Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2005
1. Just how new will these things look and feel? I mean, will I not be able to tell that they were used at all, or are there sometimes dents/scratches/etc?

2. Do I still pay tax on refurbished products? If so, I guess I'd just be better off buying brand new from Amazon.

Thanks!

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
i have a refurb PB12', looked new althogh doenst come in a normal PB box, however the wifi antena was actually broken so i had to take it for repairs, but it is covered by the same guarantee than new stuff so it was free ,although inconvenient, it was worth the saving for me.

I did pay tax, even when buying from apple in CA and being in DC, which didn't make sense to me.

Tamer Brad said:
1. Just how new will these things look and feel? I mean, will I not be able to tell that they were used at all, or are there sometimes dents/scratches/etc?

2. Do I still pay tax on refurbished products? If so, I guess I'd just be better off buying brand new from Amazon.

Thanks!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Tamer Brad said:

Sometimes they do have scratches and such. But mostly they look like brand new units. Also some members have reported "freebies" still installed, like exra ram, bigger HDD's - you know, some of the BTO stuff.

As covered in a number of threads, Apple has to collect sales taxes for states that have a sales tax. Because Apple has a presence in every state - the state laws require them to collect the sales tax.

In many states you are still required to file the sales tax for items you have purchased through the mail or internet. YMMV.

guylafleur

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2004
Tokyo, Japan
refurbed PB

I`m typing this on my new/refurbished 12 inch Powerbook, nad loving every second of it.

There was no visible damage to the machine when I got it, and the way it runs is smooth as silk. And I`ll tell you what, with the money you save(200$), you can go out and have a great dinner to celebrate your frickin brilliance. :rolleyes:

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2005
guylafleur said:
I`m typing this on my new/refurbished 12 inch Powerbook, nad loving every second of it.

There was no visible damage to the machine when I got it, and the way it runs is smooth as silk. And I`ll tell you what, with the money you save(200$), you can go out and have a great dinner to celebrate your frickin brilliance. :rolleyes:

I could save more than that from Amazon because of no tax and rebates ... :x

GlynJones

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2005
My refurb PM Dual 1.8 G5 had a big crease in the front foot handle which made it lobsided. Using a cut down eraser to keep it level.

It really is pot luck what you get.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
GlynJones said:
My refurb PM Dual 1.8 G5 had a big crease in the front foot handle which made it lobsided. Using a cut down eraser to keep it level.

It really is pot luck what you get.

With something like that, I would think you could call them up and complain. At the very least I'd have documented it so they don't deny a warranyt claim later.

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
A year and 1 month ago, I bought a 3G iPod 10GB. It was brand new, I swear. Although it was in a different box, the iPod was wrapped in all the wrapping an original iPod comes in. Not a scratch or finger print on it.

And, they forgot to include the Firewire cable... bummer, I had to wait a few days before I could charge or use it, BUT:

They sent the Firewire Cable, Carrying Case, Dock and Remote! A few days later. I was happy with that. :)

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Glyn, I know it would have been a hassle, but I would have returned that tower and insisted on another one immediately before the 14 day no questions period expired.

Apple certifed refurbs are usually checked to comply with all new specs
before shipping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.