Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Mine are for a wireless dock, color screen, removable battery, better "default" earbuds, and a built in speaker. Thats right, a built in speaker. I am not talking uber good quality, nothing to compete with bose or the other portable speakers, just something for when you are hanging with a friend, or group of friends, you can share your tunes. I would also like to see a move to the mini form factor. IMHO it is easier to handle, looks better, and seems to have a better build quality. I would also like to a rejoining of the iPod line. There are too many variations, too many design types. There is the possibility at some point if this trend continues that consumers could become confused at the differences. One form factor, screen, capabilities. Only difference is the capacity engraving on the back.

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
Gapless playback!!! If it was done with 1 big file and some sort of cue file so that we still had different tracks rather than just 1 long track i would be happy

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
furryrabidbunny said:
a built in speaker. I am not talking uber good quality, just something for when you are hanging with a friend, or group of friends, you can share your tunes.

Current iPods already have some sort of built-in speaker (clicker), but I get your point. It would be nice. I am alos hoping for built-in Bluetooth module (wireless speakers, maybe even sync with computer) Anybody knows the speed of BT2.0?

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
I think it would be cool if they put a touch screen on the iPod. This would mean they could make the screen a lot bigger and if they wanted, they could always place a virtual click wheel on the screen. BUT there's no way that'll happen :p

I hope they do put Bluetooth on it and an integrated speaker (similar to those in phones) would be cool. A larger cache would be nice too.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
1) BlueTooth
2) Color Screen
3) I would like to see a new UI. The one now, even though very good, is getting very stale. I would like to see something fresh and that really takes advantage of the color screen.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
BT would be cool, color screen is a must, speaker would be neat. Personally I'm more waiting for the iPod mini update...I want to see an 8-10gb mini.

rowanhall

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
i would love to see bluetooth and dab mostly. but how cool would a wifi chip be, you could stream files directly to the airport express without another computer! essentially the ipod becomes the remote control and the music device for your hifi system! if the nintendo ds can integrate wifi, surely the ipod can to!

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
perhaps these 5g ipods will have video playback.. but only "music video playback" lol.. those movies you want to see... well those will be left for the 6g ipod... you know what's funny.. now that i think of it.. i don't really see myself watching video on an ipod even if i had the feature... so with that said i think apple might do something where the typical ipods people buy.. like the current 20 gb.. will go color and allow folks to view album artwork.. but no photo/video options at all.. the minis will follow the same way.. then the current photo's will stay the way they are.. but apple will discontinue them and stop offering software updates to them b/c you know apple is like that.. and thus a new ipod video line will come out that does music video/photo support...

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
5g iPod

Im almost perfectly happy with the iPods as they are. The biggest thing I want to see is much improved battery. 12hrs doesnt cut it for the 'standard' .... Creative players have been up to 24hrs for at least a year...Color screens would be great to have standard as well :)

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
I never thought about a portable iTMS. That would be great. Have integrated wifi in the iPod and give it the same software that is going into iTunes enabled phones (if they allow for purchases away from a computer). I also agree with the interface. Going back to the iTunes enabled phones, they will probably share the same interface, so there is no confusion going from one device to another. I forgot about the clicker speaker, so i guess my idea wouldn't be that much work, i would just like a cool little speaker grill on the top, one that could be covered though. That would be the first thing people would complain about... stuff getting into their iPod via the speaker. A removable battery with better life to me is a must. Apple has to just do a better job than a removable backside. It would just benefit everyone. No more lawsuites when they have to be replaced for nearly the cost of an iPod, no more people ruining iPods by changing them at home or putting in faulty ones. I actually will not get another iPod till they have a removable battery. I have a first generation mini and its life is down to about four hours.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
The iPods are pretty neat as they are but it'd be nice to see some updates soon.

-80+ gigs
-Colour screen throughout the line (Possible to make it readable without the need for the backlight on all the time?)
-Built in FM Radio (probably not happening)
-Same 4G design with click-wheel only with matte anodized case like the mini
-Bluetooth for wireless headphones
-18 hours+ battery life
-Gapless playback!!! (how could i forget)
-Better sound quality - No more static issues which have been apparent since late 3rd Gen to all current iPods excluding the shuffle! Get it sorted Apple!
-Any reduction in size is welcomed but not important

:cool:

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Everything everyone has mentioned , but I want to list again: 10watt integrated stereo speakers, bluetooth 2.0, wireless dock, hi-res color screen (OLED perhaps), changeable faceplate, removeable batteries, fm transmitter, AM/FM/XM radio capabilities, airport extreme built-in, slot for PSP compatible games, text messaging capability and a mini web browser.

Also 100 hour battery life and gapless playback.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
built in iTMS would be great - and probably lends credence to the "Apple developing/buying satellites." rumors. The Apple buys/partners with Sirrus/XM kind of died our with the Apple-owned sat. rumors. My guess is that eventually iPods will be like the portable sat-ready offers Sirrus/XM already have.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
I'd like to see:
  • Gapless Playback
  • Longer Battery Life
  • iTMS integration (Great idea!)

Most of the rest of the features mentioned are either impractical (for a 1 revision jump) or non-feasible for current technologies.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I'd like to see -

1 - push/pull transistor technology rather than capacitors, like the shuffle has; this produces far superior bass response,

2 - stereo line in recording, so I can use the iPod for recording band rehearsal rather than mini-disc.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
if a 5th gen ipod is released sometime soon... then its safe to say that apple will be doing summerly ipod releases? hehe :p

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
Home folder so you can boot your Mac on someone elses. I think that if they put bluetooth in then remote iTMS would be done through you mobile phone. It would only take 4-5 minutes to download each track and if some phones get BT2.0 then it would be even quicker.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
i'd like a current ipod ( regular not photo) but smaller, better battery life and cheaper. i really could care less about bluetooth, photo capability/color, all sorts of extra ports and junk, i want an ipod. of course if they could pack in all the extra shtuff without detracting from size, ease of use and all the other great things great, but a jack of all trades master of none is not something apple should make.
imho

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
homerjward said:
i'd like a current ipod ( regular not photo) but smaller, better battery life and cheaper.

Hmmm... sounds like the iPod mini to me ;) but yeah i understand that you want a big drive, but in a smaller package.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
roadapple said:
wifi and widgets

The wifi is a great idea for buying songs on iTunes but widgets??? how in the world we use those?

Other things....

• When you are listening to a song if you could press the center button then up pops a menu with songs from the artist/album and playlists
  • Lets say you are listening to a song from the Playlists then you go to the album if it would keep on playing insted of starting over again (that could be done with a simple upgrade though)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.