatible with the new iPad" sticker on them, but then I saw the identical product at Toys R Us without the sticker for $49 on clearance.

I'm positive it's the same exact model without the sticker. Here is the Toys R Us SKU:

fanchee
Mar 18, 2012, 07:10 PM
The one I picked up from Best Buy looks exactly like your photo, but mine has the "compatible with iPad 2 and iPad (3rd gen.)

The sku is 8 43404 08281 0.

scirica
Mar 19, 2012, 04:02 PM
Just got home and picked up my new iPad from the office. I'm really happy to say that my on/off works! I was convinced after reading all these posts that those of us that received them early last week (carbon fiber, saying iPad 2 on the box) were screwed.

It is VERY snug in the case though. We'll have to see if it loosens up just a little bit with wear.

fishmd
Mar 30, 2012, 10:17 PM
So I just bought one of these from Best Buy and like the others who posted here and got theirs from there, mine works great as well. Shuts it off no problems and and turns it on no problem with the magnets. Keyboard works flawlessly. Fit is tight but does not seem overly so. I would not want it to fit losely anyways. Yes, mine did have the sticker on it like others have noted saying it is ipad 3 compatible. I don't know. Maybe I was just lucky with it.

neweipadfan
Mar 30, 2012, 10:37 PM
So I just bought one of these from Best Buy and like the others who posted here and got theirs from there, mine works great as well. Shuts it off no problems and and turns it on no problem with the magnets. Keyboard works flawlessly. Fit is tight but does not seem overly so. I would not want it to fit losely anyways. Yes, mine did have the sticker on it like others have noted saying it is ipad 3 compatible. I don't know. Maybe I was just lucky with it.

yup no probs here still loving it

scirica
Mar 31, 2012, 10:53 AM
A couple more weeks wth my Carbon Fiber Zaggfolio and I have to say I'm very happy. While snug, it still slides in and out with no problem. And as mentioned before, this is a great keyboard...perhaps the best hardware keyboard/folio combination available.

Paranoia has subsided...

ufgatorbait
Mar 31, 2012, 04:15 PM
Has anyone tried the new leather ZaggFolio options at 129.00 dollars?

zagg2
Apr 12, 2012, 11:31 AM
Despite what has been posted, I can assure you that the ZAGGfolio has been redesigned to fit both the iPad 2 and the new iPad. The packaging is very similar but the UPC has been changed to 0843404082810 for the black carbon with silver keyboard.

ZAGG identified the issue with the magnet not putting the iPad to sleep within hours of the launch of the new iPad, and has been able to correct these in all but some of the original shipments. Should you have one that does not operate properly, you can call ZAGG for a warranty replacement.

To answer the last question, I have the leather in the alligator print-it fits my iPad 2 and iPad 3 wonderfully!

Travisimo
Apr 12, 2012, 08:24 PM
I've been using the orange Zaggfolio with my iPad (2012) for a couple of weeks now. I have not run into any problems and the iPad fits very nicely. I am able to remove/insert the iPad fairly easily to use with my other case as well. The keyboard isn't as nice as a full laptop/desktop keyboard, but it is serviceable. If I had to order again, however, I'm not sure I'd order orange just because it shows dirt very noticeably and is harder to keep clean (but looks cool).

ixodes
Apr 12, 2012, 08:40 PM
When you choose to be an early adopter, you take a risk greater than those who wait.

Instant gratification has it's price.

It's as simple as that. :)

Lenow
Apr 13, 2012, 07:57 AM
I ordered a ZaggFolio for the new iPad in alligator leather that was clearly ordered and sent for the new iPad. When it arrived, I tested it and it did not turn the iPad on and off. I called customer support and they told me that they had mistakenly shipped Folios for the new iPad without the magnet repair. They agreed to ship me a "new" and "magnet-fixed" Folio but told me that they were backordered until early May.

So, they were very nice, but this strikes me as a significant quality control error to watch out for. I am waiting for my new Adonit Writer Plus and will post my comparison when it arrives.

fishmd
Apr 13, 2012, 09:20 AM
I ordered a ZaggFolio for the new iPad in alligator leather that was clearly ordered and sent for the new iPad. When it arrived, I tested it and it did not turn the iPad on and off. I called customer support and they told me that they had mistakenly shipped Folios for the new iPad without the magnet repair. They agreed to ship me a "new" and "magnet-fixed" Folio but told me that they were backordered until early May.

So, they were very nice, but this strikes me as a significant quality control error to watch out for. I am waiting for my new Adonit Writer Plus and will post my comparison when it arrives.

Hey, did you get your writer plus shipped out yet? I ordred too, but still has not shipped. :confused:

I have one of the new zaggfolios also, and am hoping the return it once I get the writer plus as I am pretty sure I will like that one a lot better. I hate that with the zagg you are stuck with only one angle for the iPad to sit at.

ZAGGchick
Apr 13, 2012, 05:07 PM
I want to take a moment and give some facts about the ZAGGfolio rumors that are flying around. Please feel free to share this information with other people who may benefit from it. If there is any further question or need of assistance please feel free to contact me on Facebook or Twitter (@ZAGGchick).

Folio redesign:
Our ZAGGfolio has under gone a simple redesign to allow it to work with both the iPad 2 and the new iPad. Due to the very similiar designs of the two iPads this design change only required a minimal adjustment to increase the interior size. Inside the top portion of the ZAGGfolio is a thin layer of padding under the micro-fiber lining. This padding allows for a flexible and resilient cushion which accommodates the variances in manufacturing for both the iPad and the ZAGGfolio. By reducing the thickness of this padding we are able to not only fit the iPad 2, but can accommodate the slightly thicker new iPad. No other changes were required to enable full functionality of the new iPad.

Magnet issue with folios not putting iPad to sleep:
With the new iPad the internal switch that allows the device to be put to sleep is now only activated by the negative polarity of a magnet inside of a cover or ZAGGfolio. We identified this change the day of the launch of the new iPad and have corrected the manufacture of all ZAGGfolios to ensure that this function works properly. Some ZAGGfolios were shipped prior to the launch of the iPad and may not place the device in sleep mode when closed. We will exchange any folio that has the internal magnet in the wrong configuration. Just find me on Facebook or Twitter (@ZAGGchick) and send me a private message with your order number and details and I will get you taken care of.

Packaging.
With the launch of the new iPad, we were unaware of the proper nomenclature to use prior to its official announcement. In order to have the new ZAGGfolio available at launch the decision was made to package these new ZAGGfolios in a very similar box with a new UPC (843404082810). We also changed the background of a particular logo on the front to all white which would serve as a visual cue to retailers to differentiate it from the existing ZAGGfolios. Many of these new ZAGGfolios were already packaged and en route to distribution centers prior to the launch of the new iPad. Although we were confident that this ZAGGfolio worked with the iPad 2, we would not know until the actual date of launch of the new iPad that it would work with certainty, therefore the printed packages only stated that it was compatible with the iPad 2. Testing the morning of the launch (after we had purchased the new iPad) confirmed that it worked well. At this point we began in earnest to add a sticker to include the compatibility for both the iPad 2 and the new iPad to as many of the packages as possible.

I hope that his helps clear up any questions or concern you may have with your ZAGGfolio.

ZAGGchick