PDA

View Full Version : 7448 upgrade

G5 Mac Daddy
Mar 16, 2012, 09:27 PM
I'm seriously thinking about buying one of these upgrades if I can ever find one for sale. I want to test it against my G5 machine. In the real world, I wonder how it feels compared to the G5 machines.

skinniezinho
Mar 17, 2012, 04:36 AM
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/MAXG48D1800/

zen.state (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=48977) has one, he is the best person to give you details about that processor.

pistooli
Mar 17, 2012, 04:59 AM
Supply limited. One available! :-)

G5 Mac Daddy
Mar 17, 2012, 10:24 AM
Supply limited. One available! :-)

What ya got ? Is it a dualie? How much money are we talking about? PM me. :D

pistooli
Mar 17, 2012, 10:41 AM
I was talking about the link posted above. :-( They have one left.

jchase2057
Mar 17, 2012, 10:47 AM
I've always wanted one for my sawtooth but 600 is a big chunk of change.

G5 Mac Daddy
Mar 17, 2012, 11:01 AM
WOW thats awesome. Now I want to blow a big chunk of money for silly fun....

jchase2057
Mar 17, 2012, 11:22 AM
if you do it get a dual. What powermac would it be going in?

G5 Mac Daddy
Mar 17, 2012, 12:19 PM
I'd love to put it in a quicksilver.

zen.state
Mar 18, 2012, 08:22 AM
They must have made a small batch of dual 7448 to meet demand. The only reason they are so expensive is the rarity of them along with the fact that the 7448 is the bleeding edge tech of all the G4's. It's far more tiny and advanced than other G4 chips at 90nm vs the 130-200nm size of all the others.

If I were you I would be all over that. I would love to buy that dual but will let you have it. If you ever decide to sell it just send me a private msg here and I will buy it in a heartbeat. The single like mine are rare enough but the dual are even more rare.

The bottom line is you would have the fastest G4 on earth no matter what G4 tower you put it in from the Sawtooth to the QS (no MDD compatibility). My single 7448 keeps up with dual 1.8GHz G5's so a dual 7448 will eclipse that for certain.

G5 Mac Daddy
Mar 18, 2012, 08:47 AM
They must have made a small batch of dual 7448 to meet demand. The only reason they are so expensive is the rarity of them along with the fact that the 7448 is the bleeding edge tech of all the G4's. It's far more tiny and advanced than other G4 chips at 90nm vs the 130-200nm size of all the others.

If I were you I would be all over that. I would love to buy that dual but will let you have it. If you ever decide to sell it just send me a private msg here and I will buy it in a heartbeat. The single like mine are rare enough but the dual are even more rare.

The bottom line is you would have the fastest G4 on earth no matter what G4 tower you put it in from the Sawtooth to the QS (no MDD compatibility). My single 7448 keeps up with dual 1.8GHz G5's so a dual 7448 will eclipse that for certain.

I bet it would smoke my dual g5 machine. The six hundred dollar price tag is really steep but I'm in serious negotiations with my wife for it ....
On a completely different note, Im looking at a 2.7 dualie machine to replace my dualie 1.8 machine with. Its alot cheaper way to go but it doesn't have the allure of the fastest g4 on the planet.:D

Nameci
Mar 18, 2012, 09:46 AM
Let's compare ourselves to rare car collectors and enthusiast. There is no some of money that can equate to the bragging rights. Price is too steep for me but if I have cash to spare right now, I will buy it in a heart beat. It is much more enticing than let say a new macbook air. The sawtooth would be the best candidate I guess because of the maximum ram you can put into it compared with the others. Zen could correct me on this.

zen.state
Mar 18, 2012, 02:26 PM
Let's compare ourselves to rare car collectors and enthusiast. There is no some of money that can equate to the bragging rights. Price is too steep for me but if I have cash to spare right now, I will buy it in a heart beat. It is much more enticing than let say a new macbook air. The sawtooth would be the best candidate I guess because of the maximum ram you can put into it compared with the others. Zen could correct me on this.

The Gigabit ethernet model has the same 2GB RAM capacity as the Sawtooth vs. the 1.5GB limit in the Digital Audio and QS. Over the years though I have noticed the Gigagbit PSU's are not near as reliable as the Sawtooth are. I would prefer the onboard gigabit vs. the gigabit PCI card I have to use but the PSU tradeoff made the choice for me.

The DA and QS are both very reliable towers also but in my experiences the extra 512MB RAM is more of an overall system benefit than the 33MHz faster bus and AGP 4x vs 2x. OS X loves RAM as we all know so the 33% extra of 2GB vs. 1.5GB and better PSU is why I chose the Sawtooth.

To get even more life out of the great Sawtooth PSU's it's a good idea to replace the fan with a good 80mm ball bearing that blows at least 30 CFM.

G5 Mac Daddy
Mar 18, 2012, 02:56 PM
I want to see this duallie reach its full potential. It would be nice if there were some 1gb chips for this old beast.

zen.state
Mar 18, 2012, 02:58 PM
I want to see this duallie reach its full potential. It would be nice if there were some 1gb chips for this old beast.

It's a logic board limitation so larger dimms or not the limits would be the same.

G5 Mac Daddy
Mar 18, 2012, 03:16 PM
Someone is selling a sonnet duet upgrade on ebay that claims to be dual 1.8 7455's. I thought the dual 1.8's were either 7447a's or 7448's. Its got my curiosity peaking...

skinniezinho
Mar 18, 2012, 03:54 PM
The Gigabit ethernet model has the same 2GB RAM capacity as the Sawtooth vs. the 1.5GB limit in the Digital Audio and QS. Over the years though I have noticed the Gigagbit PSU's are not near as reliable as the Sawtooth are. I would prefer the onboard gigabit vs. the gigabit PCI card I have to use but the PSU tradeoff made the choice for me.

The DA and QS are both very reliable towers also but in my experiences the extra 512MB RAM is more of an overall system benefit than the 33MHz faster bus and AGP 4x vs 2x. OS X loves RAM as we all know so the 33% extra of 2GB vs. 1.5GB and better PSU is why I chose the Sawtooth.

To get even more life out of the great Sawtooth PSU's it's a good idea to replace the fan with a good 80mm ball bearing that blows at least 30 CFM.

Mine is Gigabit Ethernet (Powermac 3.3 I guess) and the fan of the psu is making some noise/vibration any suggestion on make/model for the psu?

Cox Orange
Mar 18, 2012, 04:05 PM
about the RAM:
I do have 2GB RAM in my Sawtooth and I chose this, because I thought it would be better, but it depends. I did convert DV-files to h.264 and under 1GB of RAM were used (I have tested the RAM several times over hours so it is not, that the RAM can't be used). With Logic, 2GB of RAM is an advantage though!

About the PSU of the Gigabit ethernet: one could still replace a defective PSU cheaply, but the potential to harm other system components by a defective PSU might be worth considering ;)

PS: Zen, I tried to send you a message. It did not work. Maybe you can have a look at my post in "Any way to make my Sawtooth fan run quieter or any recommended fan replacement?" started by Alexreich.

InuNacho
Mar 18, 2012, 06:13 PM
I'd like to know how Unreal 2004 and other games play on that. If you ever get it you should totally run games before and after the upgrade and share the results.

Cox Orange
Mar 18, 2012, 07:04 PM
Mine is Gigabit Ethernet (Powermac 3.3 I guess) and the fan of the psu is making some noise/vibration any suggestion on make/model for the psu?

Here they explain how to "transform" a PC ATX PSU to Mac http://atxg4.com/gige-da.html

pistooli
Mar 21, 2012, 04:50 AM
Someone has bought the dual 1.8GHz upgrade card (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/MAXG48D1800/), which was linked above :D

Couple of days ago it was "One Available", and not it is "Sold Out"

G5 Mac Daddy
Mar 21, 2012, 10:30 AM
I saw that... :(

pistooli
Mar 21, 2012, 11:05 AM
I saw that... :(

So it was not you. :-(

G5 Mac Daddy
Mar 21, 2012, 02:42 PM
Believe me I am kicking myself...I might not see another for a long while...

cocacolakid
Mar 21, 2012, 02:46 PM
OWC has the dual 1.6ghz 7447a upgrade on sale, marked down from $450 to $320...

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/MAXG47D1600/

Personally I think it would be a bit nuts to spend even that much upgrading an old G4.

zen.state
Mar 23, 2012, 06:28 PM

Your symptom sounds clearly like a fan bearing gone bad. A new fan will solve that.

I really like the Antec Tricool dual ball bearing as they have great all round quality for longevity and performance. A great feature is they have a built in fan controller on a short wire that you can easily poke of of a seam crack in the PSU. I have an 80mm in both my Sawtooth PSU's with the controller sticking out right at the inside roof of the tower.

Be aware that some Sawtooth and Gigabit PSU's have an enclosed 2 pin power connector meaning that the 2 pins are surrounded in a plastic plug guide so the 3 pin connector on the Antec or most any fan needs either an adaptor or just wire the red and black into the old fans plug.

zen.state
Mar 23, 2012, 06:52 PM
Someone is selling a sonnet duet upgrade on ebay that claims to be dual 1.8 7455's. I thought the dual 1.8's were either 7447a's or 7448's. Its got my curiosity peaking...

No such thing as a 1.8GHz 7455 single or dual. The highest they ever went out of the factory was 1.42GHz and some overclockers have gotten to 1.67. A single 7448 would be a better investment than a dual 7447.

I would never trash any of the G4's but wanting a 7448 and getting a 7447 would be the equivalent of wanting a steak and getting a bowl of beef broth.

A dual 7455 even as low as dual 1GHz will be as fast or faster than any of those dual 7447 1.6GHz+ and also cheaper.

If you want a 7447 upgrade though then stay away from Sonnet. Their 7455 upgrades are great but their 7447 are more underpowered somehow vs. the NewerTech.

The best bang for your buck would be a used dual 7455 upgrade on ebay if you can find one. The 7455 only has half the L2 of a 7447 (256 vs 512) but the overall chip design and L3 on the 7455 makes them much better performers. By size alone the 7447 should be faster as it's 130nm vs. the 180nm of the 7455 but thats not the case at all. For a comparison I have found you can add 400-600MHz onto any 7455 clock speed for what it will equal in equivalent 7447 performance.

G5 Mac Daddy
Mar 23, 2012, 10:02 PM
Wow thanks Zen. That was very informative and I have found a dual 7455 for about 100 dollars so I think I'm going to play with that.

zen.state
Mar 24, 2012, 09:25 AM
Wow thanks Zen. That was very informative and I have found a dual 7455 for about 100 dollars so I think I'm going to play with that.

Nice find! What clock speed and maker?

G5 Mac Daddy
Mar 24, 2012, 02:00 PM
1.2 is the speed and its a powerlogic? Or maybe powermax I can't remember.

zen.state
Mar 25, 2012, 08:00 AM
1.2 is the speed and its a powerlogic? Or maybe powermax I can't remember.

It's Powerlogix. Powermax sounds like you've mistaken the NewerTech MaxPower (7448 and 7447 upgrades) name.

Other World Computing owns both. Powerlogix it totally dead now though and OWC carry on with just NewerTech MaxPower upgrades. My 7448 is a MaxPower.

G5 Mac Daddy
Mar 25, 2012, 10:46 AM
It's powerlogix. I think for the hundred bucks I'm going to spend on it I think it will be a fun toy.